News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

yensidtlaw1969

Our artists (before all the printed ones they painted them!) would be able to paint up close and make it look great far away, they did a lot of faces and one guy did fine art in his spare time. Was very much a learned skill and talent.
That's my background, fine art, so that's how I like to make things - especially props that are significant to leading players. But sometimes time and budget doesn't allow and you've just got to set someone on making it look good from the audience and being dry before the paint call ends.

EDITED To Add: I just realized I misread your post, thinking it said your artists were able to make things look good both up close AND far away. That's what I was responding to when I wrote the above. Yes, it certainly is a skill to paint up close and sense how it will look from far away! Often changes come down to making sure things are harmonius together on the same stage - I once painted all the props for a show only to see it and realize the sets were painted in a VERY different fashion, and the supervisor never let on because they each looked good on their own. Clearly someone was fine with it, but I still cringe when I think about it . . . I was proud of the work that I did, but with more information I would have done things COMPLETELY differently!

Last edited:

JoeCamel

That's my background, fine art, so that's how I like to make things - especially props that are significant to leading players. But sometimes time and budget doesn't allow and you've just got to set someone on making it look good from the audience and being dry before the paint call ends.
They were cranking these out 3 -4 a week in a shop with space for two boards at a time. Overhead projector and a ponce bag for the layout then on go the lights to play paint by numbers. So impressive the amount of work they churned out.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Moat refilled around Cinderella Castle as Disney World 50th anniversary decoration work wraps up​

Cinderella-Castle_Full_41835.jpg

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
“Last night, our Imagineers utilized their immense creativity and ingenuity to MAGICALLY raise the water in the moat around Cinderella Castle! The storytelling around raising of the water is one that only Disney Imagineers can tell!” - THE Zach Riddley on Instduhgram.

😂
I will know the imagineers are for real when they overlay the castle as a giant churro castle.

Nubs70

“Last night, our Imagineers utilized their immense creativity and ingenuity to MAGICALLY raise the water in the moat around Cinderella Castle! The storytelling around raising of the water is one that only Disney Imagineers can tell!” - THE Zach Riddley on Instduhgram.

😂
The magical coffer dam. Mister Riddley should have nothing with the suffix of "gineer" associated with himself.

This is how we will begin irrigating with Brawndo.

Goofnut1980

I head there on Friday. I am interested to see how bad or good it looks with its plastic adornments. From pictures it seems like the castle is more "toy" like. They should have used fabric instead of plastic swags. JMO

LittleMerman

You see the cake treatment? This mild compared to that.
I loved the cake! At least that was a whole idea (except the back, what a mess). But the concept was complete so whether people liked it or not, the execution made sense for the Imagineers' intention. This looks like they just threw a bunch of junk on the castle to call it "decorations," which in fact they did. The castle now already has so many contrasting colors and they added even more colors with the 50th pieces. It's a bit of an eyesore to me.

Stupido

I think the bunting would have been more successful if they stuck to only the turrets. It doesn't need to be in-between them as well.

Overall I really like it though. 🤷‍♂️

Giss Neric

I like it but I must like tacky things. After all, I‘ve always liked seeing a castle at the end of a circa-1900 Midwestern town main street, which is objectively tacky.

I believe the medallion is set to be installed overnight on 9/30. It’s an easy job with the mounts in place.
Smart of them to choose the medallion instead of a banner to avoid mishaps like this. I always laugh when I watch the banner fail.

LittleMerman

I like it but I must like tacky things. After all, I‘ve always liked seeing a castle at the end of a circa-1900 Midwestern town main street, which is objectively tacky.

I believe the medallion is set to be installed overnight on 9/30. It’s an easy job with the mounts in place.
That's my mindset too - it's easy to have an opinion about Disney's decisions but at the end of the day it's an almost 200 foot fake castle in the middle of Florida :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom