News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

Brian

I see paint fading often discussed here, sometimes as a rationale for odd color choices, and other times asking why they didn’t go bolder to accommodate for fading, but, and I’m asking this honestly out of curiosity, why are so many other tropical and even more equatorial locations known for their vibrant colors without having to accommodate the awkward/ugly pre-fade and post-optimal fade? Think Curaçao and Valparaíso. These locations surely experience as harsh of sunlight, don’t employ a team of full time painters, and yet are able to maintain their look. Is it an issue of lacking competent maintenance or choosing materials improperly? Surely the answer cannot be that we’ll have a garish paint scheme for a year or two. Then it fades and is what we hoped for about a year. Then it gets drab and sad for a year or 2.

They should really have multiple full scale mock-ups of a slice of the castle and all of the icons somewhere on property to test new treatments in the local conditions a year or more out, making sure that it’s beautiful when applied and at all stages throughout its intended lifespan. That is what I would do at least.

it’s just so curious to me.

The paint issues are confounding, especially considering that they literally have a PPG paint facility on property. You'd think they'd be able to figure it out.

ToTBellHop

The paint issues are confounding, especially considering that they literally have a PPG paint facility on property. You'd think they'd be able to figure it out.
They did figure it out. The Zach found unpublished Mary Blair paintings of Cinderella Castle made in 1948 that showed an iridescent castle and iridescent MagicBands. Just trust The Zach. He knows The Disney better than we do.

ToTBellHop

Or whichever marketing major is running his account
DF62FAD4-9F71-4A5E-ACFB-D097C4F3C827.jpeg

Unbanshee

Goes to show what a difference the camera and lighting conditions can make:

Low clouds, soft morning light through the fog, and a camera with settings that darken the blue turrets and mute the pink - it actually looks pretty good and fairly close to the concept art.

But then it can also look like this. No more low clouds, harsher mid-day light, and a camera with higher saturation levels that makes for a much more plasticy and tacky looking castle.

It looks great in the first pic, but awful in the second (sorry @wdwmagic - not blaming you! ;)).

The difference between a real camera and a phone camera. The majority of photos that hit the net are taken from a phone and not processed to represent reality...then there's wdwmagic with a real camera and proper processing

Brian

It seems they are going to have the Castle fully-decorated by Memorial Day, as originally planned. Perhaps it is smarter to do all of this work before thunderstorm season, though.
Quite sensible. It hasn't rained in, what, two months?

They did figure it out. The Zach found unpublished Mary Blair paintings of Cinderella Castle made in 1948 that showed an iridescent castle and iridescent MagicBands. Just trust The Zach. He knows The Disney better than we do.
I liked it better when "The Zach" was Joe Rhode.

jrhwdw

It seems they are going to have the Castle fully-decorated by Memorial Day, as originally planned. Perhaps it is smarter to do all of this work before thunderstorm season, though.
Do you think we'll see the 50th Crest by Memorial Day, or might TDO wait on that till say Labor Day?

I wish MK was in a better place by Memorial Day! Maybe we'll have new/more hope by then?

I will say however it was nice to see Mr. & Mrs. Easter Bunny Hop into MK today!!!! Saw it on Twitter!

TTA94

Do you think we'll see the 50th Crest by Memorial Day, or might TDO wait on that till say Labor Day?

I wish MK was in a better place by Memorial Day! Maybe we'll have new/more hope by then?

I will say however it was nice to see Mr. & Mrs. Easter Bunny Hop into MK today!!!! Saw it on Twitter!

Sad that awhile back the idea was there for some nighttime shows by memorial weekend.

TTA94

Somewhat pertains to this but awhile back I think you or someone else said if fireworks can’t return in the summer MK might do steady on projections like they did last holiday season? Is that still the plan? If so that would kinda make sense why they’d want the decorations up by Memorial Day.

ToTBellHop

Somewhat pertains to this but awhile back I think you or someone else said if fireworks can’t return in the summer MK might do steady on projections like they did last holiday season? Is that still the plan? If so that would kinda make sense why they’d want the decorations up by Memorial Day.
I don’t know. Certainly an option unless they’ve decided to just write-off FY ‘21.

TTA94

I do like it. I’d like it even better if the 50th was actually starting this summer and not 6 months or so from now. Not sure how far in advance prior overlays like the castle cake were done?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom