News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

tirian

Could you clarify what you mean?The projections happen only at night.
Around 2000, the trees were chopped down to allow clear views of Wishes, the first fireworks show to require a head-on view of the castle itself (as opposed to the sky above it). Then the area was further cleared for the projections.

I love the manicured gardens which were added a few years ago, but if we could have those and the trees again, the hub and castle courtyard would feel like a magical park again, which is the way it was intended to feel.

LittleBuford

Around 2000, the trees were chopped down to allow clear views of Wishes, the first fireworks show to require a head-on view of the castle itself (as opposed to the sky above it). Then the area was further cleared for the projections.

I love the manicured gardens which were added a few years ago, but if we could have those and the trees again, the hub and castle courtyard would feel like a magical park again, which is the way it was intended to feel.
I thought the comment was in reference to the colours of the castle only. Silly misunderstanding on my part.

tirian

For me, it's more about how faded they let the castle get. The bright noon sun always seemed to drown out some of the castle's features because of how white everything above the base was with only some faded blue roofs for contrast. I agree that the new pink is some times too dark in certain lighting, but I appreciate how accented the castle looks now. If there was a happy medium between the bright white and the dark pink I think we'd all be able to appreciate that (*ahem* Tokyo)
As you said: the answer is in Tokyo. :)

MerlinTheGoat

It was so beautiful-

smsgl68f4e841.jpg

They need to get rid of the fake astro turf too, it's hideous and belongs in the trash. Polynesian uses it as well. I'm not sure if they've used it elsewhere on property, I hope they put a stop to its use.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It was so beautiful-

smsgl68f4e841.jpg

They need to get rid of the fake astro turf too, it's hideous and belongs in the trash. Polynesian uses it as well. I'm not sure if they've used it elsewhere on property, I hope they put a stop to its use.

Using the center of the hub to the center of the castle to determine a radius for the hub so as to determine its square footage, the astroturf of the hub comprises 1.3% of the hub.

That's right, a little more than one percent of the hub is astroturf.

Also, I find the trees in the picture above to be awful in the way they block the view of the castle.

I can see trees anywhere. I don't often see castles.

MerlinTheGoat

Using the center of the hub to the center of the castle to determine a radius for the hub so as to determine its square footage, the astroturf of the hub comprises 1.3% of the hub.

Also, I find the trees in the picture above to be awful in the way they block the view of the castle.

It doesn't matter what percentage of the overall hub the turf takes up, it's positioned in a location that the vast majority of guests walk through. Pretty much everyone who visits the park inevitably sees it. It's very noticeable and tacky.

The trees were an integral part of the castle's forced perspective. The people who designed the original hub were masters at their craft and knew what they were doing. It frames it nicely and makes the castle look farther away and larger. Especially with the original far superior paint scheme.

If the trees needed to be removed due to becoming too large (an assessment I disagree with, especially at the time they were removed), they should have simply replaced them with new ones. They planned to do this in the hub redesign, concept art showed new trees in place of the old ones. But they never added them during actual construction. There are also several other areas around the perimeter of the hub that are missing trees from the art (particularly several of the pink flowering Tebebuia). The area as it currently exists is far too barren and dominated by concrete.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Where is the astroturf even? I’ve never noticed it.

I too prefer the castle without the trees blocking it.

MerlinTheGoat

BTW, when I first visited the new hub, I wasn't looking for this area and didn't realize they had used astroturf. My biggest issue was just looking ahead and seeing they didn't replant the trees in the middle as seen in the concept art (and left out several other flowering ones around the perimeter). I was actually headed towards the fountains and character statues (which I do like). But passing these two areas naturally drew my eyes to them. I immediately noticed the grass looked off.

Bocabear

I mean, that tight walkway gives me claustrophobia just thinking about it haha. I'd be happy to see some tree's return, but no thanks to that walkway.
It was not claustrophobic at all ...it was wide open...that just happens to be a photo angle that made it look more dense than it was.... The trees pushed the castle visually farther back... it was magnificent. Made Main Street look longer than it is... Made Fantasyland look more distant and magical.

JoeCamel

It was not claustrophobic at all ...it was wide open...that just happens to be a photo angle that made it look more dense than it was.... The trees pushed the castle visually farther back... it was magnificent. Made Main Street look longer than it is... Made Fantasyland look more distant and magical.
And provided shade with a bench...... sigh...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom