News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

tirian

Finally found a good photo of Cinderella Castle at night taken in 1972 (courtesy of ElvisAndretti)
rqo1n1vddjm51.jpg
That’s my childhood memory from the ‘90s. Just add Spectro and the smell of fresh popcorn.

Disney Analyst

Well of course it’s going to look good with all those beautifully coloured lights shining on it! It’s another matter in the cold light of day.

I think these are our first in park night shots since the refurb. I was curious if there would be a new light package.

Anyone know if this looks different for night lighting?

techgeek

I think these are our first in park night shots since the refurb. I was curious if there would be a new light package.

Anyone know if this looks different for night lighting?

Since the castle light fixtures are capable of full color mixing, they can slightly ‘correct’ the lighting looks to render the originally desired effect on the new surface. It shouldn’t look any different at night then it was before the paint job, aside from how it looks in ‘white’ light... which is pretty rare to see these days - there’s almost always contrasting colors.

Probably the main reason they were doing all that projection testing awhile back also... slightly recoloring content layers to produce a consistently desired design look with the projection shows.

Lora Baines Bradley

In that picture and light it does. From what I can tell, the new paint job looks good and photographs well in certain conditions. The old colour scheme, however, looked good and photographed well in all conditions, which is why I’m disappointed by what we now have.
That's true. I do think it looks better in person, fwiw. I do like the almost-indigo spire details, but the juxtaposition of the pink and blue still doesn't sit quite right with me. Ah well. I do like it.

LittleBuford

I do think it looks better in person, fwiw.
Others have said this, but as someone who relies on pictures and videos to experience WDW in between his infrequent trips (especially now), I hate that one of my favourite buildings in the World (indeed the world!) is no longer reliably photogenic. I really liked the concept art and can’t fathom why the colours we now have don’t appear to match it.

ChristianG

In that picture and light it does. From what I can tell, the new paint job looks good and photographs well in certain conditions. The old colour scheme, however, looked good and photographed well in all conditions, which is why I’m disappointed by what we now have.
I think there were definitely some unfavorable lighting conditions for the old color scheme as well. There is some bright bright light in Florida. Of course it's all subjective.

tirian

I think there were definitely some unfavorable lighting conditions for the old color scheme as well. There is some bright bright light in Florida. Of course it's all subjective.
Some of the nighttime color packages were awkward, but the sunlight always looked good. It’s hard to ruin white, blue, and grey. ;)

ChristianG

Some of the nighttime color packages were awkward, but the sunlight always looked good. It’s hard to ruin white, blue, and grey. ;)
For me, it's more about how faded they let the castle get. The bright noon sun always seemed to drown out some of the castle's features because of how white everything above the base was with only some faded blue roofs for contrast. I agree that the new pink is some times too dark in certain lighting, but I appreciate how accented the castle looks now. If there was a happy medium between the bright white and the dark pink I think we'd all be able to appreciate that (*ahem* Tokyo)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom