News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

_caleb

It surprised me that we never saw them test samples on a tower or two on the backside of the castle. Especially since they knew they were getting into metallics - a model or ground-level sample isn't gonna give you a clear idea of how that will actually look on a structure this scale.

Potential colors should have been looked at in-situ and viewed at different times of day and in different weather scenarios before deciding to ensure they picked something that had the best shot at looking good most of the time. I still remember seeing photos of them testing paint on secluded towers at Disneyland before repainting Sleeping Beauty Castle for its 50th, and that paint job was far less "risky" than this one in terms of variables.
What is it about metallic paints in particular that would make an in-situ test of colors necessary for this specific application?

Maybe the colors chosen by Disney planners are for the eyes and developing mind of a child and not a bunch of adults. I think I read that second story windows on main street in Disney World are 2/3's actual size to create a storybook illusion for children.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Maybe the colors chosen by Disney planners are for the eyes and developing mind of a child and not a bunch of adults. I think I read that second story windows on main street in Disney World are 2/3's actual size to create a storybook illusion for children.

Children can't afford Disney tickets. Stop pandering to those babies!!

MickeyLuv'r

If the colours had worked out better, it’d have been great on all counts, but the fact so many seem to dislike it (even if only half, it definitely seems more than a small percentage) in person and online says to me it hasn’t worked out how someone had hoped.

Disney are savvy and strategic and did this on purpose for sure (the motive can be called into question), but it doesn’t mean they get it right every time.

To be fair to Disney though, it doesn't matter.

People don't like change, especially Disney fans. Especially in MK.

tirian

Nope, that’s not how WDI works, and not the goal of MSUSA either. There are plenty of books written about it; it’s too much to get into here. :)

tirian

You're saying they didn't test the colors before painting the entire thing?
What is it about metallic paints in particular that would make an in-situ test of colors necessary for this specific application?

As mentioned many, many pages back, metallic paints are splotchy like black light paints and look completely different based on lighting conditions and the strokes themselves. That’s partly why the large, flat areas of “plaster” on the castle look inconsistent across photos, and even badly painted in some.

Also, most large-scale painting projects are typically tested, including for important buildings in your local city. All professionalarchitects insist on it.

The only way to ensure even metallics in exterior sunlight is to use metal cladding.

lazyboy97o

Not to mention, tests wouldn’t have been difficult for anyone who could afford a can of paint.
Mock ups were definitely done. Honestly, this seems like the problem of a copy of a copy. Themed entertainment design has become too self-referential. It’s fakes based on fakes, so you keep getting these weird things that are no longer analogous to something real.

That’s not true.

nicb88

To be fair to Disney though, it doesn't matter.

People don't like change, especially Disney fans. Especially in MK.

That is true. However, this isn’t a new pavement or a menu change. This is a major visual change of the icon of their flagship theme park at their flagship resort. It’s seen and recognised worldwide and more than anything else at WDW it will hold sentimental value to millions. So I think it’s okay for people not to like this change.

Giss Neric

In person the "Barbed Wires" were beautiful...studded with giant pailette sequins that were always moving in the breeze making the castle sparkle... The picture does not do that look justice. Maybe the mirror was alittle much, but I loved it all..It was clever and beautiful and engaging...and they did not force another park's signature castle color scheme onto it...it was still WDW's Original.
Funny cause that's the same thing people say about the new color scheme of the Cinderella's castle. Watching all vlogs from different Youtubers, big and small, they all say in-person it looks so much better and that pictures does not do it justice. So maybe in conclusion, we should all look at it personally than look at pictures.

JoeCamel

Funny cause that's the same thing people say about the new color scheme of the Cinderella's castle. Watching all vlogs from different Youtubers, big and small, they all say in-person it looks so much better and that pictures does not do it justice. So maybe in conclusion, we should all look at it personally than look at pictures.
Nah, I'll hate it from here and save $140

tirian

In that case, Disney didn’t design it for Instagrammers.

Defenders need to make up their minds.

It was either painted to look great in photos if people take pics in the right lighting conditions and if they use Instagram and if they use the correct Instagram filter and if they have enough followers for their social media presence to be worthwhile — or it was painted to look great in person without caring about DSLRs, normal phone pics, etc.

And that’s a lot of ifs, even for silly online fan commentary. It takes more faith to believe Disney bent over backwards to appease a sliver of Instagram “influencers” than to just admit it’s a poor paint job.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Or, here's a crazy idea, maybe an incredibly expensive design group should be able to deliver a color scheme that looks good in person and in a photo.

Disney Analyst

Or, here's a crazy idea, maybe an incredibly expensive design group should be able to deliver a color scheme that looks good in person and in a photo.

I mean... I think it looks good in photos also. So, maybe everyone just has a different opinion?

And it's expected that many won't like it simply because it's a big change they aren't used to it, and that's a natural and valid response. But also very typical for this forum.

I think it looks gorgeous, ornate, and brand new. Love it.

peoplemover

Saw it today. Looks good in pictures. Looks terrible in person to me. The gray bricks just don’t look good with the pink. I thought the original coloring tied everything together. This one just sticks out a little more against everything.

MickeyLuv'r

That is true. However, this isn’t a new pavement or a menu change. This is a major visual change of the icon of their flagship theme park at their flagship resort. It’s seen and recognised worldwide and more than anything else at WDW it will hold sentimental value to millions. So I think it’s okay for people not to like this change.

I agree.

That heavy sentimental value just goes both ways: because people love Disney as it is, so some will always resist every change Disney makes. While others are going to cheer every change. Some because they like that specific change, others like it just because they think Disney can do no wrong.

Though I quoted you, my post wasn't really directed to you. Your earlier post just did a nice job of summing up the central theme of this entire thread.

_caleb

In that case, Disney didn’t design it for Instagrammers.

Defenders need to make up their minds.

It was either painted to look great in photos if people take pics in the right lighting conditions and if they use Instagram and if they use the correct Instagram filter and if they have enough followers for their social media presence to be worthwhile — or it was painted to look great in person without caring about DSLRs, normal phone pics, etc.

And that’s a lot of ifs, even for silly online fan commentary. It takes more faith to believe Disney bent over backwards to appease a sliver of Instagram “influencers” than to just admit it’s a poor paint job.
It's entirely possible that the design was Disney "bending over backwards to appeal to Instagram influencers" (like they do in LOTS of other areas) AND the result is a bad paint job.

I'm not a defender. I haven't seen the castle in person, I don't exactly love what I've seen in photos (hate the salmon look), and I preferred the previous colors. But I have said (and do continue to think) that the designers definitely had the Instagram set in mind with this color scheme.

Maybe the final result wasn't exactly what they intended, or maybe it is. At any rate, I don't think most of the people with strong opinions here were the primary intended audience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom