News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

tirian

Photos from today

First, thanks for the group of untouched photos from various angles. You’re the first website to do this!

At first I had many conflicting thoughts since some angles look pretty good and others are hideous. Then I realized, the conflict itself is the problem. This color scheme doesn’t account for real-life lighting conditions such as sunlight, cloud cover, harsh shadows, humid haze, etc. The colors only look decent in full sunlight, a condition which cannot be controlled. WDI knows better than this.

Whites and greys work because the castle constantly reflects the blazing Floridian sun.

Also, the architecture itself wasn’t meant to have such a complicated color scheme, and those vast flat areas now look splotchy as the paint reflects the sunlight, especially because metallic paint is splotchy. Like black light paint, metallics are impossible to get completely flat in normal daylight conditions. Only true metal panels can do that. The solution might have been to have painted the areas to look brick, but that would’ve been intricate and would probably would’ve busted the budget.

Combined with the ultra-plastic blue-violet shingles, this looks incredibly amateurish.

Years ago, Tokyo updated its color scheme to look darker on the fortress base and more aged on the fairy-tale “plaster.” The castle looks real from top to bottom; all telltale fiberglass is camouflaged. With its recent repaint, Tokyo’s castle looks better than WDW’s ever did.

Last edited:

Touchdown

The blues on SBC in California looked not the best in June 2019 but they already worn into looking really nice by October 2019. Give it a little bit of time, the pink does not look as harsh in person.

SpectroBro

In the Parks
Yes
8EA2DC33-B40F-4F5D-9E8D-CBFDECE121AD.jpeg
514E4D91-F9E4-4F5B-969D-FD5756EC1A4C.jpeg

today: no filter

Bocabear

The pink looks much better in these pictures...The first shots I saw were a darker tan/pink/mauve look and was hideous... If only the roof were not painted that horrible violet blue....Like others have said, now looks plastic and toy-like....and not in a good way... Garish is the word. It cheapens the overall effect. Ultimately I don't understand it...Sleeping Beauty's Castle was always pink...At Disneyland Paris as well... To make Cinderella's Castle ( a character associated with pale blue and white) a dusty pink really makes no sense...and to change the iconic blue to this violet hue is the worst.

tirian

The pink looks much better in these pictures...The first shots I saw were a darker tan/pink/mauve look and was hideous... If only the roof were not painted that horrible violet blue....Like others have said, now looks plastic and toy-like....and not in a good way... Garish is the word. It cheapens the overall effect. Ultimately I don't understand it...Sleeping Beauty's Castle was always pink...At Disneyland Paris as well... To make Cinderella's Castle ( a character associated with pale blue and white) a dusty pink really makes no sense...and to change the iconic blue to this violet hue is the worst.
Gotta meet the Disney Movie Castle marketing needs.

hpyhnt 1000

First, thanks for the group of untouched photos from various angles. You’re the first website to do this!

At first I had many conflicting thoughts since some angles look pretty good and others are hideous. Then I realized, the conflict itself is the problem. This color scheme doesn’t account for real-life lighting conditions such as sunlight, cloud cover, harsh shadows, humid haze, etc. The colors only look decent in full sunlight, a condition which cannot be controlled. WDI knows better than this.

Whites and greys work because the castle constantly reflects the harsh Floridian sun.

Also, the architecture itself wasn’t meant to have such a complicated color scheme, and those vast flat areas now look splotchy as the paint reflects the sunlight, especially because metallic paint is splotchy. Like black light paint, metallics are impossible to get completely flat in normal daylight conditions. Only true metal panels can do that. The solution might have been to have painted the areas to look brick, but that would be intricate and would probably bust the budget.

Combined with the ultra-plastic blue-violet shingles, this looks incredibly amateurish.

Years ago, Tokyo updated its color scheme to look darker on the fortress base and more aged on the fairy-tale “plaster.” The castle looks real from top to bottom; all telltale fiberglass is camouflaged. With its recent repaint, Tokyo’s castle looks better than WDW’s ever did.

^ This! All of it.

I find this, when catching the sun at the right angle, to be particularly awful. I'm not sure what they were trying to achieve with coating the entire upper structure in a glossy finish, but it looks so garish and off putting.

1594135375021.png

I will give them credit for also painting the castle walls in Fantasyland - really was not expecting them to do follow through on that. And, at this point, I don't mind the blueish gray for the walls, but am concerned they lean too far toward the "unnatural" end of the spectrum. And I'm a little worried how it will look with the entire lower section painted like that.

yensid67

I like the BLUE and the GOLD...they can keep that BUT get rid of the SALMON color...its HIDEOUS! PLEASE go back to natural concrete color

Raineman

^ This! All of it.

I find this, when catching the sun at the right angle, to be particularly awful. I'm not sure what they were trying to achieve with coating the entire upper structure in a glossy finish, but it looks so garish and off putting.

View attachment 481994

I will give them credit for also painting the castle walls in Fantasyland - really was not expecting them to do follow through on that. And, at this point, I don't mind the blueish gray for the walls, but am concerned they lean too far toward the "unnatural" end of the spectrum. And I'm a little worried how it will look with the entire lower section painted like that.
The way the paint looks in your pic-it's not horrible. But this pic below is a screenshot from a video, and the salmon colour from this angle looks way too dark for my taste. I'm still puzzled as to why they would even want to change anything about such an iconic structure, but....
castlepink.JPG

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
^ This! All of it.

View attachment 481994

Why is the sky dark behind the castle? Doesn't seem to indicate this is a raw picture.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom