News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

DDLand

Yes! Cinderella Castle needed a freshening up! I hope Disney does this castle next, it’s starting to look a little dated in my eyes:
7B785C4A-43A9-4CCD-BE8C-26062FCDB5BC.jpeg

Definitely could use more gold!

Gold paint doesn’t age well. It starts to look like poo. See Tomorrowland 98 at Disneyland.
That would only happen if Disney let the gold paint fade. When has Disney ever deferred regular maintenance?

🤣

DisAl

That much gold makes it look gaudy and fake (yes, I know it is completely fake and not real stone in the first place) to me. I would prefer much less or none at all of the gold. It will look more like a Christmas ornament than a real castle. I guess we should all be thankful though that they are doing that absolutely awful cake monstrosity again. :rolleyes:

yensidtlaw1969

That much gold makes it look gaudy and fake (yes, I know it is completely fake and not real stone in the first place) to me. I would prefer much less or none at all of the gold. It will look more like a Christmas ornament than a real castle. I guess we should all be thankful though that they are doing that absolutely awful cake monstrosity again. :rolleyes:
I'm hoping the finished product demonstrates a little more restraint than the art does - if this end up ultimately being a version of Tokyo's paint job that leans a little harder into the gold accents knowing that the golden anniversary is on the horizon, I can get behind that. But there's a blockiness to the art that I hope doesn't translate so literally onto the real structure. I'm hopeful that this will be done with a little more nuance than the rendering immediately suggests.

I do think it's true that in working with these castles theres a "truth is stranger than fiction" thing they have to be aware of - like how if you're telling a lie you have to make sure it isn't too out there to be believable, which isn't a constraint to which reality is held. If you happened upon a real European Castle that was decked out in this much gold you wouldn't question it because that would be the reality. But when you're creating a facsimile of a European Castle you have to stay just on *this* side of the line or you risk showing your hand and revealing the artifice of the whole thing. Hence my hope that we see a little more restraint in the execution.

I think this COULD work, but they have to be careful.

DDLand

I'm hoping the finished product demonstrates a little more restraint than the art does - if this end up ultimately being a version of Tokyo's paint job that leans a little harder into the gold accents knowing that the golden anniversary is on the horizon, I can get behind that. But there's a blockiness to the art that I hope doesn't translate so literally onto the real structure. I'm hopeful that this will be done with a little more nuance than the rendering immediately suggests.

I do think it's true that in working with these castles theres a "truth is stranger than fiction" thing they have to be aware of - like how if you're telling a lie you have to make sure it isn't too out there to be believable, which isn't a constraint to which reality is held. If you happened upon a real European Castle that was decked out in this much gold you wouldn't question it because that would be the reality. But when you're creating a facsimile of a European Castle you have to stay just on *this* side of the line or you risk showing your hand and revealing the artifice of the whole thing. Hence my hope that we see a little more restraint in the execution.

I think this COULD work, but they have to be careful.
But why? Only toddlers and kids really enjoy the castle. The castle is for the kids! They like gold! It’s not a real castle- if you wanted a real castle you could go to Europe like adults do. Everyone knows it’s fake so they might as well load the castle up with more gold. You should see Hong Kong’s new castle- they do it right!

Picture this inspiring scene! 10 thousand people looking up at this newly glammed up castle as they watch a costumed Olaf bounce around the stage. The weather 95, but feeling like much more because of the humidity. Luckily, Disney has expanded the central plaza with more cement and fake grass so even more people can watch Olaf perform his best hits! Pesky trees are no more! Parents look knowingly at each other- “it’s for the kids.” A man exclaims to his wife “I can’t believe people enjoy this.” A small child, who is supposed to be enjoying this situation, begins to meltdown. A mother realizes that her valuable Philharmagic FastPass window is almost ending. A child sips on a $4 water bottle while her parents think about the crappy hamburger lunch they had that clocked in at over $100.

Above it all, looking at the hot sweaty masses, the newly opened Club 33 guests sit in wonder. “I’m glad we don’t have to be in that crowd” a satisfied husband tells his wife. She answers “yeah, and it’s great we have the unlimited FastPasses too!” “Have you noticed what they did to the castle,” she continues “I love the gold!”

The most MAGICAL place on EARTH! Keep it up Walt Disney World®!

yensidtlaw1969

Pepto Pink 96 over Rose Gold 2020 any day!
I'll say this, when the rumor first started of Rose Gold accents on the castle for the 50th I definitely pictured they were thinking something like this, which I would not have enjoyed:

Rose Gold Cinderella Castle.jpg

I don't so much mind the idea of the plastering gaining a Rose Gold-ish hue, especially since that's basically the color scheme Tokyo has had since 2006 and it's looked BEAUTIFUL over there. The shading of the hues really brings out the features of the architecture, and the color brings warmth to their castle without painting it pink. Cinderella Castle in Florida has always looked a little cold and flat to me in comparison to the work they did over there, and if this manages to echo the Tokyo paint scheme I think it will likely make for a positive change.

MichRX7

Premium Member
I really don't mind. I've lived through the cake, through newly painted and faded. I'll live through rose-gold as well. Actually my wife and daughter will probably love it.

kevlightyear

Too much gold? What about this?
cinderella2005_frontview2006cb.jpg
The difference is that the gold for the HCOE was obviously decoration added *on top* of the castle and were temporary at that. The gold for the 50th is in places where you wouldn't expect gold architecturally.

Look at this detail:
bcc92834982402984029834 copy.jpg

The supports on the turrets are supposed to be structural stone. They should look like stone. And gold trim around windows? Functionally, the gold makes no sense, so to me, it looks out of place.

To me, this look is one that you would see projection mapped onto the castle during a show and think "Oh that looks pretty." But it's not one that should be the permanent design of the castle.

brihow

Do we think they are repainting all of the stonework? It looks slightly darker in the concept art but not sure if that's just for the art.

ThatMouse

View attachment 449881
The supports on the turrets are supposed to be structural stone. They should look like stone. And gold trim around windows? Functionally, the gold makes no sense, so to me, it looks out of place.

I agree. Stone is never painted on castles. Machicolations are always made of stone and wouldn't take paint or gold foil very well. I'm also the guy wondering how Elsa's survived in her ice castle without food and her butt not sticking to the toilet seat.

CJR

I think it's a nice idea, certainly better than a giant birthday castle cake. Hopefully, they'll plus it some more next summer too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom