Photopass Tripod Light

JediMasterMatt

Hint: it's not a specialized photography/tripod device.

They use a patio umbrella light.

Its sole purpose these days is to draw attention to the tripod's legs to keep people from running into them.

I thought about getting one for myself; but, anyone who has ever taken a tripod into the parks already gets enough "here's my PhotoPass card... can you take my picture" sorts of attention, so I came up with my own solution.

Put one shining up at the bottom of each tripod leg and one at the top of each leg shining down. Since I started doing this about 5 years ago, I haven't had a single issue with errant kicks.

The finger lights are smaller and lighter than the patio umbrella light and they are cheap enough that you have the added bonus of finding a family with kids on the way out of the park to give them to as the batteries only last long enough for one night's use. My niece loves handing them out each night.

The patio umbrella light would be brighter and do a better job of keeping people from hitting it; but, aside from the afore mentioned issues of looking like a Disney employee - it's too big and bulky to carry around.

ParksAndPixels

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Hint: it's not a specialized photography/tripod device.

They use a patio umbrella light.

Its sole purpose these days is to draw attention to the tripod's legs to keep people from running into them.

I thought about getting one for myself; but, anyone who has ever taken a tripod into the parks already gets enough "here's my PhotoPass card... can you take my picture" sorts of attention, so I came up with my own solution.

Put one shining up at the bottom of each tripod leg and one at the top of each leg shining down. Since I started doing this about 5 years ago, I haven't had a single issue with errant kicks.

The finger lights are smaller and lighter than the patio umbrella light and they are cheap enough that you have the added bonus of finding a family with kids on the way out of the park to give them to as the batteries only last long enough for one night's use. My niece loves handing them out each night.

The patio umbrella light would be brighter and do a better job of keeping people from hitting it; but, aside from the afore mentioned issues of looking like a Disney employee - it's too big and bulky to carry around.

Thanks for comments. Definitely all for keeping weight down, just raising nighttime visibility:)

ParksAndPixels

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
For anyone else who is interested, the finger lights are definitely bright enough, but they do seem to break easy if you have them on your tripod. Strapped to your bag.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom