Photogs out there, what lens for GE?

durangojim

Original Poster
I have two main cameras I use, a Sony A7RIII with a 24-70 2.8 and a Fuji Xt30 with 18-55 2.8-4 and a Rokinin 12mm f2.0. I typically prefer the Fuji for parks due to it's light weight. I'm thinking about taking it with just the 12mm for GE but am wondering what you might suggest. The Sony is a fantastic setup but as I get older I just don't enjoy carrying around more weight (12 years ago I used to carry my Canon 5d, 24-105, 70-200 and a speedlight to take pics of my kids at the parks, but that was when I was young and silly), so which setup would you recommend. I mostly want to experience the land and not worry about taking pics as my primary mission.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'd go with the with the widest you have available. You are close to the buildings, and you'll need a wide field of view to capture the scene. But it all depends on what type of photography you do. :)

Jahona

I second what wdwmagic said. If you tend to shoot a lot more landscape / environment shots then that wide 12mm Rokinon lens will serve you just fine. If you tend to shoot more family photos then I would say the versatility of either the the Sony or the Fuji lenses might be more preferable.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Most of my shots at DL In June were with the 14-30. as noted above, there are not all that many long vistas so you’ll want something pretty wide.

Last edited:

ddbowdoin

may be in the minority here but I always shy away from zoom lenses... I think prime offerings from all the major players are always sharper and have better characteristics.

donsullivan

Premium Member
may be in the minority here but I always shy away from zoom lenses... I think prime offerings from all the major players are always sharper and have better characteristics.

In general that may indeed be true and some choose to shoot with only primes. I tend to have a few of each in different focal ranges in my bag. Especially outside, I prefer the flexibility of a high quality 24-70 f/2.8 any day as a walk-around lens in the parks.

In my case since switching over to Nikon mirrorless last fall I've sold off nearly all of my Nikon F-Mount lenses and as a result I'm limited to the 4 they have available for that platform so far.

Allen C

I approached Galaxy's Edge this way: during the daytime I concentrated on the details and the amazing cast members with my normal walkaround zoom, a 24-120 f/4. I also could have used my 50mm 1.8, my 24-70 f/2.8, or even my 70-200 f/2.8 for this. Once night fell and the lights went on, I switched to my 14 - 24 f/2.8 for the wide night-time shots. (I shoot Nikon BTW.)
I shot this on Monday 8/19 during the Passholder Preview at DHS.
DSC_1228-X2.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom