Photography gear trade-in experiences/reviews

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
I've been looking at various ways of selling old photography gear, and thought it might help others to share any experience.

I just sold a Canon 7D and some lenses using mpb.com. It actually went surprisingly well. The online quote offered slightly more than I could find at bhphoto or Adorama, and like most it asks you to rate the condition. They sent FedEx labels for the gear, I boxed it up and sent it off. I received an email when they received the boxes, and a confirmation of the condition. They matched the excellent rating of all the lenses, but dropped the body rating from Excellent to Good based on the number of shutter clicks. I then received payment via bank transfer about 3 days later.

Overall it was a very easy experience that I would do again. I may have not earned the absolute max value compared to selling to someone directly, but it was minimal risk and very low hassle.

BoarderPhreak

You can take the easy way out, at the biggest hit to your return - by selling it to B&H, Adorama, KEH, etc. They generally lowball you a fair bit. You can try selling on related forums (e.g. PotN for Canon) or Fred Miranda (for more general photography) and will generally result in a quick sale if the price is right and you'll get a bit more than the camera shops. But people know the value of stuff. Finally, there's place like eBay. You'll get more eyeballs but, well, it's eBay.

klmall

I had a Canon T4i that was heavily used and I took the easy way out with B & H. The process was simple and I actually got what I expected after doing some research. Better than just sitting in my closet unused. I also simply gave a Rebel Xsi away to a friend whose husband had never had a DSLR. He was so excited!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom