Phones and Live Streaming on Rides

Is talking on your phone during a ride ok?

• Yes, always

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Yes, but only for live streaming

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only for private conversations/calls

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • No, never

Votes: 152 96.8%

• Total voters

tnemgif

Original Poster
I have recently noticed a lot of people are live streaming to TikTok while visiting the parks. These people bring phones on rides with them (like IASW, HM, The Seas, Smugglers Run) and loudly narrate their live stream while riding.

I admit that things like this annoy me more than most, but I’m wondering what other people think of this. If you were on a ride with one of these live streamers, would this annoy you or your little ones? Would it ruin the experience? Would you ask them to be quiet?

jloucks

So, this may depend on the ride and the gear.

I do not want to get smacked in the teeth by anyone's fly-away phone. Nor do I want to sit on a grounded ride while maintenance has to retrieve a dropped phone on the tracks.

If the phone is strapped to your body on a short leash, maybe then ok.

NelleBelle

So, it really peeves me when idiots pull out there phones (that aren't strapped down) on fast-moving rides (BTMRR, Everest) and are filming the entire time. I had one moron do that one Everest and his phone did indeed fly out of his hand and nearly hit me--I was so ticked and when I reported it to the CM, and pointed the offender out, they basically shrugged it off. Why have it in the safety spiel if there are no repercussions?? Oh wait, instead of being proactive, Disney wants to be reactive after the fact, but only if there was bodily harm! UGH!!

As for rides like IASW, I don't really care because it's not really a dark ride. I get absolutely mental when it's on HM and pirates (or any other dark ride where my vision is impaired by nothing but phone screens filming the entire ride). I get it if you want a picture here and there, I am guilty of taking a few snaps. BUT, if they are taking flash pictures, I am not averse to telling them to knock it off, that they're ruining the ride for the rest of us. Usually others join in at that time. Learn to take your pictures without flash!😡:banghead:

jloucks

So, it really peeves me when idiots pull out there phones (that aren't strapped down) on fast-moving rides (BTMRR, Everest) and are filming the entire time. I had one moron do that one Everest and his phone did indeed fly out of his hand and nearly hit me--I was so ticked and when I reported it to the CM, and pointed the offender out, they basically shrugged it off. Why have it in the safety spiel if there are no repercussions?? Oh wait, instead of being proactive, Disney wants to be reactive after the fact, but only if there was bodily harm! UGH!!

As for rides like IASW, I don't really care because it's not really a dark ride. I get absolutely mental when it's on HM and pirates (or any other dark ride where my vision is impaired by nothing but phone screens filming the entire ride). I get it if you want a picture here and there, I am guilty of taking a few snaps. BUT, if they are taking flash pictures, I am not averse to telling them to knock it off, that they're ruining the ride for the rest of us. Usually others join in at that time. Learn to take your pictures without flash!😡:banghead:
Oh yea, I didn't even think about that, flashlights (aka phone screens) running on darkrides is not cool. Right up there with phones in movie theaters.

JIMINYCR

NO... its Never acceptable. I dont care how much they want to record, stream, converse, or do anything else with their devices while on a ride through. Its a potential threat to their safety, a threat to other riders safety, or a major distraction that takes away others enjoyment of the attraction. Keep the devices in your pockets. Record your experience after you disembark. Unfortunately everyone thinks they should be the next big thing online showing off their skills as a Disney documentarist. We got enough of them already.

ppete1975

I have recently noticed a lot of people are live streaming to TikTok while visiting the parks. These people bring phones on rides with them (like IASW, HM, The Seas, Smugglers Run) and loudly narrate their live stream while riding.

I admit that things like this annoy me more than most, but I’m wondering what other people think of this. If you were on a ride with one of these live streamers, would this annoy you or your little ones? Would it ruin the experience? Would you ask them to be quiet?
its been going on for a long time, and people see instagrammers, facebookers and youtuber coverage of rides all the time so they feel its normal. Even in the VHS camcorder days people did it.. its just much more obvious now and the bright screens totally take you away from immersion (IPADS!!!). Disney really should ban recording and put signs up. They would have to have people watching to a point or have those lock bags that they would have to lock and unlock at the beginning and end of rides. It really has gotten out of hand, while im glad they removed selfie sticks years ago, this and people coming up to strangers to participate in their videos and streams is something disney really should work on removing.

ppete1975

Imagine riding pirates of the Caribbean with no talking no screens, and being able to enjoy the sounds of the water, the sounds of the effects and the ride audio. Now have everyone narrating, making jokes talking about their lives and huge ipad screens brightening up everything. TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES.. and the sucky one is the majority.
Totally removes the immersion.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
its been going on for a long time, and people see instagrammers, facebookers and youtuber coverage of rides all the time so they feel its normal. Even in the VHS camcorder days people did it.. its just much more obvious now and the bright screens totally take you away from immersion (IPADS!!!). Disney really should ban recording and put signs up. They would have to have people watching to a point or have those lock bags that they would have to lock and unlock at the beginning and end of rides. It really has gotten out of hand, while im glad they removed selfie sticks years ago, this and people coming up to strangers to participate in their videos and streams is something disney really should work on removing.

Imagine riding pirates of the Caribbean with no talking no screens, and being able to enjoy the sounds of the water, the sounds of the effects and the ride audio. Now have everyone narrating, making jokes talking about their lives and huge ipad screens brightening up everything. TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES.. and the sucky one is the majority.
Totally removes the immersion.
I'd fully support a blanket ban on tablets in the parks.

Diamond Dot

I was on Kilimanjaro Safaris and asked to be seated on the left side because I love the big cats, I know I sound entitled, but, seeing a cheetah and the lions make my day. CMs are usually fine with it as I'm not expecting to be on my own if it's busy. However, I asked the CM this time and he said no, even though there was hardly any line, so I was sat on the right hand side next to a couple and thought 'okay, it's not that bad'. Except as we hit the Savannah she gets a call and starts face timing her daughter, volume full on, then her granddaughter comes on so this lady decides to show the child the ride, including me, I think my face said it all, so she tells them she'll call back after and sits there stoney faced the rest of the ride, not even interested in the animals.
I think it is so rude to live stream or film and show private people who don't want their images broadcast on the Internet. And filming on any dark ride or show is the height of ignorance if your screen is lit up.
Someone mentioned VHS cameras, can you remember how big and bulky they were? I don't recall anyone ever using one on an attraction.

Diamond Dot

Disney sees it as free publicity.
I had two guys livestreaming on the Boardwalk, and yes, I flipped the bird as they approached me, I don't know if they were filming themselves (narcissists) or filming what was happening, but, I have no regrets.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My daughter and I were on the last ever Star Tours, The Last Trip To Endor, in 2010 and everyone was told they could record the experience, we all had a blast, although I couldn't tell if the Stormtroopers sitting in the back row enjoyed it.
We rode Disaster at Uni in it’s last week. Same thing happened. Never seen so many cellphones pulled out so fast!

ppete1975

I was on Kilimanjaro Safaris and asked to be seated on the left side because I love the big cats, I know I sound entitled, but, seeing a cheetah and the lions make my day. CMs are usually fine with it as I'm not expecting to be on my own if it's busy. However, I asked the CM this time and he said no, even though there was hardly any line, so I was sat on the right hand side next to a couple and thought 'okay, it's not that bad'. Except as we hit the Savannah she gets a call and starts face timing her daughter, volume full on, then her granddaughter comes on so this lady decides to show the child the ride, including me, I think my face said it all, so she tells them she'll call back after and sits there stoney faced the rest of the ride, not even interested in the animals.
I think it is so rude to live stream or film and show private people who don't want their images broadcast on the Internet. And filming on any dark ride or show is the height of ignorance if your screen is lit up.
Someone mentioned VHS cameras, can you remember how big and bulky they were? I don't recall anyone ever using one on an attraction.
yeah we actually rented one and my dad recorded the land to show my grandmother, which she sadly never got to see in person. But we didnt film anything else.
I forgot about people using speaker phone... I hate that even at walmart.

ppete1975

If someone is live streaming on a ride I'm on, I have no problem with that.

If someone is live streaming on a ride I'm on and narrating, I have a big problem with that.

If you want to film, do so without others being distracted by it. That means noise, lighting, or narration.
its the culture sadly.. i almost got in a fight at a special event concert (only about 50 people with luke combs acoustic) with a guy where his entire family all were recording the concert with ipads above their heads. Any event you go to now people feel they have to record it. Totally ruins it for others.
1650919289230.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom