Phone Booths Disconnected?

bcoachable

Original Poster
A favorite fun thing for our families was to call the phone booths in Epcot's UK in between our trips. Over the weekend, we tried to place a call and it seems as if the numbers have been disconnected. Can anybody confirm this and maybe a reason why? (I can guess some reasons, but was looking for confirmation). Sure was a fun way to extend the magic! Sad to see it go if it is a permanent thing...

Florida_is_hot

Just for reference, it's a 'phone box', not a 'phone booth'.

Ah.... no try a Google search you will find it under "Phone Booth" .
All my years I never heard anybody calling a "Phone Booth" a..... "Box"

If you you tell me well they do in the UK, I will tell you so..... Epcot is in the USA not the UK;
and the "Phone Booth" in Canada is called a "Phone Booth" we do not talk "British" in Canada.

eastvillage

If you you tell me well they do in the UK, I will tell you so..... Epcot is in the USA not the UK;
and the "Phone Booth" in Canada is called a "Phone Booth" we do not talk "British" in Canada.

The red phone boxes (as they are known in the UK) are a familiar and recognized part of British culture...which make them a great fit for inclusion in the UK pavilion at Epcot. You can also google "telephone box" and find that term and a little more history about it. There is no need to be defensive if that term is not well known in the US/Canada (for the record I've lived in all three countries - US/Canada/England).

Google search 'Phone Box' and you'll find a higher number of results. They are known as Red Phone Boxes around the whole world. British design, British icon, British history. Saying, 'well here in North America...' if pretty insular and arrogant.

Your argument about language is irrelevant. The subject is about the UK phone boxes and therefore Canada has very little to do with my comment. You wouldn't say you wanted 'fish and fries' when visiting the UK pavillion, would you?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom