Philadelphia Half Marathon: Race Report

lukacseven

Original Poster
First off, one of the biggest problems with this race appears to have been solved...finish line security. For the first time in the past 7 years, the finish line was completely fenced in and access was guarded by military personnel, thus no spectators backing up onto the course, clogging the finish line chute and taking the post race refreshments.

Security on certain portions of the course, however, could have been better, but this was also probably the best turn-out for this race by spectators, some of which got a little too eager and creeped into the streets, narrowing the course in spots. As usual, the medical staff was pathetic - most of them appeared to be teenagers in red hoodies who had no clue. The medical tent at the finish line had 2 people in it who's only job was to yell at people to keep moving. I tried to ask for a towel/paper towel and one of them grabbed my arm and said I couldn't be there. Another runner commented that they asked for ice and were told they didn't have any. There were about 40 of these kids in their hoodies standing waiting for the marathon winner to finish, though.

On a more positive note, the race overall was a good one. This is the best Philly course. Unlike all others, it does not simply loop around the Schuylkill River. The course takes you through most of the city and many of the historic sites. If you time it right you'll run past Independence Hall as the bells toll on the hour. Great spectator turn-out and in areas were there typically hasn't been a lot of support. Volunteers did a nice job at the water stations and at the finish line. One of my favorites - chicken broth at the finish line!

The race also added 2 corrals for the almost 1,900 NYC runners who applied for late entry via lottery.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom