PERMITS

Darkbeer1

Is there honestly not enough space along the west side of Harbor to put the entire Transportation whatever there?

View attachment 351698

OK, I think I understand what you are asking, but I might be wrong.

Disney wants everything they can off of the West side, since any project needs no city approval, and can be used for park expansion, a priority.

The city wants as many vehicles and pedestrians off of Harbor for traffic and safety management.

So moving most shuttles, buses, taxis, Uber/Lyft and drop-offs to Manchester is the goal. Disney will be required to give up some land on Manchester for expansion of the Street, but there is enough room for a new transportation plaza.

The original plan was to place a security check bus plaza on the Toy Story Lot. So those buses can use a piece of land that really isn't easy to expand, due to the backstage road/tunnel on the east end of DCA. There was also talk of an ADA shuttle, which would also have a special ADA security area on Manchester.

Also, there is a CM Shuttle Drop off to Harbor Pointe, as that is a key check-in area. Those shuttles will only enter going southbound on Harbor, and also exit southbound.

Public Buses will also be rerouted to Manchester off of Harbor.

Hope that answers the question.

Old Mouseketeer

Had a thought.

When the Eastern Gateway gets approved, and it might take two hearings.

Disney can start with the Bridge, Security Check area and new Transportation Plaza, plus needed walkways as Phase 1, this will allow the old Plaza to be made available for expansion.

And then, when the USCIS Immigration Center is closed, you can then build the new Parking Structure. The need for more parking can wait until the DCA Expansion opens. (Sorry CM's that will be taking long shuttle bus rides).

Really thorough background on the EGW--and that's what you do best. I'm not an apologist for the Tait/Moreno regime--I just want a balanced approach that's mutually beneficial and sensible for Anaheim and Disney.

Could they not be planning the EGW 2.0 proposal to include the USCIS site and do the whole job at once? Are they planning to open it before 2021?

As for CM parking, the current CMs I talk to have a degree of flexibility. A lot of them love Pumbaa, but I never parked there back in the day. A structure at Harbor Lot replacing some of Katella Lot CM parking isn't completely odious. But the routing of shuttles exclusively southbound on Harbor may not be completely beneficial to CMs, Disney, or Anaheim.

P.S. Thank you for a measured response to what may have seemed overtly provocative in my question.

JD2000

Disney wants everything they can off of the West side, since any project needs no city approval, and can be used for park expansion, a priority.

The city wants as many vehicles and pedestrians off of Harbor for traffic and safety management.

So moving most shuttles, buses, taxis, Uber/Lyft and drop-offs to Manchester is the goal. Disney will be required to give up some land on Manchester for expansion of the Street, but there is enough room for a new transportation plaza.

The original plan was to place a security check bus plaza on the Toy Story Lot. So those buses can use a piece of land that really isn't easy to expand, due to the backstage road/tunnel on the east end of DCA. There was also talk of an ADA shuttle, which would also have a special ADA security area on Manchester.

Also, there is a CM Shuttle Drop off to Harbor Pointe, as that is a key check-in area. Those shuttles will only enter going southbound on Harbor, and also exit southbound.

Public Buses will also be rerouted to Manchester off of Harbor.

Hope that answers the question.
I deleted that post eventually to reword it. I thought it may be read as controversial, misunderstood, or was not thought out enough. But I glad you replied to it anyway.

It was more a question of logistics. As my thought was how many spaces do they really need? Why not share them?

But it would seem you cleared that up and I misunderstood the plans. I had failed to understand the shuttles that would go on the west side of Harbor were for the Toy Story lot; meaning there definitely wouldn't be enough room and a transportation whatever east of Harbor is indeed necessary.

I guess the plans continue to bother me (as a tourist). But I understand this must be done for expansion.

:)

britain

Park expansion into the West side? That can't mean the area they're adding a new parking garage to, and probably not the area they almost started building the new hotel. I can only imagine that western park expansion would mean DCA expanding into the Paradise Pier hotel area. Further north, I don't really think a westward Star Wars land expansion would happen.

SSG

Original Poster
BLD2019-00694 DCA - Area Restroom Bldg 755 - Tenant Improvement: Renovate existing restroom 2,297 sq.ft includes ceiling plumbing, electrical and mechanical. Facade renovation new stucco/brick veener sq.ft ??, parapet. Roof framing reinforcement for future show sets (Bldg number changed from 701 to 755). REF:BLD2019-00694

BLD2019-00697 DCA - Area restroom Bldg 755 - Antenna Cell Site: Roof top telecom includes roof framing, install platform and rails, electrical for future cell site. REF:BLD2019-00694

JD2000

Park expansion into the West side? That can't mean the area they're adding a new parking garage to, and probably not the area they almost started building the new hotel. I can only imagine that western park expansion would mean DCA expanding into the Paradise Pier hotel area. Further north, I don't really think a westward Star Wars land expansion would happen.
I am pretty sure he was talking about the west side of Harbor but the east side of the parks.

JD2000

I am confused again. What is everything that uses the current Transportation area? And on those eastern gateway plans, what is "DISNEY SHUTTLE DROP-OFF" referring to?

Darkbeer1

I am confused again. What is everything that uses the current Transportation area? And on those eastern gateway plans, what is "DISNEY SHUTTLE DROP-OFF" referring to?

OK what will removed is the current security check, and the entire Transportation Plaza, plus the Walking pathway to Harbor Blvd.

The Toy Story bus area will be relocated from the north east side of DCA to the east side.

The new pedestrian bridge will take up the north end of the current Transportation Plaza, next to the Costuming Building.

This opens up the southern portion, about 2/3rd's of the freed up space. Easy access to the current area near Monsters Inc. Stage 17, the former Millionaire building can be easily removed.

On the original Eastern Gateway plans, the Shuttle Drop Off area will be the Toy Story Buses, with prescreened guests, so no need for a security check. Some type of fenced pathway will take guests to the Main Entrance Plaza. Note that the area cuts off where the current northern border of DCA is.

Darkbeer1

So there would no longer be street access for guests on the west side of Harbor Blvd?

Basically correct. A solid median with a fence will run down Harbor from Manchester to Disney Way.

There was talk of a pedestrian path with a very small security check if you crossed Harbor at Manchester (Mimi's Cafe). But if there is more access to the new security check, that might not even be offered. And that decision will be the City of Anaheim, not Disney. The new plans are still being adjusted, but safety is a key element of the design on the city streets and sidewalks.

SSG

Original Poster
BLD2019-00726 Disney - Princess Shoppe / Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique - Bldg 7103 - Tenant Improvement: 200 sq.ft to create dressing room, new make up stations.

BLD2019-00727 Disney - Fantasy Faire, Fairy Tale Treasure - Tenant Improvement: 569 sq.ft to renovate existing retail space with new partition and soffit to create photo-op and anchored props, new lighting.

SSG

Original Poster
BLD2019-00738 Electrical for Disconnect for temporary kitchen trailer. Located adjacent Disney building 533.

SGN2019-00036 DCA - Installation non-illuminated logo for Captain Marvel anchored wall. REF:BLD2019-00490 (DCA - Hollywood Land - Stage 12 (Bldg 303) - Captain Marvel Meet and Greet - Tenant Improvement: Installation ballast with truss towers, two faux doors, and truss piece with drape hung, all anchored to the exterior wall of building for photo location show set.)

Ismael Flores

OK what will removed is the current security check, and the entire Transportation Plaza, plus the Walking pathway to Harbor Blvd.

The Toy Story bus area will be relocated from the north east side of DCA to the east side.

The new pedestrian bridge will take up the north end of the current Transportation Plaza, next to the Costuming Building.

This opens up the southern portion, about 2/3rd's of the freed up space. Easy access to the current area near Monsters Inc. Stage 17, the former Millionaire building can be easily removed.

On the original Eastern Gateway plans, the Shuttle Drop Off area will be the Toy Story Buses, with prescreened guests, so no need for a security check. Some type of fenced pathway will take guests to the Main Entrance Plaza. Note that the area cuts off where the current northern border of DCA is.

This is pretty much what i understand,

Yellow = Bridge and pedestrain corridor leading to main plaza.
Red area = anything within this red area is pretty much up for grab and demolition for proper future park development
green area = the roadways used for the toy story shuttles and possibly the drop off area now enclosed and within the secured zone and used for toy story shuttle drop off only. These guests have already been pre-screened at the oy story lot.

what i do not understand is why even have the toy story buses drop guests off here and have the need for another security check point? Why not just have the buses exit the toy story parking lot like they do now and go up clementine and go directly into the new security zone that will be built. The distance the buses will travel will be much shorter allowing for faster turn around times. Buses would be completely eliminated from having to cross Harbor BLVD which will still carry plenty of tourist crossing DIsney way to access the new pedestrian walkway that will lead to the new gateway.

Is it to split the amount of traffic away from the eastern gateway in regards to the amount of shuttles that could create a bottleneck entering and exiting the new area?

SSG

Original Poster
BLD2019-00777 Disney - Frontier Land Expansion / Bldg 10020 - Storage Rack: 316 ln.ft x 10 ' high.

BLD2019-00779 Disney - East Entry Esplanade / Security Check Point # 101 - Tenant Improvement: 8' High metal security fence with swinging gate.

BLD2019-00783 DCA - Paradise Pier - Food Carts / Turkey Leg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
BLD2019-00777 Disney - Frontier Land Expansion / Bldg 10020 - Storage Rack: 316 ln.ft x 10 ' high.

BLD2019-00779 Disney - East Entry Esplanade / Security Check Point # 101 - Tenant Improvement: 8' High metal security fence with swinging gate.

BLD2019-00783 DCA - Paradise Pier - Food Carts / Turkey Leg

Can't have too many storage racks or turkey leg carts.

Although just thinking about it, has DCA ever had a turkey leg cart?

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Can't have too many storage racks or turkey leg carts.

Although just thinking about it, has DCA ever had a turkey leg cart?

Yes, it's at the west entrance to the Hollywood Backlot. Poultry Palace at Pixar Pier is DCA's other place for turkey legs, though it's not technically a cart. Not sure why they are adding a second in that land.

Edit: The description is not complete. The full description for that permit is:

DCA - Paradise Pier - Food Carts / Turkey Leg - Tenant Improvement: Sculpted figure "Zurg" framed to roof.

So I'm guessing this is just for the Poultry Palace.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom