"Perks" of being a Cast Member

IowaHawks7

Original Poster
Hello all! I was recently accepted to the DCP for the Spring of 2014. I was wondering what types of discounts I would get as a Cast Member. On things such as hotels, merchandise, park tickets, and food. I know I get into the parks for free, yet I come from a family of 6 so they were wondering what discounts they would get if they came and visited me. I've heard that each CM gets 6 days where they can bring 3 people into the parks. So is there a discount if my family came for the other 2 people in my family?

Hotels most of the time are 60% if you are staying there and 50% for guests.

Merch is 20% off, however the holiday discount (late Oct. - Jan) is 40%.

Food is same as merch, but only applies to TS. Very few QS places have CM discounts.

There is a discount on park tickets, I honestly am not sure what it is though.

Hello all! I was recently accepted to the DCP for the Spring of 2014. I was wondering what types of discounts I would get as a Cast Member. On things such as hotels, merchandise, park tickets, and food. I know I get into the parks for free, yet I come from a family of 6 so they were wondering what discounts they would get if they came and visited me. I've heard that each CM gets 6 days where they can bring 3 people into the parks. So is there a discount if my family came for the other 2 people in my family?
I got accepted too so hope to see you around!

MGMBoy

The pass discounts are minimal (at best). Generally not much more than through AAA or similar. One of the up sides is to make a lot of full-time friends quickly and then see if any of them have Main Gate Passes (or, better yet, Silver Passes) that they would be willing to help you with. (Technically they are supposed to stay with the guests though. When I was full-time I tried to see if they wanted to spend the day running around the parks with me and my guests.) What roles did you both get accepted for?

Cesar R M

Speaking of being a Cast Member, Do you guys receive a lot of training?
I'm curious about the whole "backstage" thing movement behind Disney.

MGMBoy

Depends on the role. Generally, new hires have "Traditions" which is kind of the Disney "brainwashing" (history of the company and stuff like that). Lots of interesting info. From there it becomes more and more individualized. Next you will usually have your role training if possible with groups of people from across property (i.e. Merchantainment, Resorts, etc.). From there (or after Traditions if you work something like operations/attractions) you will often have a day long property knowledge training (DAK-limation @ Animal Kingdom, On With The Show @ Studios, Once Upon a Time @ MK). I may have some of those names wrong but it has been years since I went through that process. Lastly is OJT. Often they will pair 2-3 trainees up with a single trainer. For things like operations with specific role knowledge they will have their own training teams. If the role is more generalized (custodial/merchantainment) then there will be a park wide group of "core trainers" who go to wherever the trainees are (when I got trained for Dinoland merch, there were three of us with a trainer who, after training us, went to train a group of cast in Harambe). Don't think anyone has mastered the idea of mass training like Disney. :)

MGMBoy

IMHO, one of the biggest perks is access to Property Control (damaged merchandise at 75% off)/Cast Connection (overstock at 30-50+% off). I have gotten some AMAZING deals at property control.

Also, congrats to you two on doing the CP. I've done a couple of them and was a campus rep for years. (Also worked full time down there) Let me know if you have any questions or anything.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

MGMboy, Was enjoyable working for disney?
I wonder because after someone mentioned the brainwashing part.. it kinda remind me how they make you a drone at Walmart.
then inmediately reminds me of the movie IDIOCRACY. "welcome to costo, I love you!"

MGMBoy

Hahaha! I use "brainwashing" loosely. It is more of a very thorough history of the company. I absolutely enjoyed it. Worked with a LOT of amazing people and made many lifelong friends.

Cesar R M

Hahaha! I use "brainwashing" loosely. It is more of a very thorough history of the company. I absolutely enjoyed it. Worked with a LOT of amazing people and made many lifelong friends.
that doesnt exactly sound like brainwashing lol.
I bet half world who visits disney world or any of the parks want to work there after seeing all the happy people in there.

Also, something that surprised me a lot in WDW.
The amount of old people working there... Most of them bus drivers.
Its always nice to have companies that can support people who still have a lot to give.

Companies here in my country usually claim you´re dead once you get past 40 years old.. and they hardly hire people of that age unless you show an impressive portfolio.

The pass discounts are minimal (at best). Generally not much more than through AAA or similar. One of the up sides is to make a lot of full-time friends quickly and then see if any of them have Main Gate Passes (or, better yet, Silver Passes) that they would be willing to help you with. (Technically they are supposed to stay with the guests though. When I was full-time I tried to see if they wanted to spend the day running around the parks with me and my guests.) What roles did you both get accepted for?
Retail, I am hoping to go into World of Disney or Mousegear (I pressed for these over my interview) so hoping for the best! I already am a Manager at Michaels arts and crafts so im hoping for a real challenge

MGMBoy

Retail, I am hoping to go into World of Disney or Mousegear (I pressed for these over my interview) so hoping for the best! I already am a Manager at Michaels arts and crafts so im hoping for a real challenge

I really enjoyed retail down there. LOTS of direct guest contact. I think Once Upon a Toy would be a lot of fun. I think the stores in the parks are the best though because there is so much going on at any given time. Other nice thing about working retail is that, often, EHH (Extra Hour Hotline) shifts are easy to find. If you work at an attraction then your possible shifts are limited to that attraction and general crowd control. Retail can pick up at any other retail location on property (in addition to crowd control) since the systems are all the same. Not gonna lie, you don't do the CP to get rich, but it is an amazing experience!

MGMBoy

that doesnt exactly sound like brainwashing lol.
I bet half world who visits disney world or any of the parks want to work there after seeing all the happy people in there.

Also, something that surprised me a lot in WDW.
The amount of old people working there... Most of them bus drivers.
Its always nice to have companies that can support people who still have a lot to give.

Companies here in my country usually claim you´re dead once you get past 40 years old.. and they hardly hire people of that age unless you show an impressive portfolio.

You have a point Cesar. Lots of retirees living in Florida go work for Mickey for a little supplemental income and for the insurance. Worked with a LOT of them as Safaris.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom