News People mover now reopened!

VicariousCorpse

Are you sure this is for an Incredibles overlay? I have this picture saved under concept art for the proposed Tomorrowland 2055. Heres a better version with the name Skypods more legible.
tomorrowland rend 1.jpg

DGracey

IP has always existed in the parks, even back to Walt's day. But at least back then there was balance between IP and original concept. I think it was late-stage Eisner and the entire Iger/Chapek regime that has embraced the "IP or nothing" approach.

To be fair, at the time Disneyland was constructed, the company did not have that many films (or IP) to fill the entire park. Hence why many attractions were built based on themes and not from movies.

Now the company has the reverse situation. Way, way too many IPs and franchises and not enough places to put everything. They will never be able to use everything they have (a blessing? or a curse?).

yensidtlaw1969

To be fair, at the time Disneyland was constructed, the company did not have that many films (or IP) to fill the entire park. Hence why many attractions were built based on themes and not from movies.

Now the company has the reverse situation. Way, way too many IPs and franchises and not enough places to put everything. They will never be able to use everything they have (a blessing? or a curse?).
I think it had less to do with Walt Disney wishing he had more properties to promote in his park (He had plenty in his lifetime that were never given meaningful representation at Disneyland) and more to do with him having more diverse and dynamic interests than the company does today.

I always like to point out that Walt Disney's Treasure Island film was released in 1950 and a huge hit, but they never built Treasure Island: The Ride, they built Pirates of the Caribbean, a wholly original experience. It's not like they forgot they'd already made a hit Pirate film.

Walt wanted to do something new with the new medium.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Are you sure this is for an Incredibles overlay? I have this picture saved under concept art for the proposed Tomorrowland 2055. Heres a better version with the name Skypods more legible.View attachment 498396
I believe the idea was revisited. Like a lot of 2055 there were plenty of proposals and versions and some hold overs. The Kuka ride was mentioned to me with the IP attached.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

I believe the idea was revisited. Like a lot of 2055 there were plenty of proposals and versions and some hold overs. The Kuka ride was mentioned to me with the IP attached.
Do you have a sense of what the latest was on a New Tomorrowland for DL pre-COVID?

Presumably anything they were thinking is in the bin at this point, but I'm curious what kind of lead they were thinking of taking.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do you have a sense of what the latest was on a New Tomorrowland for DL pre-COVID?

Presumably anything they were thinking is in the bin at this point, but I'm curious what kind of lead they were thinking of taking.
Long term plans in two phases optioned Tron coaster with the removal of the subs and Autopia, repurpose of the carousel building, Star Tours overhaul/overlay and Buzz overlay. And removal of the overhead tracks.

yensidtlaw1969

Long term plans in two phases optioned Tron coaster with the removal of the subs and Autopia, repurpose of the carousel building, Star Tours overhaul/overlay and Buzz overlay. And removal of the overhead tracks.
My eyes when I hear they're considering "two phases": :rolleyes: Trying to think of the last time they followed through meaningfully on a second phase . . . I'm sure it'll come to me . . .

TRON would have HAD to be a revised experience rather than a direct clone, right? I can't imagine that warehouse plopped down in the middle of Disneyland.

Such a shame that we seem to be reaching the actual end days of the Submarines. I'd kill to see a non-Nemo show in the lagoon. Would be even more of a shame to lose them to the 52-second version of TRON that's currently out there.

I'd be fine with seeing the Carousel Theater, Star Tours, and Buzz be redeveloped. I'd even be fine with the loss of the Autopia if they found a way to do it without killing the Subs, which I'm pretty sure is near impossible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom