people who don't want to go with you

Dragonrider1227

Original Poster
Anyone have friends, relatives, or someone really close to you that you'd love to share your love of Disney World with but turns out they're either indifferent about it or just don't want to go? I've got a very close friend. She's an online friend but just the same, she's my favorite person in the world so naturally, I wanted to share my favorite place in the world with my favorite person in the world but talking to her about the idea, and while she doesn't seem to completely hate the idea, I think she finds the idea impractical. She told me she would much rather visit the actual Disney studio. Which I'd love to do with her but it sadly is crazy hard to do if you're not a D23 member :(
Is it strange that I was downright heartbroken that she appeared so indifferent to this idea?
And anyone else ever run into this problem?

JIMINYCR

We invited my mother in law to join us a couple of years after her husband died thinking it would be a nice trip and she could enjoy our favorite place in the world and see first hand what we were always talking about. But we couldnt convince her.... ( the line used.... its for young kids and families and I'd be bored) Then we've had friends who we would love going with but they refuse to spend the "big bucks for just an amusement park". So we've stopped asking and just gone by ourselves and enjoyed the alone time. There have been other trips when others came and we had less than a good time with them and will never ask those people again.... :in pain:

mergatroid

We have a friend here in the UK who usually visits Orlando around the same time as us. We usually arrange to meet up with him for a day or so during our trip and maybe a night or two out. He and his wife are more Universal fans than Disney fans to be honest. They've done Disney and enjoyed it but find paying for both can be expensive so usually choose Universal. Also in the UK you can purchase a 2 day Universal ticket that gives you 14 days admittance to both Universal parks (you guys possibly get that too?) so they spend much more time there.

It's not a problem for us as we have AP's for Disney and usually visit Universal too so meet up with them there. I actually like it that way to be honest as it means Disney is more just for my wife and I. This means whilst enjoying the parks at Disney I can be more myself with just Mrs Merg there and don't have to switch my 'social side' on and can just relax a bit more even though I do enjoy their company. It also seems more romantic just having Mrs Merg with me in my favourite place and so in between arguing in the heat we can also snuggle up and share an ice cream sundae without having to entertain friends.

mergatroid

I too have been trying to get my favourite online friend to go to a Disney park wif me, for two years now!

One day, one day! Just persevere! :geek:

I have an online friend too. She's Russian and says she loves me. When I ask her about Disney she says 'sure' and continually asks for my bank account details so she can book the trip for the pair of us. Seems a lovely lady :)

GoGoJules

DH is like that but he still goes along (I think mostly just to humor me). He loves amusement parks in general, I think it's the extended time that gets to him. He'd much rather go to another country to visit for a week than spend that kind of cash at Disney.

Luckily my sister is as much of a dork as me so she's almost always up for a Disney adventure!

PrincessRachelT

My mom has always hated going to Disney. To the point that she would let my dad and I go alone, so she could stay home (we lived a few hours away and went twice a year). I always asked her why she didn't want to go, and she always just says "it's too fake". Last year I mentioned going to Food and Wine for a few days, and she seemed interested, so I proposed a trip in the fall for Food and Wine (Epcot was always her favorite) and staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge, tailoring the trip just for her, and now she's beyond excited to go! I think taking a trip with her grandson makes it better too (it'll be his first trip to Disney). My husband also wasn't a huge fan until we stayed at the Grand and spent more time relaxing at the parks.

DfromATX

No, because people like that would be downers. I have a brother who is like that. He has a 6 year old son, loves Star Wars, and even has a sister-in-law who lives in Florida and he still doesn't want to go. The closest I got with him was hearing him say something like, "Now that Disney owns Star Wars" it might happen one day... but they are going to Florida in June and going to Universal. :cautious:

The_Jobu

Different strokes for different folks, right?

My father isn't big on the parks, so he will probably drop us off for rope drop, enjoy the amenities at AKL, pick us up for an off-site dinner, bring us back and pick us up after the night shows. Everyone's happy and gets to do what they want on vacation.

Tony the Tigger

I was that person about 20 years ago. I moved from NJ to FL but had no intention of going to WDW. My only reference point for a theme park was Great Adventure. I thought WDW would be similar but with Mickey's face on the front of the rollercoasters. Meh.

It wasn't until I dated someone who loved it, who really wanted to bring me, so I went more for him...

...the first time!

I was surprised to find most of the rides were not roller coasters, and many weren't even rides, but shows.

I returned home and weeks later remember thinking they must brainwash you because I didn't even understand why I liked it so much!

And the rest is history. Love it ever since.

Spikerdink

Two years ago I went on a date where we decided to meet at the nearby beach that has a boardwalk. We could walk, talk and get to know one another.

About a half hour into the date, we were strolling along and asking each other questions. I was asked where do I like to vacation. I mentioned my annual trips to Disney. I spoke of DVC, my favorite things to do.... and then heard how Disney is boring, never want to go back, too this, too that.... I knew then this relationship would not progress any further. Totally incompatible.

After walking we were supposed to get coffee or a drink. When we walked to the cars I said, well this was nice, but I think I may just head home....

Someone who does not want to go to Disney at least once with me is a definite non-starter.

So I keep looking for the right one.....

Missymoe4

Two years ago I went on a date where we decided to meet at the nearby beach that has a boardwalk. We could walk, talk and get to know one another.

About a half hour into the date, we were strolling along and asking each other questions. I was asked where do I like to vacation. I mentioned my annual trips to Disney. I spoke of DVC, my favorite things to do.... and then heard how Disney is boring, never want to go back, too this, too that.... I knew then this relationship would not progress any further. Totally incompatible.

After walking we were supposed to get coffee or a drink. When we walked to the cars I said, well this was nice, but I think I may just head home....

Someone who does not want to go to Disney at least once with me is a definite non-starter.

So I keep looking for the right one.....

Absolutely. I am the EXACT same way. I do not need to be with someone as Disney crazy as myself, but he has to at least want to take a trip (even a short one) to satisfy my need for Disney.

Oh, and I commend you for ending the date. So many times I struggle and would put myself through the obligatory coffee. Good work.

DisneyFans4Life

My mother and father in law are like this. Don't get me wrong, they enjoy Disney, but they don't understand why my wife and I go so much and don't like the idea of "paying money to stand in line all day."

They will go with us every once in a while, but it takes some work to get them to open up their wallet.

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
My mom had pretty severe claustrophobia and couldn't handle intense crowds. My whole family went to WDW together once when I was very young, but my mom never wanted to go again. It always made me really sad, because the older I got the more passionate I became about the parks and that made me want to share the magic with her even more. She loved Disney movies and Disney characters, but it makes me sad that I never really had the chance to experience my favorite place in the world with her.

Disneyfreak Jen

Most people in my life have no interest whatsoever, they don't understand it. They can't contemplate how a single adult woman with no children would have any interest in WDW because "it's for kids". I just laugh to myself, they are so clueless. :banghead::banghead::banghead: I used to explain to people that there is so much to do, how great it is for adults, the F&W festival, etc. Now I don't really bother, unless I get the feeling I'm talking to someone who just might "get it".
I love it so much I'm making my second solo trip later this year. :p

RScottyL

I agree that the people that don't like WDW has never been!

I assume they think it is an amusement park like Six Flags, but don't realize it is not like that!

You have things you can learn and you even have "chill" rides such as Spaceship Earth, TTA, COP.

You also have a lot of the beautiful topiary during the spring time to look at!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom