People Waiting at WDW for Harry Potter?!

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
This is why Disney isn't doing anything in reponse to WWOHP: They get more (incredibly stupid) visitors too!

RobGraves

J.K. Rowling wanted a LOT of control & a LOT of $$$$ from DISNEY for Harry Potter & they said NO! Duckberg :rolleyes:

and yet imagine how much they could have made... look at what could have happened... If they would have been able to forsee how popular it would be, they would have surely swallowed pride and a little extra budget to get it done. If a park in as much debt as UO could do it, Disney could have done it better... but they failed to think forward, as they have and continue to do. Do you think anything in the FLE will have a 16hr wait on opening day? if so you are delusional. There is nothing Disney can make that would be competitive for at least a decade. nothing as culturally penetrative and significant. They dropped the ball. The apologists who cant see that are delusional. period.

RobGraves

The last time Disney opened something with a 16 hour wait was a week or so ago.
World of Color.

world of colour had nothing even resembling a 16 hour wait.... hell i was at the 50th reopening of space mountain at DL and the lines resembled nothing like UO on fri, good try though.

and yes, around 11am on Fri it was 16hrs.

Exprcoofto

Im not one to call "photoshop" when I see an unbelievable picture, but come on... I would have had to seen this with my own eyes to believe that CBS would have run this. Nothing against danlb_2000 nor am I insinuating that you did this, but I just cant believe this one is legit.

EDIT: I do believe that people would show up at DHS and ask for Potter. Very plausible.

Here is a picture I took yesterday:

WWoHPFail.png

floridabill

and yet imagine how much they could have made... look at what could have happened... If they would have been able to forsee how popular it would be, they would have surely swallowed pride and a little extra budget to get it done. If a park in as much debt as UO could do it, Disney could have done it better... but they failed to think forward, as they have and continue to do. Do you think anything in the FLE will have a 16hr wait on opening day? if so you are delusional. There is nothing Disney can make that would be competitive for at least a decade. nothing as culturally penetrative and significant. They dropped the ball. The apologists who cant see that are delusional. period.

It's sad really cause then they really would have been the most dominant theme park properties around. I didn't even know they had the opportunity to have this land. what a shame!

coolmark18

world of colour had nothing even resembling a 16 hour wait.... hell i was at the 50th reopening of space mountain at DL and the lines resembled nothing like UO on fri, good try though.

How can something have a 16hour wait? Thats mental! If we say the throughput has at least 950 per hour, thats 15,200 people in the queue? How many can their queue hold?

RobGraves

How can something have a 16hour wait? Thats mental! If we say the throughput has at least 950 per hour, thats 15,200 people in the queue? How many can their queue hold?

The line wrapped around all of IOA, and out to citywalk down past NBA City... it was a 4-5 hour wait just to enter the park.

This was on the bridge to enter IOA in the mid morning hours
scaled.php

35469_548013863841_18003711_32178673_4526763_n.jpg

thats the line ... in Marvel Super Hero Island....

54407903.jpg

a shot of the line extending down past UO and toward Citywalk.

54407873.jpg

54408201.jpg

54408252.jpg

And you doubt for a minute that disney isnt wishing those people were in a line for their attraction generating news?

RobGraves

Also the queue is massive and is designed for 3-4 hour waits... and is very well designed. I didnt go opening day cause ive been quite a few times over the last few weeks... I must say the ride is amazing and absolutely blows away anything else out there right now. and the theming of the whole area is magnificent... it really is the best themed and immersive area of any theme park.

Thrill

Those pictures of the line are unbelievable. I'm hoping that Disney takes this as a sign to start working on Beastly Kingdomme or something huge. It's about time that Disney has a reason to start doing something.

Roxas

It's sad really cause then they really would have been the most dominant theme park properties around. I didn't even know they had the opportunity to have this land. what a shame!

I'm glad they aren't in a way, that would breed complacency and stifle innovation. Here's hoping TWWOHP gives TDO the kick up the backside it needs. :lol:

DisneyDellsDude

I'm glad they aren't in a way, that would breed complacency and stifle innovation. Here's hoping TWWOHP gives TDO the kick up the backside it needs. :lol:
I'm also glad that Disney didn't get Potter. To me, the franchise seems more "Universal" anyway. I'm glad Universal has a big hit on their hands. I just hope it causes Disney to do something nice.

And man, those crowd pictures are insane!!!
I just don't see how anyone could enjoy themselves with that type of crowd.:shrug:

Fractal514

A 16 hours wait at 11 AM? I don't care how good it is, I'll pass.

Here's the thing, how long will this last? We can all guess, we all have theories, but we'll see what the lines are like in a year or two.

I'm sure Disney knew how big it would be, I'm sure they made a calculated decision. I do wish they had stuck with it, but I can understand why they didn't.

Testtrack321

In order for the wait to be 16 hours you have to get something at the end. That means the park was open till 3am. Was it open till 3am?

I can tell you that I've read reports that the line was 20 minutes at 9pm to get into the land, with 90 minute waits for FJ.

RobGraves

In order for the wait to be 16 hours you have to get something at the end. That means the park was open till 3am. Was it open till 3am?

I can tell you that I've read reports that the line was 20 minutes at 9pm to get into the land, with 90 minute waits for FJ.

As someone who knows several people who were working there... those reports are not true. secondly the wait did die down to 10 hours by about noon... mind you storms and heat caused some to leave but it stayed pretty steady for most of the day and there was still a decent line until close. Yes, the majority of the wait was to get into the potter section, it has a capacity and once reached people cannot come in till others leave, this helps maintain a good guest experience. Try to downplay it all you want... name one time you have seen a line like that at disney... name just one... i dare you. ill give you 20 years to work with

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
As someone who knows several people who were working there... those reports are not true. secondly the wait did die down to 10 hours by about noon... mind you storms and heat caused some to leave but it stayed pretty steady for most of the day and there was still a decent line until close. Yes, the majority of the wait was to get into the potter section, it has a capacity and once reached people cannot come in till others leave, this helps maintain a good guest experience. Try to downplay it all you want... name one time you have seen a line like that at disney... name just one... i dare you. ill give you 20 years to work with

What good is a line like that? Certainly not good for Universal. Those people are there, but they are NOT spending money in the shops, they are NOT buying snacks, they ARE trapped in a line. It is not a pleasant experience for the guests or for Universal.

mrbghd

Your view is extremely short sided. Let's see what the wait is like in 6 months, 12 months, 24 months. When a business gives control over a major part of its operations (say an entire land in a theme park), they are essentially selling off infrastructure for short term gains with the hope of long term success. Also, Harry Potter is only culturally signifigant to a portion of society. Not everyone is obsessed about it like its fans.

Also, having a 16 hour wait, if that was in fact the case (reports I saw were 7 hours), is not a positive. It is a sign of poor management and poor planning. These crowds should have been anticipated and IOA should have been better prepared to handle them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom