People to People: Student Ambassador Program

CLandrum

Original Poster
My daughter recently received a letter inviting her to the 2012 Australia trip. As I understand after some research while they make it seem like you child was specially selected for their wonderful academics their name is in fact purchased. I also understand that there have been some issues with certain kids but I have also read great reviews. I understand this program is expensive but given all of that I still think it could be an excellent opportunity. Does anyone on the boards have any experience with this company? What are you opinions?

The Mom

Premium Member
My daughter did this years ago. I think they purchased the names from NJHS and the TIPS(Duke Talent Program) - all of the kids in her group were members of one or both.

It is very expensive, and the chaperones vary in their capabilities - some just seemed to look at it as a free trip to Europe. One of them ended up with a severe ankle sprain while on a glacier because it was unsafe (stepped off the marked trail to take photos). It could have resulted in a more severe injury to a student.
Her home stay family in Germany more or less used the two of them as a babysitters, which I guess is pretty close to being a typical experience for the oldest daughter in a family with young children.

The family did give them one evening off, but just dropped them off at an amusement park and told them which bus to take to get home - they were between 8th & 9th grade.

One of the boys had to be removed from one home because he wasn't getting enough to eat. Many of the kids were not mature enough for this, according to my daughter.

Was it worthwhile? I think any travel experience is valuable. Would I do it again? No. For the same amount of money I could have gone with her, but I still had a preschooler at home.

I would ask some teachers, etc if they could recommend another travel agency that specializes in student tours. My son took one to Europe in 10th grade (10 years later) and it cost less. I saw many of them (student tours) while traveling in Greece & Russia.

CLandrum

Original Poster
Thank you for your honest opinion. I have many concerns. I am going to attend the meeting, which I read is like a big pep really comparable to an Amway convention (lol), to get some more answers. My daughter is only 11(6th grade) and has never been away from home without me for more than 3 days.

The Mom

Premium Member
Thank you for your honest opinion. I have many concerns. I am going to attend the meeting, which I read is like a big pep really comparable to an Amway convention (lol), to get some more answers. My daughter is only 11(6th grade) and has never been away from home without me for more than 3 days.

If it were me, I would pass until she's older. My daughter was a bit older, and had also been away to camps for 2-3 weeks at a time since age 11 before she went. She had actually flown back & forth to camp the summer before, and earlier that summer, so was familiar with changing planes, keeping track of her things, etc.

As I mentioned, you might be able to wait and take the same trip together someday.

CLandrum

Original Poster
I think we are going to pass on this. I really do appriciate your opinion. It really helped me decide. I have spent the morning looking into this and there is a lot of negative out there about the company. I also do not like that the start with out right away trying to decieve you by saying your child is specially selected when infact there names are bought. While my child is in honors classes and does diserve this is it just the worng way to start a buisness venture.
For the record I did check into EF tours and you can select your own teacher or parent and your own trip location. If 6 students go the trip is free for that parent or teacher. Also they estimate a 10 day Europe trip as only costing around $2500 where as the People to People program charges $6700 for a 2 week Australia trip where your child will go with strangers.

Again thank you.

The Mom

Premium Member
I think we are going to pass on this. I really do appriciate your opinion. It really helped me decide. I have spent the morning looking into this and there is a lot of negative out there about the company. I also do not like that the start with out right away trying to decieve you by saying your child is specially selected when infact there names are bought. While my child is in honors classes and does diserve this is it just the worng way to start a buisness venture.
For the record I did check into EF tours and you can select your own teacher or parent and your own trip location. If 6 students go the trip is free for that parent or teacher. Also they estimate a 10 day Europe trip as only costing around $2500 where as the People to People program charges $6700 for a 2 week Australia trip where your child will go with strangers.

Again thank you.

My son went on an EF tour, and because he went with his teacher I was much more comfortable with it.

CLandrum

Original Poster
I just informed my daughter when she arrived home that we were going to pass this time. She is a little heart broken but understands. Thanks for the great advise.

trr1

both my kids received one of these my Daughter is 14 and my Son is 10
I couldnt afford to send one let alone both

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom