News People mover now reopened!

jrhwdw

There are days when MK runs out of park passes. They'd like to release more park passes. This would allow that. And yes, I realize that, as far as FL is concerned, they could increase to 100% capacity, but the company has decided on a lower percentage. However, it is a percentage of total capacity. This ride significantly raises total capacity.
So, TTA would get WDW well beyond 35%? Or am I misreading that?

gustaftp

Listen, I love the peoplemover as much as the next guy, but let’s not act like it’s a make-or-break attraction for a vast majority of visitors. Even with its increased publicity in the fan community over the past decade, most park guests don’t bat a blind eye to it.
I don't know if that's true. While this may be anecdotal, I took my ex-girlfriend to the Magic Kingdom -- she hadn't been since she was 8 -- and People Mover wound up being her favorite attraction by a long shot specifically because it was low-key and pleasant. It consistently ranks high among my family as well, and I'm the only one obsessed with Disney.

corran horn

It has a VERY high capacity, which is important in park operation. If "most park guests don't bat a blind eye to it," why do most park guests ride it in a given day? More guests ride the PeopleMover per day than any other ride at WDW.
Because it's there? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

disneygeek90

I don’t deny that it would marginally increase overall park capacity. I’m referencing how even in normal times, Cast Members can hardly manage the attraction’s load and unload process. Entire cars often pass by empty because they couldn’t load them quickly enough. Part of this is also because of the fact that Disney no longer operates the automatic ramp lift continuously, but stops and starts it to bring guests up in waves instead of in a continuous flow. There’s a disconnect between the loading bay and the main queue on the ground, and there are usually long gaps between loading waves. That’s not even considering COVID restrictions. Not only will a minuscule number of parties be allowed onto the loading bay at a time, but cast members also have to wipe down every single car. They don’t have a separate load/unload to do this like in Spaceship Earth or Haunted Mansion. COVID makes too much hastle for too little return on capacity increases.
I don't think there's a single attraction that they're wiping during each ride. At most it is every hour, and I'm not even sure they're still doing that.

Goofyernmost

Once, while boarding the PeopleMover with my nephew (who was little at the time), I told him, "Be sure to buckle your seatbelt––this thing goes upside-down!" Of course, my nephew knew I was joking (especially when he saw that there were no seatbelts).

But the family standing behind us in line did NOT know this, and they heard my "warning" and took it quite seriously.

Apparently, they were extremely concerned about falling out during the upside-down portion of the ride and were upset that they could not find their safety restrains.

To that family–wherever they are: I'm sorry!
Something similar, but not scary. I was traveling solo in the early 2000's and was standing in the queue first in line for a place on the Backstage tour tram. A family of 5 (two adults and three small kids) first timers came up and were in my boarding line. I overheard them talking and told them that I had been on this ride a gazillion times and the view was much better on the left side of the tram (it actually was). I let them ahead of me and as I was getting on a few people grinned and one gave me a thumbs up. I, of course, was setting them up because the left side of the tram is the side that got the most water in Catastrophe Canyon. It actually was one of the highlights of the tour mostly because it is usually just a fine mist, but if the wind is up, it can get quite damp. The wind was up. I apologized to them when we got off, but they were not angry at all. They thought it was fun. So I told them that was the experience I was hoping they would have. Yea, that's the ticket!

Last edited:

DoleWhipDrea

Listen, I love the peoplemover as much as the next guy, but let’s not act like it’s a make-or-break attraction for a vast majority of visitors. Even with its increased publicity in the fan community over the past decade, most park guests don’t bat a blind eye to it.
Hi there. In 2017 on my first visit to Magic Kingdom, I *had* to ride the PeopleMover first. I grew up on the west coast and was a fan of Disneyland’s. Fast forward a few years and I moved to Orlando and had an AP which expired at the end of last year. I’m not going back until the PeopleMover is back up and running again. It’s my must do.
I don't think there's a single attraction that they're wiping during each ride. At most it is every hour, and I'm not even sure they're still doing that.
I think the general practice is every 2 or 3 hours. Definitely not every ride. The CMs make an announcement when it’s happening, give a time frame of how long it will be (usually 10-15 minutes.)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don’t deny that it would marginally increase overall park capacity. I’m referencing how even in normal times, Cast Members can hardly manage the attraction’s load and unload process. Entire cars often pass by empty because they couldn’t load them quickly enough. Part of this is also because of the fact that Disney no longer operates the automatic ramp lift continuously, but stops and starts it to bring guests up in waves instead of in a continuous flow. There’s a disconnect between the loading bay and the main queue on the ground, and there are usually long gaps between loading waves. That’s not even considering COVID restrictions. Not only will a minuscule number of parties be allowed onto the loading bay at a time, but cast members also have to wipe down every single car. They don’t have a separate load/unload to do this like in Spaceship Earth or Haunted Mansion. COVID makes too much hastle for too little return on capacity increases.

The SOP at reopening was every two hours.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It felt more often than that last summer. Any time I was in line more than 30 min, they would pause the queue for about 10 min. Maybe just bad luck. It was even more frequent at Universal.

The plane actually smelled clean!
I was party to that “on paper” figure - I dare say in the real world it did fluctuate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom