News People mover now reopened!

Bocabear

Unless you consider strobe lights to be a "show effect" (I certainly don't).
but but but... that strobe light was the "Big Finale" with a burst of air! LOL...That whole botched New Tomorrowland was a textbook example of how cutting the budget can and will cut the soul out of a project....
Now if they will just put the Orbitron on top of the old Peoplemover station where it belongs and get it off the esplanade, we can close the book on that horrible period in Disneyland History.

Goofyernmost

It’s a 50-year old ride that used cutting edge tech in the 70s that does not have replacement parts in 2021.

Imagine you discover the best computer 1971 had to offer in your attic and now need to fix it up.
My feeling is that over 50 years ago (in fact closer to 70 they engineered and built from scratch creating parts that they needed to make it run the first time. Now we don't have the intellectual ability to either duplicate something from 70 years ago or build new with todays available technology. They used the same excuse back in the 90's when they were planning on closing CoP. The parts were wearing out and can't be replaced, they said. Well, brainiacs, someone built those parts in 1964 and now you are trying to convince me that we can no longer duplicate that technology today. No it's always they don't want to duplicate. They can tell the truth, we already know anyway. It is, of course, more expensive now, but Disney was able to do it when park admission was something like $3 per person. I think the charge for admission has acceded the increased cost of machinist's time.

trainplane3

It’s a 50-year old ride that used cutting edge tech in the 70s that does not have replacement parts in 2021.

Imagine you discover the best computer 1971 had to offer in your attic and now need to fix it up.
I'd rather them do it right the first time then have constant issues with it or removal. So I'm glad they're trying to get it to be in tip top shape.

91JLovesDisney

They've probably had to recreate some parts they weren't able to get ahold of... I love the LIM but at this point it may be quicker to replace the system with something they can maintain in the future.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My feeling is that over 50 years ago (in fact closer to 70 they engineered and built from scratch creating parts that they needed to make it run the first time. Now we don't have the intellectual ability to either duplicate something from 70 years ago or build new with todays available technology. They used the same excuse back in the 90's when they were planning on closing CoP. The parts were wearing out and can't be replaced, they said. Well, brainiacs, someone built those parts in 1964 and now you are trying to convince me that we can no longer duplicate that technology today. No it's always they don't want to duplicate. They can tell the truth, we already know anyway. It is, of course, more expensive now, but Disney was able to do it when park admission was something like $3 per person. I think the charge for admission has acceded the increased cost of machinist's time.
50-ish not 70.

The earlier versions had a different propulsion system. It’s an important distinction between the New York and Anaheim, and then the Orlando, Houston and D.C. systems.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

50-ish not 70.

The earlier versions had a different propulsion system. It’s an important distinction between the New York and Anaheim, and then the Orlando, Houston and D.C. systems.
Yes, I was generalizing because I rode people movers, or at least the same basic thing, at Expo 67 in Montreal. I figure that the technology was probably around for a while before that as well. I was to young to have gotten out much at that point.

Daily Magic

I heard a rumor it was delayed again until the end of April but couldn’t find info on this anywhere. What’s the current “projected” reopening?

nickys

Premium Member
I heard a rumor it was delayed again until the end of April but couldn’t find info on this anywhere. What’s the current “projected” reopening?
I don’t think there’s been an actual projected re-opening. All the rumours appear to have used the official park hours and the date on which it no longer said it was closed. Which is why it has been rolled out a couple of months at a time.

dmw

In the Parks
No
I've seen it reported elsewhere that it will open this Sunday...accompanied by video showing POV testing at night with guests in the park.
I saw the Disney food blog post the April 4 date on FB, but I think they were still using the last end of refurb date from the Disney official site. And, we know those official dates can and do change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom