News People mover now reopened!

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Quick Question: What is proper ramp etiquette? Should one stand in place or walk up the ramp?
Follow up question: Should a sign be posted?
Follow up, Follow up question: Will the up ramp be activated or remain stationary?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
If they really want this fixed they should give up on the imagineers and ask Miles from Tomorrowland to come home.
41AF6638-FC96-4530-A308-914646050D46.png

_caleb

Quick Question: What is proper ramp etiquette? Should one stand in place or walk up the ramp?
Follow up question: Should a sign be posted?
Follow up, Follow up question: Will the up ramp be activated or remain stationary?
My money is on it remaining stationary. Otherwise, they need a CM at the bottom to limit the number of people going up so that the loading platform doesn’t get too crowded for safety. Even then, it’s a chore to manage vs. just leaving it off.

Unbanshee

Goofyernmost

My money is on it remaining stationary. Otherwise, they need a CM at the bottom to limit the number of people going up so that the loading platform doesn’t get too crowded for safety. Even then, it’s a chore to manage vs. just leaving it off.
Just think about how much money a movie theater could make if they were to just sell tickets and never pay to acquire and show the movie. They could just hire someone to block people from entering the theater and not give folks what they paid for.

I honestly do not have a clue about what is going on with the Peoplemover, but it would seem counterproductive to just not let people ride it. It does seem to be taking them longer to fix whatever problem exists then it took the original engineers to operate it safely for the last 50 years. Doesn't say much for our technological advancement does it? I wonder if it has to do with the increasing number of snowflakes that get all shook up when the ride vehicles lightly bump each other.

I wonder if it has to do with the increasing number of snowflakes that get all shook up when the ride vehicles lightly bump each other.
Guests are right to expect that attractions will operate correctly, without trains running into each other. It’s not about “snowflakes”; it’s about standards.

This is Magic Kingdom, the crown jewel of Disney Parks. It’s not a roadside carnival.*

*My apologies to Dinoland USA.

ToTBellHop

Guests are right to expect that attractions will operate correctly, without trains running into each other. It’s not about “snowflakes”; it’s about standards.

This is Magic Kingdom, what used-to-be the crown jewel of Disney Parks. It’s a roadside carnival with unannounced cavalcades and characterless character meals.*

Edited

The crown jewel is now Disneyland Paris, by the way.

Goofyernmost

This is Magic Kingdom, the crown jewel of Disney Parks. It’s not a roadside carnival.*

No, it is sometimes demanding the impossible. Crashing into each other with actual injuries is unacceptable, however setting standards that we ourselves cannot accomplish need to be toned down to reality and basic knowledge of physics and laws of motion. Certain attractions are inherently dangerous like coasters. A docile ride like the Peoplemover, which in most cases you could walk faster then it is moving, lightly bumps into the vehicle in front when it has stopped due to either equipment breakdown or human foolishness, which isn't presenting enough force to misplace a strand of hair, is an unreasonable, unattainable demand of perfection that we don't even hold ourselves too.

It is stuff like that that creates the loss of many fun things because a few make unreasonable demands. Snowflakes! What a guest should expect from something like the Peoplemover is that it doesn't stop at all because it isn't supposed to stop at all. That is the problem not the physical actuality that if it does stop, it might just bump into something close in front of it. Most of the time it stops because some brain surgeon has done something that triggers the safety set up. Automobiles have strong breaks on all four wheels and a full time operator controlling the brakes, yet those damn cars keep running into others. For the money we pay for a car we should be able to expect it to operate in a safeway even if someone else stops quickly in front of us. The only way to fix that is not allow anyone to ride on it anymore, which is were we are at right now with the Peoplemover.

jlhwdw

Certain attractions are inherently dangerous like coasters.

Assuming everything is being maintained correctly and maintenance is being done, roller coasters are actually the safest attraction in any park. They have redundant fail safe safety measures and passenger restraints that a ride like Peoplemover or a flat ride does not have. If a modern day roller coaster has a failure, it's because it wasn't being cared for at the maintenance level.

Also, the PeopleMover should be able to complete a ride stop or an e-stop without vehicles colliding. A PeopleMover vehicle running at outdoor ride speed colliding with a stationary vehicle does in fact create enough force to "misplace a strand of hair", especially on an attraction that allows handheld infants/accommodates all guests.

I'm fine riding PeopleMover knowing there's a chance the vehicles will collide because that's just what they're known for doing now. But they spent decades not doing that as often as they currently are, and there are a few people in my life I would not want on board one of those vehicles, however much of a non-issue you'd like to believe it is on the basis of all of us now just being wussy snowflakes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom