Patty Jenkins' 'Rogue Squadron' coming December 2023

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When will people realize the toxicity doesn't come from criticism, but the attitude and gatekeeping from certain "fans" who insist their opinion on any given show or movie is the correct one?

Case in point, liking or disliking a movie isn't "common sense" but rather a matter of individual taste.
Is there such a thing as a bad movie then? That’s an Honest question. Because someone…somewhere…likes every movie.
No effort is bad by default?

And bruh can express an opinion too…instead of lurking. 😎🍀

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Its the same old arguments.... So why should I even engage, its not like opinions are going to be changed anyways.

I will say this, just because some movie(s) are deemed "bad" by a particular group doesn't mean they are not likable overall, especially by newer generations.
Fair enough.

So you answered the question: somebody likes it…therefore it is successful by default?

I bet the accountants disagree…so my opinion is “minor”

Screamface

I will say this, just because some movie(s) are deemed "bad" by a particular group doesn't mean they are not likable overall, especially by newer generations.

Yet none of those movies ever have any ongoing legacy or fandom. The newer generations I knew who liked TLJ didn't even bother seeing ROS and don't give a crap about Star Wars now.

erasure fan1

Its the same old arguments.... So why should I even engage, its not like opinions are going to be changed anyways.

It is a lot of the same arguments for sure. There's only so many ways we can blame Kennedy. 😜 Personally I'm glad if you and others loved the sequels. I really wish I did. But my question would be this. If they were overwhelmingly loved, why has Disney all but abandoned continuing the sequels story theatricality? That was the plan. Pass the torch to these new characters for 10, 11 and 12. And now we have zero theatrical star wars to look forward to. If as many people were happy with how Disney handled star wars as I'm told they are. Why aren't we seeing he next instalment like we should be?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It is a lot of the same arguments for sure. There's only so many ways we can blame Kennedy. 😜 Personally I'm glad if you and others loved the sequels. I really wish I did. But my question would be this. If they were overwhelmingly loved, why has Disney all but abandoned continuing the sequels story theatricality? That was the plan. Pass the torch to these new characters for 10, 11 and 12. And now we have zero theatrical star wars to look forward to. If as many people were happy with how Disney handled star wars as I'm told they are. Why aren't we seeing he next instalment like we should be?
Disney has “admitted” the failure without saying it. But some feel it’s only “official” if Josh D’amaro has a presser in tight pants?

Here is where we get no where…so we are best to throw it on ice. Not a hard case to make…but whatever.

But would it surprise you if I said I DON’T blame kennedy all that much? I think she may have been miscast…but still has valuable Hollywood skills for the job.
I think there’s a much bigger rat on the whole thing…And they were wrong. So wrong.
Some things fans should do in Hollywood. And fans are fools and I would never normally say that. But not here.

But you have to kinda “believe it”…and the money people don’t.
They’re were taking luge lessons in 1980 😎

erasure fan1

But would it surprise you if I said I DON’T blame kennedy all that much? I think she may have been miscast…but still has valuable Hollywood skills for the job.
It wouldn't surprise me at all. I have said from the start, if she was in charge of the business side of Lucasfilm, I would fully support it. She has an extremely impressive resume from a logistics standpoint. What she doesn't have, is a creative bone in her body. So yes, she was miscast. I have to blame her because she is in charge. As a leader you should know your strengths and weaknesses. She could have put a creative lead in place knowing she lacked the knowledge of star wars. But she continued to make the same mistakes over and over. I put a fair share of blame on Iger as well. It was him who only saw the dollar signs and rushed things into production causing a landslide of poor decisions.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yet none of those movies ever have any ongoing legacy or fandom.
That is not true. There is even a term for it "cult film", and plenty of cult films go on to have long legacies and fandoms.

The newer generations I knew who liked TLJ didn't even bother seeing ROS and don't give a crap about Star Wars now.
That is just your personal experience. Counterpoint, I know plenty of the newer generation that liked the entire ST, and ended up liking all of Star Wars because of it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It wouldn't surprise me at all. I have said from the start, if she was in charge of the business side of Lucasfilm, I would fully support it. She has an extremely impressive resume from a logistics standpoint. What she doesn't have, is a creative bone in her body. So yes, she was miscast. I have to blame her because she is in charge. As a leader you should know your strengths and weaknesses. She could have put a creative lead in place knowing she lacked the knowledge of star wars. But she continued to make the same mistakes over and over. I put a fair share of blame on Iger as well. It was him who only saw the dollar signs and rushed things into production causing a landslide of poor decisions.
She came in with a $4,000,000,000 purchase…and Disney is an oligarchy.
She never really was “in charge”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is not true. There is even a term for it "cult film", and plenty of cult films go on to have long legacies and fandoms.

So Star Wars is gunning for “cult status” now?
Maybe Rey Can sing the Timewarp in the next one??

Simple question here: were they good movies? General, non-Disney sycophant assessment.
Good? And I’m not asking if “some people” liked them.

Prequels were bad movies…some people liked them. But still diminished the potential of the franchise and were bad movies. Long ridiculed.

Good? Yes or no?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Fair enough.

So you answered the question: somebody likes it…therefore it is successful by default?

I bet the accountants disagree…so my opinion is “minor”
That is not what you asked, and this is why I didn't want to engage with you. You don't want to have a proper good faith discussion, you just want to lure someone into a "gotcha" point.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Simple question here: were they good movies? General, non-Disney sycophant assessment.

Prequels were bad movies…some people liked them. But still diminished the potential of the franchise and were bad movies. Long ridiculed.

Good? Yes or no?
More things to try and lure into a "gotcha" point.

Sorry not playing any more.

If you ever really want to have a real good faith proper discussion with no "gotchas" I'm up for it. But until then I'm done.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
First I never said I "loved" the ST. I have always said they had there issues but that I liked them overall.

Second I never said they were "overwhelmingly" loved. All I said was just because some movie(s) are deemed "bad" by a particular group doesn't mean they are not likable overall, especially by newer generations.

Third business decisions are made for many reasons, including (as someone pointed out multiple times in a recent discussion) not being profitable enough. This is part of that same argument that goes round and round, and where I end.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
More things to try and lure into a "gotcha" point.

Sorry not playing any more.

If you ever really want to have a real good faith proper discussion with no "gotchas" I'm up for it. But until then I'm done.
There’s no “gotcha”

It’s a straight, simple question. Direct.

Were they good movies? Total effort.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

Good? Yes or no?
Star Wars is not gunning for "cult status" the franchise has achieved "cult status". Good or Bad is now irrelevant.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Star Wars is not gunning for "cult status" the franchise has achieved "cult status". Good or Bad is now irrelevant.
Quite the opposite…it’s a cultural icon that created the most successful licensed product brand (lb for lb) in history…

Bad movies diminish it/leave money on the table

…and Disney knows that.

Look at the clues…
Think boba fetts and yodas and cgi mark Hamills from the Atari age just “randomly” showed up after?

GimpYancIent

Quite the opposite…it’s a cultural icon that created the most successful licensed product brand (lb for lb) in history…

Bad movies diminish it/leave money on the table

…and Disney knows that.

Look at the clues…
Think boba fetts and yodas and cgi mark Hamills from the Atari age just “randomly” showed up after?
True about the money being left on the table and how the franchise has been mismanaged in efforts to exploit it, but despite all attempts to damage it Star Wars has a dedicated following and there is enthusiasm toward / for more. Good or Bad has, in a way, been bypassed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
True about the money being left on the table and how the franchise has been mismanaged in efforts to exploit it, but despite all attempts to damage it Star Wars has a dedicated following and there is enthusiasm toward / for more. Good or Bad has, in a way, been bypassed.
Don’t get me wrong…I’m not saying it’s dead.

Far from it…it will make bucks for minimum 20 more years.
But they have lost huge sums of easy money on mistakes based in clear stupidity

erasure fan1

First I never said I "loved" the ST. I have always said they had there issues but that I liked them overall.

Second I never said they were "overwhelmingly" loved. All I said was just because some movie(s) are deemed "bad" by a particular group doesn't mean they are not likable overall, especially by newer generations.

Third business decisions are made for many reasons, including (as someone pointed out multiple times in a recent discussion) not being profitable enough. This is part of that same argument that goes round and round, and where I end.
I guess I don't get the defense of everything then. We all know that there are people who enjoyed the movies. Heck, I like transformers but I know, quality cinema they are not. If Disney had doubled down on the sequels, I could see the argument. But it seems they've abandoned ship. You don't drop an entire cinematic plan because of some fans not agreeing with what you've done. Especially Kennedy and Lucasfilm. The people who have gone out of their way to troll the fans and make it clear that we are not the priority. So if they don't care about us, and they've come full stop on their original sequel plans, it would seem even they know they made a wrong turn in Albuquerque.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom