Passports?

ChuckElias

I've also read that in case of the ship leaving without you, the cruise line will leave the contents of your safe with the Port Agent.
I highly doubt this. I've actually seen a show on the Travel Channel channel that showed a couple that missed the ship in the ship's final port of call. They had to fly back to the home port and then they had to beg the customs people to let them back on board because they left several thousands of dollars worth of jewelry in their safe.

If they emptied your safe and left it with the Port Agent, they'd be screwed if you took a flight to catch up with the ship at the next port.

I don't have any definite knowledge about this either way. But I have a hard time believing that they'd do that.

NelleBelle

I highly doubt this. I've actually seen a show on the Travel Channel channel that showed a couple that missed the ship in the ship's final port of call. They had to fly back to the home port and then they had to beg the customs people to let them back on board because they left several thousands of dollars worth of jewelry in their safe.

If they emptied your safe and left it with the Port Agent, they'd be screwed if you took a flight to catch up with the ship at the next port.

I don't have any definite knowledge about this either way. But I have a hard time believing that they'd do that.
Sorry, I misspoke about them leaving all your belongings from the safe with the port authority. I've read on a few travel/cruise sites that they will override the safe and specifically look for your passport in the safe (and if it is not there, will assume you have it with you). Thankfully, I have no personal knowledge re. this.

DisneyDoug85

If you all don't mind, im going to jump in with a related question of my own. My DW and I just received our passports in the mail, we'll be getting the kids theirs soon. We didn't get the cards, just the books. From what I've read, it looks like we could have used the cards to get back on the ship which is nice because then you don't have to be carrying the books around. So, should we have gotten the cards for that reason? Is it worth getting them at this point and paying the application fee again etc? What do you all do with your passport books when you're off the boat at a port etc? Just carry them with you, or do you get a locker somewhere? I'm a worrier, I prefer having them on me rather than leaving them somewhere even if they're locked up....but then you gotta worry about them getting wet or damaged. Thinking we made a mistake by not getting the cards....what are your thoughts?

ChuckElias

So, should we have gotten the cards for that reason? Thinking we made a mistake by not getting the cards....what are your thoughts?
IMHO, the book is better than the card. You need the book to fly home in an emergency. The card has limited benefits. Now that you have the passports, don't bother going back for the card. If you don't want to carry the book with you at certain times, you can make photocopies and carry those. Obviously, it's the same as having the book physically with you, but at least you have good evidence of your citizenship, etc.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If you all don't mind, im going to jump in with a related question of my own. My DW and I just received our passports in the mail, we'll be getting the kids theirs soon. We didn't get the cards, just the books. From what I've read, it looks like we could have used the cards to get back on the ship which is nice because then you don't have to be carrying the books around. So, should we have gotten the cards for that reason? Is it worth getting them at this point and paying the application fee again etc? What do you all do with your passport books when you're off the boat at a port etc? Just carry them with you, or do you get a locker somewhere? I'm a worrier, I prefer having them on me rather than leaving them somewhere even if they're locked up....but then you gotta worry about them getting wet or damaged. Thinking we made a mistake by not getting the cards....what are your thoughts?
The books are the end all, be all. They can be used for anything so you are better to have the books.

I had a small water proof bag that I kept them in around my neck as they were just a little too large for a pocket. This also safeguarded against getting pick-pocketed or having a purse snatched.

DisneyDoug85

IMHO, the book is better than the card. You need the book to fly home in an emergency. The card has limited benefits. Now that you have the passports, don't bother going back for the card. If you don't want to carry the book with you at certain times, you can make photocopies and carry those. Obviously, it's the same as having the book physically with you, but at least you have good evidence of your citizenship, etc.

When you say photocopies, do you mean just of the page with our picture on it? Also, just a regular photocopy that I can make at home etc, or does it have to be some sort of "official" photocopy? Also, I assume the copy isn't good enough to get back on the boat right? So if we're getting off at say Nassau or Castaway, we'd at least have to bring the passport books with us and put them in a storage locker etc if we're worried about them getting wet.

The books are the end all, be all. They can be used for anything so you are better to have the books.

I had a small water proof bag that I kept them in around my neck as they were just a little too large for a pocket. This also safeguarded against getting pick-pocketed or having a purse snatched.

Ok great. I have a waterproof backpack that I like to travel with. Good for holding snacks/drinks, my camera and souvenirs we happen to buy along the way. I'll probably put our cards in a waterproof bag and then store them in one of the interior pockets in my backpack.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Ok great. I have a waterproof backpack that I like to travel with. Good for holding snacks/drinks, my camera and souvenirs we happen to buy along the way. I'll probably put our cards in a waterproof bag and then store them in one of the interior pockets in my backpack.
The backpack will work fine...unless it gets lost or stolen.

The bag around my neck stayed under my shirt and there was next to zero chance of me being separated from it.

What I used was along the lines of this. http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/t...35100&cvo_campaign=non_brand_PLA_Gear_Desktop

donsullivan

Premium Member

The bag around my neck stayed under my shirt and there was next to zero chance of me being separated from it.

What I used was along the lines of this. http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/t...35100&cvo_campaign=non_brand_PLA_Gear_Desktop

I have something very similar. It's the best way I know to carry important documents like a Passport with you and not worry about pickpockets or accidentally leaving something behind. I use it on cruises as well as during most international travel when I'm away from my hotel.

Phonedave

Sorry, I misspoke about them leaving all your belongings from the safe with the port authority. I've read on a few travel/cruise sites that they will override the safe and specifically look for your passport in the safe (and if it is not there, will assume you have it with you). Thankfully, I have no personal knowledge re. this.

I have heard that as well. That they will look in your stateroom and collect your passport, any medication they find, and if you have cash/credit cards and leave that with the port agent.

NelleBelle

When you say photocopies, do you mean just of the page with our picture on it? Also, just a regular photocopy that I can make at home etc, or does it have to be some sort of "official" photocopy? Also, I assume the copy isn't good enough to get back on the boat right? So if we're getting off at say Nassau or Castaway, we'd at least have to bring the passport books with us and put them in a storage locker etc if we're worried about them getting wet.
They recommend a color copy of the page with your picture (it needs to have your passport number, signature, and picture on it). You can use a photo ID to get back on the boat at the ports unless the ship specifically tells you you need your passport (we needed to do that when we were in Spain or maybe it was Portugual--can't remember, but we all stood in a really really long line and had to go through basically airport security screening with X-rays, etc. Lots of armed guards--made me a little nervous since we've never had to do that procedure getting back on the ship at a port. But it was all good in the end).

Our family got the passport cards when we renewed/got our kids passports so when we go into Canada we wouldn't have to drag the book (we're just a couple of hours from BC and like to visit occasionally). Also, it serves as ID for when our children fly--I have very tall children and have had issues with TSA in the past making a "to-do" about my kids not taking their shoes off to go through X-ray scanners, etc. Now we have proof of their age. But we actually all just got our Nexus cards which basically makes traveling with those passport cards redundant (so, waste of $$) because they have photo id on them. It was a sweet deal: for $50/per adult (kids under 18 free), we get TSA pre-check, global entry, and can use the Nexus lanes at the Canadian borders (I think Mexico has special lanes we can use too). So if you live close to the Canadian border, would be worth the lengthy application process! Whew...off the tangent of passport/Nexus cards!:)

DisneyDoug85

That looks nice, and convenient. Does it only hold 1 though? We’ll have 4 passports that we need to carry around and with 2 of them being the kids, obviously they can’t have their own lanyard.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That looks nice, and convenient. Does it only hold 1 though? We’ll have 4 passports that we need to carry around and with 2 of them being the kids, obviously they can’t have their own lanyard.
I am not sure about that one, but I was able to stuff 3 in one that was designed for 1 without any issue.

DisneyDoug85

They recommend a color copy of the page with your picture (it needs to have your passport number, signature, and picture on it). You can use a photo ID to get back on the boat at the ports unless the ship specifically tells you you need your passport (we needed to do that when we were in Spain or maybe it was Portugual--can't remember, but we all stood in a really really long line and had to go through basically airport security screening with X-rays, etc. Lots of armed guards--made me a little nervous since we've never had to do that procedure getting back on the ship at a port. But it was all good in the end).

Our family got the passport cards when we renewed/got our kids passports so when we go into Canada we wouldn't have to drag the book (we're just a couple of hours from BC and like to visit occasionally). Also, it serves as ID for when our children fly--I have very tall children and have had issues with TSA in the past making a "to-do" about my kids not taking their shoes off to go through X-ray scanners, etc. Now we have proof of their age. But we actually all just got our Nexus cards which basically makes traveling with those passport cards redundant (so, waste of $$) because they have photo id on them. It was a sweet deal: for $50/per adult (kids under 18 free), we get TSA pre-check, global entry, and can use the Nexus lanes at the Canadian borders (I think Mexico has special lanes we can use too). So if you live close to the Canadian border, would be worth the lengthy application process! Whew...off the tangent of passport/Nexus cards!:)

Ok great, so whether or not we need it to re access the ship is something they’ll announce after boarding I guess? Yeah I had read that the main purpose of the passport card is for people that live close to the Canadian or Mexican borders and cross frequently. We live in the Philadelphia area so that didn’t really pertain to us. I’m just worried about having to carry and keep track of our passports books at all times. We’re just doing the 4 night Bahamian cruise for our first one, so hopefully we’ll get the hang of it before we do any European or Alaskan etc etc cruises in the future.

jaklgreen

When you say photocopies, do you mean just of the page with our picture on it? Also, just a regular photocopy that I can make at home etc, or does it have to be some sort of "official" photocopy?

Even if you do not have your actual passport with you, if you have a copy or a picture of the main page(with the number and your info), that will help get you back into the country. Not like if you had the actual passport, but they can expedite it much faster if you have that info on you.

NelleBelle

Ok great, so whether or not we need it to re access the ship is something they’ll announce after boarding I guess? Yeah I had read that the main purpose of the passport card is for people that live close to the Canadian or Mexican borders and cross frequently. We live in the Philadelphia area so that didn’t really pertain to us. I’m just worried about having to carry and keep track of our passports books at all times. We’re just doing the 4 night Bahamian cruise for our first one, so hopefully we’ll get the hang of it before we do any European or Alaskan etc etc cruises in the future.
We haven't done the Bahamian cruises (too short of sailing for me, and now after the 11-nt, the 7-nt sailings feel too short :jawdrop:) but all the other caribbean sailings we've done, we've always just used our drivers licenses to get back through the port security and then you scan your room key getting on the ship (which is why we only take copies of our passports and leave the actual passports in our room safe). Whether or not you carry your passport I think depends on you personally, and of course, whether it's required to get through port security to reboard. They generally make several announcements overhead and print everything you need to know in the daily Navigator. Plus, if you're taking an official DCL excursions, they will make sure you have all your required documentations when you check in for the excursion (photo ID, passport, etc). They do a pretty good job of letting you know what you need to get you back on the ship!

DisneyDoug85

Go to Amazon and do a search for Neck Wallet and you'll find countless variations on this concept. There will certainly be multiple that will meet your needs.
Thanks! You're right, plenty of options! I think thats definitely the direction I'll be going in.

Even if you do not have your actual passport with you, if you have a copy or a picture of the main page(with the number and your info), that will help get you back into the country. Not like if you had the actual passport, but they can expedite it much faster if you have that info on you.

That makes sense, thank you!

We haven't done the Bahamian cruises (too short of sailing for me, and now after the 11-nt, the 7-nt sailings feel too short :jawdrop:) but all the other caribbean sailings we've done, we've always just used our drivers licenses to get back through the port security and then you scan your room key getting on the ship (which is why we only take copies of our passports and leave the actual passports in our room safe). Whether or not you carry your passport I think depends on you personally, and of course, whether it's required to get through port security to reboard. They generally make several announcements overhead and print everything you need to know in the daily Navigator. Plus, if you're taking an official DCL excursions, they will make sure you have all your required documentations when you check in for the excursion (photo ID, passport, etc). They do a pretty good job of letting you know what you need to get you back on the ship!

Haha I can imagine! I think we had this conversation in a different thread but yeah, there are times I regret not going for a 7 night right off the bat. But at the same time, with a 7 and 3 (almost 4) year old and being our first cruise, we kinda wanted to play it safe. Ok great, so we'll just have to look out for announcements or the navigator app etc to find out whats required to re-board the ship. That sounds easy enough!

NelleBelle

Does Nexus work at all airports, or just if you are inbound from Canada? Seems odd that it would include Global Entry everywhere since that costs twice as much? ($100)
It works at all airports that have global entry. We specifically asked the border patrol agents who conducted our interview because my mother kept saying it was only from Canada. They handed us a brochure and told us we could use it inbound from any international flight. I'd first heard about using Nexus as a cheaper alliterative than paying for just global entry on our local news. My DH will be testing it out in a few weeks when he flies back from China.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom