Passholder Benefits Dwindling?

menamechris

Original Poster
Yesterday, a friend of mine and I were talking about being passholders - and the topic of dwindling benefits came up. The more I thought about it - the more I thought I should post and get some opinions.

Our main discussion was about the Premium Annual Pass. It used to be that you got into all theme parks AND Pleasure Island, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, and River Country (when it was open), and DisneyQuest. It was a pretty amazing deal. Now, its just the two waterparks, DisneyQuest, and golf (?)(does anyone actually do that?).

Not to mention, dining discounts seemed to be much more prevalent for any passholder. I remember getting passholder discounts at several counter service places in the theme parks that are no longer offered.

So what other perks should they be offering to passholders? Cause prices keep goin' up, while the benefits keep sliding down... :p

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The only benefit that has dwindled that I am really feeling the bite on are room discounts. Those seem to be not that far from gone and they were at one time the sole reason for getting an AP for many people.

devoy1701

The only benefit that has dwindled that I am really feeling the bite on are room discounts. Those seem to be not that far from gone and they were at one time the sole reason for getting an AP for many people.

I agree. We used to be able to get room discounts that would come out to be worth more than what we paid for the passes. You can still get pretty heavy discounts on some of the Deluxe Resorts (I've gotten WL for about $145 a night) but they sure are drying up for Mods and Values.

The QS discounts are also drying up. When we become passholders 4 years ago there was atleast one QS eatery in every park where the discount was good. Now I think DHS is the only one that is left. And Table Service restaurant discounts are usually for the not as popular restaurants and only during lunch time.

I wish they used the same program that Disneyland did...10% off all food and merchandise regardless of where for Regular APs, 20% for Premium.

menamechris

Original Poster

menamechris

Original Poster
I wasn't around yet for those! Does anyone know how many Passholders WDW has and how much it has grown over the years?

I don't know any figures, but my impression is that management sees it as an area that needs serious growth (i.e. monthly payment plans for FL residents; last years promotion of 15 months for 12). My personal opinion is that even little "perks" and discounts or ACTUAL benefits (not golf at the lame golf course) would go a long way to getting more people to open their wallets.

DisneyJoe

It used to be that you got into all theme parks AND Pleasure Island, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, and River Country (when it was open), and DisneyQuest. It was a pretty amazing deal. Now, its just the two waterparks, DisneyQuest, and golf (?)(does anyone actually do that?).

You forget ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex......:eek:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I really miss the AP lounges. The one in the Land was particularly peaceful and a wonderful place to rest, and they even had characters visit from time to time.

Overall, though, I've seen an increase in AP benefits lately, primarily in the form of the 10%/20% merchandise discount at all Disney-operated merch sites on property (parks, resorts, DtD, etc.). This is a pretty significant benefit added last year. Although it is "temporary", it certainly seems to be at least medium-term temporary. Heck, it's already lasted almost as long as the AP lounges!

Merch discounts are now better at WDW then DL, while dining discounts are better at DL.

disneypearl

They are getting pretty bad. The last time I went I just ended up using the general public discount because it was better than the AP one.

menamechris

Original Poster
Overall, though, I've seen an increase in AP benefits lately, primarily in the form of the 10%/20% merchandise discount at all Disney-operated merch sites on property (parks, resorts, DtD, etc.). This is a pretty significant benefit added last year. Although it is "temporary", it certainly seems to be at least medium-term temporary. Heck, it's already lasted almost as long as the AP lounges!

Merch discounts are now better at WDW then DL, while dining discounts are better at DL.

Well, I suppose if you are someone who enjoys buying "tangible memories" then the merch discount would be a great perk. For someone like me though, in order to have that "benefit" would require me to spend money I wouldn't in the first place. I probably buy maybe 2 or 3 Disney items a year.

DisneyJoe

For someone like me though, in order to have that "benefit" would require me to spend money I wouldn't in the first place. I probably buy maybe 2 or 3 Disney items a year.

This is why I believe that Disney doesn't try to encourage more people to become AP holders - AP holders don't spend much in comparison to those who purchase MYW packages and are on one of their "once in a lifetime" vacations with grandma and grandpa.

IMHO, AP holders tend to be very......frugal.

menamechris

Original Poster
IMHO, AP holders tend to be very......frugal.

I think that's why they are pushing for FL Resident passholders right now. We come back over and over throughout the year - and I know that I personally spend an obscene amount of money on dining and snacks in the parks. The thing is - I would spend even more if I thought I was getting a deal.

Scuttle

They are getting pretty bad. The last time I went I just ended up using the general public discount because it was better than the AP one.[/QUO

Ya me to. what a slap in the face to holders. If Disney really wanted to they could fill the hotels and parks during the offseason with PH discounts. I guess were just not that important. Which seems crazy considering the hospitality and theme park business is all about repeat customers!

This is why I believe that Disney doesn't try to encourage more people to become AP holders -

Take a drive around the greater Tampa Bay area and you'll come to a very different conclusion. There isn't a time of year that Disney doesn't have billboards up advertising the value and benefit of being a Walt Disney World passholder. If that isn't encouraging more passholders then I don't know what is.

MissM

Take a drive around the greater Tampa Bay area and you'll come to a very different conclusion. There isn't a time of year that Disney doesn't have billboards up advertising the value and benefit of being a Walt Disney World passholder. If that isn't encouraging more passholders then I don't know what is.
Oh totally! They put Florida Resident AP billboards up everywhere around here! And they change them to theme whatever season/time of the year it is.

Not to mention, we get Florida resident-specific ads on TV announcing things like the various multi-ticket deals exclusive to Florida residents.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom