Partners Statue Location

WDW Monorail

Original Poster
Is there a particular reason for the Partners Statue location in the center of the hub?

I think it's in a terrible spot. The hub area should be clear of all obstacles. Just let it be completely flat and passable.

As for a new location for the statue, put it in the entrance plaza facing the train station.

lazyboy97o

My understanding is that part of the motivation was a series of gimicky promotions at Disneyland in the mid-to-late-80s at Disneyland that involved plopping down items to promote the theme of the promotion in the hub. By placing Partners in that location, junk could not be erected in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle. When the statue came to the Magic Kingdom it was repeated. However the statue at Tokyo Disneyland is not in the central hub, but a plaza between World Bazaar and the central hub. At Disneyland Paris the statue is not even in Disneyland, but at the Walt Disney Studios Park.

Rob562

That's basically the story I heard, too.
Imagine a portable carnival Ferris Wheel plopped in front of the castle, and you get the idea of what a couple of Imagineers were trying to avoid happen again.

-Rob

JIMINYCR

The Partners statue located in the center of the hub in front of the castle is in the perfect spot. There is Walt and Mickey overlooking the entirety of Main Street, inviting the guests into the hub which branches out into all the lands. As for the entranceway it has Roy Disney and Minnie welcoming people on behalf of Walt. Just as it was meant to be.

CP_alum08

Obviously Partners is never going to move (unless it's ripped out by hurricane winds, I guess) so why even start a thread like this? Just to argue for the sake of arguing?

What you're saying is like saying the Castle should be made smaller because it's too much of an icon.

Edeyore

Obviously Partners is never going to move (unless it's ripped out by hurricane winds, I guess) so why even start a thread like this? Just to argue for the sake of arguing?

What you're saying is like saying the Castle should be made smaller because it's too much of an icon.

Not really trying to argue, but this really is not quite the same. I am sure some people said they will never change the fountain at Epcot. Some are assuming the "Leave a Legacy" tombstones are going to remain, while others are praying they get moved. Many have been bemoaning the "Hat" at the studios, yet there it is. Things can and have changed. A discussion of what someone would like to see changed should not be belittled, even if you do not agree with the notion.

rkelly42

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone complain about the partners statue being in the hub, but to each his/her own.

WDW Monorail

Original Poster

It's not in that location at other Disneyland style parks so why does it have to be there in MK?
I'm not a huge fan of the statue in general but I understand a lot of people like it so I don't mind having it somewhere.

As for clearing the hub, it would alleviate congestion in the area. One can pose an arguement that removing the planters as crown control features would cause more congestion. Just take a look at The Innoventions Plaza in Epcot. The plaza where the East and West walkways are located is clear with the exception of the fountain railing and landscape jutting out several feet in to the path. I haven't seen any congestion problems in this area albeit being smaller and less traveled than the MK hub.

The sort of hub are in the Studios before the hat was added was just a paved circle... literally it was the face of Mickey. I've never seen any arguements against that area but I do see plenty of dislike of the hat "ruining" the area in front of the Chinese Theater. If the hat is removed, you'll have the same barren area that will be filled with guests crossing from one side of the park to the other.

I posed a question and I then made a statement. I personally did not start any arguement. The "arguement" was made against me so I am defending my statement.

The statue is not the park icon. You can equate my dislike of the statue and planters to someone else's dislike of the hat. Both of which can cause congestion but neither of which are really blocking a park icon since the Chinese Theater is not the Srudio's icon regardless of what people say. The Earful Tower was the icon while the theater was more of a central location. Just like SpaceShip Earth is Epcot's icon but not a central point.

I don't mind the hat. I'm not a big fan of the Chinese Theater facade either but I'm not saying that the hat should remain in it's current location for the exact reasons I'm saying I'd like to see the partner's statue moved.

Choodles

I'm sorry its one thing to complain about the lovation of the partners statue but I don't see how you can really be a Disney fan when you say you are not a fan of the statue itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom