Parks gone to the dogs...

LUVofDIS

When my wife and I were flying to WDW in September of 17 there was a lady next to me on the plane with a cat. Now I love cats and this one was wonderful.

We use to have a cat but a few weeks after getting my buddy we found out my wife was allergic. She fell in love with him too and decided not to find a different home for him. She dealt with asthma and crap for 14 years.

Anyway, by the end of the two hour trip my wife was having problems breathing and needed her inhaler that she maybe now uses once a year. She needed it twice, once on the plane and once after we landed.

My point is, I am surprised that we worry about peanut and other allergies but there is no thought to dander allergies that my wife experiences. I personally have only seen a few dogs in the park during all my visits, the last two being September and December of 2017. I hope this isn't happening all the time.

jaklgreen

When my wife and I were flying to WDW in September of 17 there was a lady next to me on the plane with a cat. Now I love cats and this one was wonderful.

We use to have a cat but a few weeks after getting my buddy we found out my wife was allergic. She fell in love with him too and decided not to find a different home for him. She dealt with asthma and crap for 14 years.

Anyway, by the end of the two hour trip my wife was having problems breathing and needed her inhaler that she maybe now uses once a year. She needed it twice, once on the plane and once after we landed.

My point is, I am surprised that we worry about peanut and other allergies but there is no thought to dander allergies that my wife experiences. I personally have only seen a few dogs in the park during all my visits, the last two being September and December of 2017. I hope this isn't happening all the time.

I too am surprised that they only pick and choose which allergy they want to focus on. I am allergic to strong perfumes/colognes and get a full blown allergic reaction to them. I know peanut allergies can be severe but on planes like SWA where they serve them, there is no way of getting all of the residue out. Plus anyone can bring their own. It is rough for anyone who has any kind of allergy.

Minnesota disney fan

I too am surprised that they only pick and choose which allergy they want to focus on. I am allergic to strong perfumes/colognes and get a full blown allergic reaction to them. I know peanut allergies can be severe but on planes like SWA where they serve them, there is no way of getting all of the residue out. Plus anyone can bring their own. It is rough for anyone who has any kind of allergy.

It seems to me like people aren't using all that strong perfume anymore, at least where I go. That is such a relief. I'm not allergic, but can't stand the smell.

jaklgreen

It seems to me like people aren't using all that strong perfume anymore, at least where I go. That is such a relief. I'm not allergic, but can't stand the smell.

I am very very sensitive to it, which I know is not common. I have Hyperosmia which is a hyper sense of smell. So I can smell things most people can't and from a greater distance. It kills me to go anywhere near a smoking area. It is truly miserable to be out in the public at times. Someone always has some kind of strong perfume or cologne on. I just wish that if you are going on an airplane, where I can not escape you, that a person does not wear that stuff, at least not to where someone can smell you 3 rows away.

Minnesota disney fan

I am very very sensitive to it, which I know is not common. I have Hyperosmia which is a hyper sense of smell. So I can smell things most people can't and from a greater distance. It kills me to go anywhere near a smoking area. It is truly miserable to be out in the public at times. Someone always has some kind of strong perfume or cologne on. I just wish that if you are going on an airplane, where I can not escape you, that a person does not wear that stuff, at least not to where someone can smell you 3 rows away.

That sounds awful! I don't have what you do, but I do have a heightened sense of smell, and a lot of smells bother me. Drives my husband crazy cause he can't smell a thing:)

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's a federal law, which Congress will have to amend.

Technically it can be done by the Dept of Justice and put into the FR. The standard of not requiring documentation is an interpretation the courts and DOJ have agreed upon. The law is written so the standards are actually devised by the DOJ - while the principals are set by the law by congress. But having it codified in the law would help.. until someone challenges the constitutionality of the law :D

flynnibus

Premium Member
Congress is well known for their passage of laws that defy logic and reason.
Maybe just this once they could make a worthwhile amendment to an existing law.
Just a thought................:)

An interesting side note.. the current ADA law is exactly that... a re-work of the prior ADA law that was passed after the courts struck down and limited it's application. So Congress went and EXPANDED the scope and passed it again...

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Florida Legislature recently passed legislation cracking down on individuals representing their pets as service dogs. The law makes it a second-degree misdemeanor to misrepresent a pet as a service animal. The law also limits service animals to dogs and miniature horses. 18 other states have passed similar legislation.

Here's a link to the statute...

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Secti...ntType=StatRev&PublicationType=S&BillId=53081

The American with Disabilities Act requires all places open to the public, such as businesses, government agencies and entertainment venues, to give access to service dogs and their owners. And it permits them to ask only two questions: whether the dog is required because of a disability and what tasks the dog is trained to perform. It is illegal to request documentation for the dog or to ask the nature of the owner's disability. However, the law also requires service animal owners to keep their animals under control and allows service animals to be removed from a business or other public place if the animal is not under the handler’s control, is not housebroken or poses a serious threat to others.

With regards to the lady and her poodles, Disney would be within the law if after the bathroom incident, they asked her to leave the park.
Not disputing this specific creature but Disney has been slow to the table with regards to so many disabled accommodations. They are usually settled in California first and then implemented in Florida. Even counters for wheelchair bound guests. Ordering payment kiosks the same. Dogs relief stations the same. If you look at Epcot near the washrooms behind imagination. One bush removed. No grass That is it. Any pet owner knows this isn’t how a dog responds in a 4x4 situation. Thunder Mountain a combo of smoking and dog relief. Come on!!! There isn’t even grass. If a dog needed a place to ‘Go’ as a pet owner I could see why animals have accidents given the weird relief areas. I’ve stayed at Flamingo Crossings on the Western Way access and Marriott gets it. I’ve stayed at the Portifino at Uni. They get it. I believe disability has alluded Disney in the same way technology has alluded Disney. They are just way behind the norm in acceptablly adjusting. Me I believe it has more to promoting from within over hiring the best in the industry for given business practices. People in charge without background experience. Transpiration another failing. Just slide someone into that position regardless of education or background. They have the theme park thing down but so many other best practices they lag behind.

geekza

That is not necessarily accurate and misinformation is harmful to those with dogs who have the protection of ADA for Emotional reasons
Before you call me out for spreading misinformation, might I recommend reading the page where I obtained me original information?

It's the government's ADA FAQ page.

The uses you described in the rest of your post are covered because, as you said, the animals are performing a specific task that assists the person with the disability. I have absolutely no problem with this at all. What I was describing were "Emotional Support Animals" that are only with a person because they calm them down. My dog calms me down, too, when I'm upset or feeling down. I'm not bringing him to WDW and demanding an exception to the "No Pets" rule. If your animal is a legitimate service animal, you need to show a card or something that verifies it. It doesn't, and shouldn't, have to state what your disability is, but it is proof of the legitimacy of your animal. You show the card, your dog goes through. Don't have a card? Time to board Fifi.

Gabe1

Before you call me out for spreading misinformation, might I recommend reading the page where I obtained me original information?

It's the government's ADA FAQ page.

The uses you described in the rest of your post are covered because, as you said, the animals are performing a specific task that assists the person with the disability. I have absolutely no problem with this at all. What I was describing were "Emotional Support Animals" that are only with a person because they calm them down. My dog calms me down, too, when I'm upset or feeling down. I'm not bringing him to WDW and demanding an exception to the "No Pets" rule. If your animal is a legitimate service animal, you need to show a card or something that verifies it. It doesn't, and shouldn't, have to state what your disability is, but it is proof of the legitimacy of your animal. You show the card, your dog goes through. Don't have a card? Time to board Fifi.
I clarified the information that you left out of your previous post regarding Emotional Support animals that are covered by ADA. By omitting the types of Emotional Support animals That ARE permitted it became misinformation so I Clarified because you did not. Nothing more.

geekza

I clarified the information that you left out of your previous post regarding Emotional Support animals that are covered by ADA. By omitting the types of Emotional Support animals That ARE permitted it became misinformation so I Clarified because you did not. Nothing more.
What you described were not Emotional Support Animals at that point. Don't muddy the waters. Honestly, it's not worth arguing over. Sorry if I got riled up, but I don't like being accused of spreading misinformation, which I was clearly not doing.

pdude81

I agree that it's more confusing to make sure people know a small portion of ESA's qualify under the ADA based on it's explicit critieria.

Gabe1

I agree that it's more confusing to make sure people know a small portion of ESA's qualify under the ADA based on it's explicit critieria.

I'm not sure what your sources are for small portion comes from, perhaps you will share.
PTSD and Autism are certainly a growing number of service dogs that are being trained for veterans with PTSD and children and adults on the Autism Spectrum to preform trained tasks or jobs and the bonus is they do bring emotional and comfort to many of these people blessed to have a service dog. And Yes, becoming more educated can be confusing and not something many want to do or honestly have the need to do. But then people in general should not judge disabled without the education behind them to be in a position to call. The conferences I have attended 2x a year educate us on ADA current practices and policies and they are not taken lightly. My DD trained service dogs at her University for multiple years. If just one life it improved by a dog to me it is awesome. Confusing to some but awesome for the recipient. If some would spend time volunteering with Children with Autism through Special Olympics and seeing what these dogs do for children on the spectrum they might jump in and join verses spending time being negative and judging people and guests. Former President Bush has opened his home daily via instagram to educate America.

98ba60b5-c0cd-4a8e-bd9c-cfb67e9258ac-jpeg.292336

b745ff45-8c62-4129-a07e-ff1b8d915c8e-jpeg.292335

Disney puts a great deal of time into creating their policies with their attorneys. There are several Veterans groups that train these emotional comfort dogs for veterans with PTSD. Me, I won't brush them under the rug even if it was true that they are only a small portion of ADA, me who cares given what these veterans went through. Disney and the Mouse welcomes them obviously including the Disney welcomed invictus games which is even a smaller segment of gathering of service dogs.

345jsw.jpg

th

1guide-dog-meets-pluto.jpg

th

Invictus-Games-2016-Pluto-2.jpg

Sure there are people who cheat the system, it is unfortunate but I've never had the information or knowledge to consider calling them out or the desire to. I feel the same way about special passes for those with disabilities. Sure there are some that might cheat the system but I'm not in a position to judge them either as I lack the knowledge of any guest at Disney's specific medical needs, so I don't do that.

Me, my PETS have always been left at home in Illinois with a pet sitter.

Club Cooloholic

All I know is last year I saw a Great Dane walking through mainstreet in Dinseyland. I also know many people claim their dog is a "service" or emotional pet so that they can bring it into a hotel that does not allow dogs, or to avoid paying the hotel pet fee. It's awful but these people are out there, I called a lady out last year and she said I have the vest, i laughed and said give me a day and 60 bucks and I can order on from amazon too.

Mander

In the Parks
No
All I know is last year I saw a Great Dane walking through mainstreet in Dinseyland. I also know many people claim their dog is a "service" or emotional pet so that they can bring it into a hotel that does not allow dogs, or to avoid paying the hotel pet fee. It's awful but these people are out there, I called a lady out last year and she said I have the vest, i laughed and said give me a day and 60 bucks and I can order on from amazon too.

Any breed can be a service dog. So seeing a Great Dane on Main Street tells you nothing.

People abuse the system, absolutely. That doesn't mean we need to automatically assume that every dog that doesn't fit the traditional service dog model is a fake. As Gabe1 said, there are service dogs for PTSD, Autism, and more. Seizure alert, diabetes alert- those are service dogs.

Emotional Support Animals are not Service Animals. They serve a different purpose and are only protected in housing and airlines. If someone is claiming an ESA to get into a Disney park, they should be turned away. I think the odds of you offending a person who legitimately has an ESA are slim to none, since they know what the regulations are. ESAs are easier to fake than Service Animals but it shouldn't be the issue it is since they are only allowed in two places.

Education of the general public would solve a lot of these issues. Giving people who you think are faking a hard time doesn't- especially when you are wrong.

Club Cooloholic

Any breed can be a service dog. So seeing a Great Dane on Main Street tells you nothing.

People abuse the system, absolutely. That doesn't mean we need to automatically assume that every dog that doesn't fit the traditional service dog model is a fake. As Gabe1 said, there are service dogs for PTSD, Autism, and more. Seizure alert, diabetes alert- those are service dogs.

Emotional Support Animals are not Service Animals. They serve a different purpose and are only protected in housing and airlines. If someone is claiming an ESA to get into a Disney park, they should be turned away. I think the odds of you offending a person who legitimately has an ESA are slim to none, since they know what the regulations are. ESAs are easier to fake than Service Animals but it shouldn't be the issue it is since they are only allowed in two places.

Education of the general public would solve a lot of these issues. Giving people who you think are faking a hard time doesn't- especially when you are wrong.
I didn't say it didn't tell me anything, but a great dane emotional support pet is like driving down mainstreet in a golf cart and saying it's your EV transport

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom