Parks gone to the dogs...

ELG13

The issuance of paperwork to certify a dog is a bona fide service animal will require modifications to the ADA.
Then it needs to happen. I work for several physicians and we have people coming in all the time trying to get handicap decals, free power, an exemption on one thing or another because they have an ICD or pacemaker. Our docs sign a form to approve or deny the request. It's part of their duties. Whomever is in charge of training or assigning service animals to their new owner should be in charge of it. It will be a change but it's not reinventing the wheel...it's just adding another spoke.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Then it needs to happen. I work for several physicians and we have people coming in all the time trying to get handicap decals, free power, an exemption on one thing or another because they have an ICD or pacemaker. Our docs sign a form to approve or deny the request. It's part of their duties. Whomever is in charge of training or assigning service animals to their new owner should be in charge of it. It will be a change but it's not reinventing the wheel...it's just adding another spoke.

It's a federal law, which Congress will have to amend.

Nj4mwc

HIPPA Shippa. If I have to show Id to purchase alcohol or to prove my kids age people should have some sort of id for their animals.
I've just had too many negative experiences with non service animals being posted as service animals I get irritated. I have a coworker that was going to order a fake vest for her Yorkie and I told her I would not go anywhere with her . I also know people who genuinely need their animals but get sideways looks and comments when they bring them places because of this probLem.
Exactly, if you have a service animal then you are announcing you have some disability, no one needs to know what that is but you should sure have to provide proof it’s a real service animal.

rangerbob

That's great. However, they need to warn other guest well in advance, especially those allergic so they can avoid the park the day. And immediately remove any owner whose pet is not on a leash or out of control - attempting to attack other humans/dogs. And any owner who won't clean up after their pet. I don't see dog poop bag holders on any of those leashes.
They did. I remember this being on numerous website that this even was going to happen. I think it was before the park opened when it happened. https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...r-disney-side-dogs-day-at-magic-kingdom-park/

po1998

I encountered a fully grown Great Dane(and its owner) at Lowes last year. I don't care how tame it appeared to be, or what store policy is, the dog didn't belong in the store. Clearly not a service dog.

My other experience goes back 15-20 years. On a plane, I watched the flight attendants fawning over a dog(including petting it), and then go about there business without ever washing there hands. Found out later in the flight, it was a dog from some sitcom. ed me off to no end. I remember complaining to the airline, but don't recall what compensation, if any, that they gave me.

DfromATX

Out of curiosity what do these people do with their pets, take them on the rides? Leave them in stroller parking? Do they not ride any rides or watch any shows and just walk around with them?

Saw this at the Space Mountain exit on our last trip a couple of weeks ago. I also observed a few dogs at each park. Most had the special vest on and were well behaved, but I also saw a girl going into a bathroom cradling her "baby" Yorkie. (Where's the eye roll emoticon?)

Attachments

• Dog Crate.jpg
    Dog Crate.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 289

jaklgreen

I agree that was the case - they closed it so janitorial could clean up after the dog mess.
It shouldn't be a surprise to Disney that these things will occur. I feel bad for the CM's who have to clean up after these animals. The whole thing is ridiculous in the first place. IMO

They should hand the lady the cleaning supplies and have her clean up after her animals. I wish people would clean up after their kids too.

MuteSuperstar

My goodness we as a culture are completely off the rails. I love my cat more than pretty much every living being on earth other than about a dozen people, but she STAYS AT HOME. The narcissism and rampant idiocy that is abounding these days is ensuring that more and more with each passing day, I do too. Oh dear, am I being judgmental? YES.

First I've heard of this poodle lady. Someone will find out the backstory eventually.

mergatroid

I encountered a fully grown Great Dane(and its owner) at Lowes last year. I don't care how tame it appeared to be, or what store policy is, the dog didn't belong in the store. Clearly not a service dog.

My other experience goes back 15-20 years. On a plane, I watched the flight attendants fawning over a dog(including petting it), and then go about there business without ever washing there hands. Found out later in the flight, it was a dog from some sitcom. ****ed me off to no end. I remember complaining to the airline, but don't recall what compensation, if any, that they gave me.

Not sure how money could make up for flight attendants possibly giving others germs to be honest? An apology and saying they'd train their staff for future events would be justified though.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Emotional Support Animals are not covered by ADA because they aren't trained for a specific function, but I guess there are some state and local laws that allow for them to come into public places. If this lady had multiple poodles, though, I'd raise an eyebrow at their validity as a mental health necessity.

That is not necessarily accurate and misinformation is harmful to those with dogs who have the protection of ADA for Emotional reasons

Over time there is criteria for PTSD and Autism where the dogs have been accepted into the ADA fold as just a few examples. The key is what task the service dog (or animal) does to aid the persons disability. There are physical and psychiatric disabilities recognized. So no a pet just because it brings emotional comfort to you isn't necessarily going to fly as a service dog. If PTSD dog is trained to wake his people during a PTSD type nightmare or lick his face during a panic attack (which tends to shorten the attack) it is then awarded the title of a Psychiatric service dogs and are covered by ADA laws. If a student with Autism has a trained service dog they are allowed to be in public schools with students but it must perform a service to the student or out in public. As an example the dog may sit in students lap when the train dog sees a panic attack coming about or start nudging the students leg with nose to bring awareness to student that a behavior needs to be changed. Also a Psychiatric service dog. I have been fortunate enough to be a school board member when 'our' first service dog a black lab came to school on the bus with a kindergarten student after being in project head start. Over the year the emotional and educational progress that student made because of his dog were eye opening. The aide was also trained with commands the dog followed, stop Billy, (don't let him leave the classroom) Billy Happy (put his head in students lap when he started to get wound up and Billy would pet his head and start to settle back down)

Over time there medical terms have changed over decades. Comfort has fallen to the side and under the umbrella of Emotional Support covers many ADA Psychiatric disabilities. We also remember that many of these service dogs also track diabetic sugar levels and seizures. Not all disabilities are outwardly visible. I am old enough to remember the hell disabled people went through for parking in a handicapped (another term that also given way to more thoughtful words) parking spot when if the 'looked' fine they were judged for using those spots.

elcheapo

I've seen trainers with legitimate service dogs in WDW, training the animals. But that's probably the final stages of training. From what I've read, it takes up to two years to train a dog to become a service animal. And Disney is a great location to introduce the animal to crowded, noisy places. Both the trainer and the dog were clearly marked - she had a shirt on indicating she was a trainer and the dog had a vest indicating it was in training. She didn't interact with anyone, unless they approached her...she told them she was training the dog. All her focus was on that animal.
It’s ridiculous. Leave your pets at home. So many people are exploiting the system. That’s why they have animal pens. Recently in fort Myers airport I never seen so many people with dogs going on an airplane. Totally ridiculous

jaklgreen

Worth noting: There are more designated dog relief areas in the MK, than there are designated smoking areas...
No other comment - just that statistic :).

That is because having to relieve your doggy self is a natural body function. Nobody needs to smoke. A person should be able to get through a day, or even a weeks vacation without smoking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom