parks for 12 & 14 yr old boys

poolstitch 2009

Original Poster
Hi,
My friend is going to disney in april next year. She would like to know if they go to a disney park as a family could the boys wondered round on their own then meet up later. Her boys are 12 & 14 years old.
Thanks

MattC

I would say that depends on the kind of 14 year old you've got. Is he responsible enough to care for himself and watch after a 12 year old. I know some 14 year olds that I would trust with the responsibility and some that would make me laugh hysterically if they asked to go off alone.

pixargal

I agree with MattC. We will be traveling with friends this November. We both have 14 year old sons. This will be the first year that we will allow them to go off on their own (in the same park as we are). They both know Disney like the back of their hands and are both responsible young men. I think it's a great way to give them some independence and to put those decision making skills to use in a real world setting.

sgtmgd

I would say that depends on the kind of 14 year old you've got. Is he responsible enough to care for himself and watch after a 12 year old. I know some 14 year olds that I would trust with the responsibility and some that would make me laugh hysterically if they asked to go off alone.

I agree 100%, depends on the character of the 14 year old. Disney is safe enough for them to roam the parks provided they dont cause mischief and mayham.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
My son was responsible enough to be allowed some park time on his own at 12. He thoroughly enjoyed the independence. At 17 he still prefers to spend his time with me though.

The parks are certainly safe enough, the question is whether the boys can be trusted to behave. That's a judgement call the parents need to make.

sweetpee_1993

As a reformed WDW Hooligan I can personally attest to the antics of bored teens/tweens in Disney parks.

My boys are 16 & 14. We started trying to encourage them to go off from us around 13 or 14 but the oldest wasn't willing to go until he was 15. It started with baby-steps. We'd sit outside M:S or EE and watch the boys run from the exit back to the entrance for multiple rides. Then it turned into us going into a shop a short distance away or going to a show while they did something different which resulted in very brief seperation. At 15 the oldest was taking the bus from our resort to parks on his own and doing his own thing entirely. He even made an ADR for himself and treated himself to the Clam Bake at Cape May for dinner completely solo. That was pretty cool.

Like others said, it depends on the kid. If you're comfortable with it and they are comfortable with it then it's fine. In our case, it was getting the kid comfortable with it that was the hurdle. LOL!

NX2I85

My kids are 15 and 12. On our trip last spring they did great going off by themselves for 2-3 hours at a time. Usually it was to use stacks of Space Mountain FPs while DW and I did CoP and stuff like that.

zurgandfriend

My son is 14 going on 15 and and there is something for him in every park, Magic Kingdom has the 3 mountains, Epcot has Soarin, Test Track and Mission Space and a belly dancer at dinner. DHS has the tower of terror and the R&R coaster. DAK has dinosaur. All of the parks also have lots of other cool stuff they will like but won't admit to. My son trys to beat me at Buzz Lightyear or Toy Story Mania every trip.

cba

DHS is probably the best park, with ToT, Rockin' Roller Coaster, ST, ect. In terms of trusting the boys to go alone, I'll ask you the following: Do you know the 14 year old boy well? If so, do you know that you can trust him to take care of his younger brother? If you do, I'd say to let him and his brother do what they want. Basically what @MattC said.

scpergj

We let our 14 year old son take his 10 year old sister and 6 year old cousin on Big Thunder without us (third and fourth rides in a row...us adults could only take so much!!), but he usually just stays with us. He could go off on his own, but he prefers to stay together.

If the kids behave well enough and are independent enough, 12 and 14 shouldn't be a problem. Tell them to have fun!

GenerationX

Interesting question. Our sons are now 17, 15, and 13. For years, we've gone our separate ways at the water parks with a home base area that we wander back to throughout the day. We do some things there together, but we've had no problem letting them go their own way (they've been on our local swim team since they were tykes, so that probably contributed to our comfort level).

At the main parks, we've always toured together. I'd be comfortable with any of them on their own, provided they had their phones. We just find it more fun to tour together, because we have similar tastes in attractions, especially now.

PUSH

As others have stated, depends on if they are responsible or not. The last thing you want is WDW security walking up to you with your kids.

JIMINYCR

We let our son venture off as he got to those teen years and showed us that he was more responsible but we required he keep in touch with us by his cell phone throughout the day, just for our peace of mind that he was allright. Then we would require he meet up with us at dinner time and we would stay together for the rest of the evening. Worked out well for us. Showed him that we had trust in him and gave him the confidence that he could go off by himself and be OK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom