News Parking Fees increase effective October 16 2018

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
For Paris, if you stay on-site, it may not be cheaper. Definitely do some research on hotel options. One advantage to staying on-site, though, is you can walk from most resorts to the parks and Disney Village, and there's a train station between the village and the parks, so you can go off-site (Val d'Europe, one of the biggest malls I've ever seen, is one stop away. It has a grocery store in it, among 190 other stores, so that is good for grabbing some things, if you only had a mini-fridge in your room...) Food and beverage prices are higher than WDW as well. Hint: If you want a soda or water, better to buy it at the store in the train station, much more reasonable prices.

I really wish I could do Tokyo this year before my flight benefits run out, but alas, paying for the cruise in January has priority. :(

Back on topic - I'm waiting for the next announcement that parking fees for resort parking have been "enhanced" upwards by $5/day. :cautious: I doubt they'd even announce that, though.

On a more positive note - We all have 4 months now to get ready for the next ticket price increase. Isn't that fabulous?

If you book Paris far enough in advance you can get on-site rooms dirt cheap. We booked for next Fall four or five months ago and got ~$250 for Disneyland Hotel.

DisneyCane

When I first got my AP in 2005 it was $8. Inflation should have taken that up to $10.39. All I know is that if they ever remove free parking from the APs, there is no way I will go to Disney more than a handful of days a year vs. the 15-30 depending on the year that I go now. I'd probably make 1 3 or 4 night trip a year and that would be it. $25 to park is reaching insanity.

At least the food you have other options and don't have to buy it. Plus when you buy it you get something for your money. I understand the need to maintain the lots and pay the staff but $25 a car is a bit excessive.

Why anybody would pay for preferred parking has always been and still is beyond comprehension. If you don't want to walk far then take the tram. What exactly do you get out of paying double?

Brooklin Disney Dad

Disney is investing so much in their transportation system. Off site guests need to pay up, or start booking a trip through Disney, eat Disney food, ride Disney transportation. No cars. Use their bus, monorail, or gondola.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney is investing so much in their transportation system. Off site guests need to pay up, or start booking a trip through Disney, eat Disney food, ride Disney transportation. No cars. Use their bus, monorail, or gondola.

No, they aren’t. New buses a few years ago and a gondola don’t constitute “investing so much in their transportation system”. No cars? I’ll let others rip into this, it’s late and I can’t tell if it’s sarcasm or not.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

This is not how capitalism works at all. Disney may be investing in transportation, but that doesn't mean people have some obligation to give them money. Besides, all of the costs for work that is happening right now are allocated to current budgets and accounted for in their plan. Offsite guests already 'pay up' when they park in a lot, or buy a park ticket.

Last edited:

Naplesgolfer

This is not how capitalism works at all. Disney may be investing in transportation, but that doesn't mean people have some obligation to give them money. Besides, all of the costs for work that is happening right now is allocated to current budgets and accounted for in their plan. Offsite guests already 'pay up' when they park in a lot, or buy a park ticket.

"How capitalism works" = Disney can charge whatever the market will allow.

John park hopper

What Disney is:

Capitalism is focused on the creation of wealth and ownership of capital and factors of production, whereas a free market system is focused on the exchange of wealth, or goods and services. ... On the other hand, a private owner in a capitalist system can have a monopoly on the market and prevent free competition.

Bingo--- without competition they can charge whatever the "guests" are willing to pay. It seems Disney hasn't hit the ceiling yet. IMO they will at some point: for us 2019 may be sadly the last trip which our love affair began in 1972

Naplesgolfer

What Disney is:

Capitalism is focused on the creation of wealth and ownership of capital and factors of production, whereas a free market system is focused on the exchange of wealth, or goods and services. ... On the other hand, a private owner in a capitalist system can have a monopoly on the market and prevent free competition.

Bingo--- without competition they can charge whatever the "guests" are willing to pay. It seems Disney hasn't hit the ceiling yet. IMO they will at some point: for us 2019 may be sadly the last trip which our love affair began in 1972

Disney doesn't have a monopoly. They just are the best, in my opinion at what they do and can charge accordingly. You personally have seemed to come to a point where Disney's offerings aren't of sufficient value and you are going to stop being a customer. How is this not the free market?

Naplesgolfer

I feel Disney customer's have a tendency to feel so strongly about the product that they develop a feeling something akin to family. Thus when " Uncle " Disney raises prices or does anything else we don't like we fall into the trap of feeling betrayed and get get irrationally angry.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I feel Disney customer's have a tendency to feel so strongly about the product that they develop a feeling something akin to family. Thus when " Uncle " Disney raises prices or does anything else we don't like we fall into the trap of feeling betrayed and get get irrationally angry.

But sure, people have an emotional attachment to WDW. In fact, the large portion of WDWs marketing and business model is based on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Naplesgolfer

But sure, people have an emotional attachment to WDW. In fact, the large portion of WDWs marketing and business model is based on that.
I just don't understand the level of anger leveled at a company selling a luxury. It is almost raised to the level of social injustice.

Last edited by a moderator:

matt9112

The way most cap-ex is approved at public companies is by showing how it will raise operating revenue. Many millions own Disney stock. The market expect's revenue to increase every quarter.

oh i know....i wish they pulled a dell i mean they buy back so much stock to keep the prices up anyway. with the speed of modern information and fear mongering i feel staying private has never been more attractive. IPOs are like asking the devil for money and in return poof goes any creative though and risk taking and in its place... a giant pile of "but how do we make more money yesterday"

Naplesgolfer

oh i know....i wish they pulled a dell i mean they buy back so much stock to keep the prices up anyway. with the speed of modern information and fear mongering i feel staying private has never been more attractive. IPOs are like asking the devil for money and in return poof goes any creative though and risk taking and in its place... a giant pile of "but how do we make more money yesterday"

Isn't Dell going public again?

rob0519

Both fees are ridiculously high. But why is it not a legitimate comparison?
Because depending on the vacation you could pay to park every day. In Chicago for example: Day 1: Wrigley or Guaranteed Rate Field, Day 2: Museum of Science and Industry, Day 3: Navy Pier, Day 4: Brookfield Zoo, Day 5: Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Planetarium. All about $25 per day , if not more for parking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom