Parking at Walt Disney World parks

Rteetz

Original Poster
It appears that beginning today at Epcot all guests were checked in at the toll plazas and even if you don't pay to park you were given a receipt to park. It slowed down the process of parking of course. Epcot is the test site and it is expected it will soon rollout to all four parks for parking.

It appears to be a way of tracking and making sure everyone who is supposed to pay is paying for parking.

3E160632-AD4E-42E0-8C98-E6D66252D357.jpg

Goofyernmost

It appears that beginning today at Epcot all guests were checked in at the toll plazas and even if you don't pay to park you were given a receipt to park. It slowed down the process of parking of course. Epcot is the test site and it is expected it will soon rollout to all four parks for parking.

It appears to be a way of tracking and making sure everyone who is supposed to pay is paying for parking.

View attachment 292518
Wow, another mountain out of a mole hill. Almost all the cars that park in those places are paid for, or at least a huge majority. They have been giving out receipts since day one and it is not a problem or even a slow up. Get a grip everyone.

What slows down the parking are the folks that feel that they shouldn't have to go all the way to the end of the row and argue with the CM's about parking closer to the tram pickup.

Rteetz

Original Poster
Wow, another mountain out of a mole hill. Almost all the cars that park in those places are paid for, or at least a huge majority. They have been giving out receipts since day one and it is not a problem or even a slow up. Get a grip everyone.

What slows down the parking are the folks that feel that they shouldn't have to go all the way to the end of the row and argue with the CM's about parking closer to the tram pickup.
Typically APs don't have to get a receipt for their parking, they scan and go. That is what has changed. Now everyone has to get a receipt.

donsullivan

Premium Member

View attachment 292518

Absolutely speculation here but I wonder if this is a mechanism to track how many AP's are redeemed for $0.00 parking each day. I have found it very common for them to just wave you through when you show it which would skew the number of paid and comp vehicles there are in a given lot each day. If the CM is forced to do the scan and generate this receipt they can more accurately measure how many vehicles per day are using this feature of an AP each day.

Rteetz

Original Poster
Absolutely speculation here but I wonder if this is a mechanism to track how many AP's are redeemed for $0.00 parking each day. I have found it very common for them to just wave you through when you show it which would skew the number of paid and comp vehicles are in a given lot each day. If the CM is forced to do the scan and generate this receipt they can more accurately measure how many vehicles per day are using this feature of an AP each day.
That would be my guess as well.

The Mom

Premium Member
Maybe it's a way to track the number of people who pay for parking versus the number who have "free" parking at the parks , ie resort guests, pass holders, etc. I would like to think that they will realize that so few people actually pay to park that it's not worth the effort to keep charging. I fear that they will see it as a loss of revenue and will start eliminating "free" parking - just as they have done at resorts.

Lensman

Are they giving receipts to WDW resort guests parking at Epcot as well? I'm wondering whether this is an attempt to get 100% data coverage for some (nefarious) future analysis?

Also, no one has mentioned it so I assume that you don't need to keep the receipt for anything, right? No need to put it on your dashboard or keep it with you to get on the tram. That wouldn't make sense unless they really thought people were sneaking into the parking lot illegally. Do people really drive in the exits to do this? How else would they do this? LOL

But why else would they really need to give you a receipt? I assumed that the attendant pressed the "resort guest" or "passholder" button anyway, sending the data to the secret Disney big data farm in the underground bunker in Burbank.

s8film40

But why else would they really need to give you a receipt? I assumed that the attendant pressed the "resort guest" or "passholder" button anyway, sending the data to the secret Disney big data farm in the underground bunker in Burbank.
But if you pay cash and they press that button, you may have some questions as to why your receipt says $0.00.

Also this is very consistent at most other parks. I go to Universal, SeaWorld and Legoland all regularly with an AP and never have I not gotten a receipt. It seems Disney is the only one that has been kind of lax on this.

Goofyernmost

Typically APs don't have to get a receipt for their parking, they scan and go. That is what has changed. Now everyone has to get a receipt.
Still not that large a contingency to deal with. I don't see how that could possibly be a problem. They go through the same movements except that someone gives them a piece of paper. They will survive.

mistyj

Just for informational purposes, as a DL annual passholder, I have always gotten a receipt when I park. I thought it had to do with being able to re-park if you left during the day. Your AP will not allow you to enter twice on the same day. I know from experience when a cast member scanned mine twice accidentally one morning. I'm sure they don't want you to run out and jump in a friend's car and get them in for free as well.

Goofyernmost

Its a change in how things operate, thats why I am posting it obviously you don't care and its not news to you so why keep going on?
OK, but you did attach a negativity that I don't believe will exist and that is slowing down parking. I've never been there yet where I didn't have to crawl in behind a line of cars. If that isn't the point you were trying to make then I apologize. That was the point I was trying to make. If it is just a news item, the editorial isn't really necessary and I won't have any reason to have a dissenting opinion.

Rteetz

Original Poster
OK, but you did attach a negativity that I don't believe will exist and that is slowing down parking. I've never been there yet where I didn't have to crawl in behind a line of cars. If that isn't the point you were trying to make then I apologize. That was the point I was trying to make. If it is just a news item, the editorial isn't really necessary and I won't have any reason to have a dissenting opinion.
I didn’t attach negativity the report I got from Epcot today was parking was taking longer than normal and this could’ve been part of that.

Biff215

View attachment 292518
Negativity? He said that it will obviously slow down the process. That's a fact. We're resort guests and AP's. We rarely even get our bands scanned, let alone a receipt. I barely even come to a stop in that instance as they wave us through. We're far from the only guests in this scenario, so yes, it will likely have a significant impact on parking especially during peak times.

Is it the end of the world? Of course not. Will we survive? I believe so. But it's certainly newsworthy and will be interesting to watch to see if it continues long term. Personally I'm doubtful it will as guests stuck in their cars at toll booths can't spend money in the parks. I'm guessing this is a short term test to look at the data. Just hoping it doesn't lead to another fee or increase.

Goofyernmost

Negativity? He said that it will obviously slow down the process. That's a fact. We're resort guests and AP's. We rarely even get our bands scanned, let alone a receipt. I barely even come to a stop in that instance as they wave us through. We're far from the only guests in this scenario, so yes, it will likely have a significant impact on parking especially during peak times.

Is it the end of the world? Of course not. Will we survive? I believe so. But it's certainly newsworthy and will be interesting to watch to see if it continues long term. Personally I'm doubtful it will as guests stuck in their cars at toll booths can't spend money in the parks. I'm guessing this is a short term test to look at the data. Just hoping it doesn't lead to another fee or increase.
It is not a fact it is a guess. It takes a whole lot longer to collect cash from paying customers or use credit cards then showing an AP and getting an paper receipt. They have to either show the AP or scan it (don't know how that is handled now) It is a make believe problem that will have close to zero impact on parking time. That is the counter point that I am making. I am not denying that they are doing it or even why. Just that it is a huge nothing other then information which is good until it is sold as bad.

As a news item you are correct, it is good to know and is not the end of the world, (I am not the one that said it would even be a possible problem), but, it is also quite possibly an absolute nothing in terms of parking times. Or at the very least nothing that is even calculable as an individual experience. Why is it necessary to always decide the something that is done will have any affect at all on anything. I don't see it having any, maybe others do, but, it is nowhere near a "it will slow down parking time.

Biff215

It is not a fact it is a guess. It takes a whole lot longer to collect cash from paying customers or use credit cards then showing an AP and getting an paper receipt. They have to either show the AP or scan it (don't know how that is handled now) It is a make believe problem that will have close to zero impact on parking time. That is the counter point that I am making. I am not denying that they are doing it or even why. Just that it is a huge nothing other then information which is good until it is sold as bad.

As a news item you are correct, it is good to know and is not the end of the world, (I am not the one that said it would even be a possible problem), but, it is also quite possibly an absolute nothing in terms of parking times. Or at the very least nothing that is even calculable as an individual experience. Why is it necessary to always decide the something that is done will have any affect at all on anything. I don't see it having any, maybe others do, but, it is nowhere near a "it will slow down parking time.
So scanning my band and waiting for a receipt won’t take any longer than when they simply waved through anyone with a parking pass or AP card? That’s not a guess, it will take longer. Should be less than a minute IF the scanner is working, but multiplied by thousands of resort guests and AP’s every day will make it noticeable to all at some point. Disney has every right to do it and it sounds like the competition already does, but claiming that it won’t slow down the toll booths overall is wishful thinking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom