Park Ticket price potentially increasing

ImperfectPixie

I pride myself on being able to get along with almost anyone, but the garbage being slung around here is tempting me to use the ignore feature.

PolynesianPrincess

There's always exceptions.

But most locals will not be paying to stay in a hotel. Most locals i saw were using the parks the way we use parks in other states - as a place to go and chill and relax, bringing their own foods, drinks, and clogging up the park.

Locals won't buy any merchandise. A foreigner will. Just the excitement being in a foreign country, once in a lifetime trip makes tourists lose their minds and spend the cash.

Foreigners will also have no choice but to eat at parks and surrounding areas.

Foreigners also have to pay for car parking. For the life of me i have no idea why local residents get a free perk like not having to pay for parking. For the two weeks i was in Disney, i paid nearly $160 to park my car - why am i being punished? Why is a local getting the perks free?

Cheap local passes crowd the parks up to insane levels - and turns away high spending tourists, who will seek adventures elsewhere. So whilst Disney may see crowd levels high, they could actually be turning away high spending tourists.

Abolish the cheap local passes in Orlando. Bare minimum make a single tier yearly pass at the top rate. Abolish perks like free parking too. And stop the discounts on restaurants. Crowds will lessen, more high spending tourists will return. Revnue will be higher, and most importantly the experience will be brilliant.

High spending tourists are going to come, crowded or not. Disney World is a vacation destination that MANY people want to experience once in their lives. They will come no matter what. The week of Christmas and New Years is the most expensive time to go to WDW. Does that stop people from going? Nope. It's also the most crowded time of year. Do the crowds stop people from going? Nope. You have no clue how much someone is spending in the parks. I know people who have gone on their one and done Disney trip and they stayed off-site, they took their hotel shuttle to the parks for free, they brought in food, they bought the cheapest park tickets with no park hoppers. Just because someone is a one time visitor or a foreign visitor doesn't mean they're spending any more than a local. Also, Florida residents don't get to park for free at the resorts, just at the parks. So if a FL resident is staying at a hotel onsite, they have to pay to park. You claim that all foreigners go crazy with the spending and locals don't when that simply isn't the truth at all.

Smiley/OCD

There's only one thing the local state can do for Disney and that is to improve the infrustructure around Disney - be it transport, roads, public transport, security etc

I live in London. The state provides a world class metro system. Hell most small cities around Europe have a metro system. Where is Orlando's metro system? The roads are utterly attrocious. I4 at rush hour is a disgrace, yet nothing is done about it.

One Lynx bus system to Disney from the outskirts is utterly ghastly :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is no local community around Orlando parks - unlike Anaheim, that Disney feel the need to keep things sweet for the Orlando state by giving away ultra cheap annual passes. All it does it deter away high paying international and American tourists outside Florida from visiting - due to the huge crowds locals infest.
I-4 at rush hour is a disgrace...HMMMM, last I checked, London has congestion pricing...so if I had to pay exorbitant prices for the RIGHT to visit a city, I would expect the roads to be less crowded.

Lensman

My point was - it isn't a state run company that it has to give anything away to a local population. It's run for profit.

I doubt annual passes ever effects Disney stock price.

Ban the cheap annual pass for Floridians.
Yes, Disney is a for-profit company, and pretty much everyone (validly) complains about how they've used their pricing power in recent years to increase their corporate profits. I don't think anyone would doubt that they act with profit motive.

So this corporation has chosen to offer a set of annual passes only available to Florida residents. Do you think they're doing so out of some feelings of corporate philanthropy? Or do you think they're doing so out of profit motive? I suspect profit motive.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Cull annual passes, and invest in new attractions. Locals will attend anyways. Nothing else to do in Orlando.
images(5).jpg

Smiley/OCD

You must be the first person in history to actively say a positive thing about I4 at rush hour. Bless ...
It's NOT a positive thing...I'm just saying that with congestion pricing, one WOULD expect the roads to bee a little less congested. NYC is implementing this as well...I'll take the train if I have to go into the city. I'll be damned if I have to pay one cent MORE to drive into NYC. I was quoting your post.

GlacierGlacier

It's true. Same thing happened last two years.
I've been seeing that too (personal experience, not as useful as your much more accurate and qualified numbers). Emd of summer seems to be quite nice in WDW. August last year was a great time.

But most locals will not be paying to stay in a hotel.
You're kind-of right with this statement. Your average Orlando native will not stay in a hotel on property. They'll maybe show up for half a day, ride some rides, eat some foods, see a show, then drive home. However, APs (especially the Floridian APs you're targeting) stay in hotels much more often than you think.

My parents regularly do several night stays at the resort hotels, planning out dining reservation after dining reservation. They treat staying on property as a treat, because it absolutely is.

And that's the thing - locals use it more than just one way. Whether it's a casual day at the park, a romantic weekend away from the office, or just because, they're at the parks and they're spending money.
Locals won't buy any merchandise.
I have to laugh at this one. Someone hasn't seen how fast AP lines fill up for exclusive merch, or how many ears, shirts, bags, pins, stuffed animals, and more that are around Orlando. I live on a college campus an hour away and it's literally impossible for me to go a day without seeing at least half a dozen various Mickey Merch.

To many locals, the Disney brand is not a unique trip from hours across an ocean, but part of the Orlando identity. We LIVE here, with this in our backyard. It's part of being a Floridian, and merch is part of how they show it.

Or, you know, they just like Disney.

Foreigners also have to pay for car parking. For the life of me i have no idea why local residents get a free perk like not having to pay for parking. For the two weeks i was in Disney, i paid nearly $160 to park my car - why am i being punished? Why is a local getting the perks free?

If you've chosen to rent a car in the US, you are more than welcome to go off property to eat. If not, Disney has their whole transportation system set up just for you to enjoy being on property the whole time - even with Minnie Vans and the Disney's Magical Express to ease transition.

Cheap local passes crowd the parks up to insane levels - and turns away high spending tourists, who will seek adventures elsewhere. So whilst Disney may see crowd levels high, they could actually be turning away high spending tourists.
Let me know where else those high-spending tourists are going, because I'd be glad to invest in wherever they're visiting.

Abolish the cheap local passes in Orlando. Bare minimum make a single tier yearly pass at the top rate. Abolish perks like free parking too. And stop the discounts on restaurants. Crowds will lessen, more high spending tourists will return. Revnue will be higher, and most importantly the experience will be brilliant.

I think your logic is misguided. If annual passholders ruined park experience and finances, why is Disneyland still one of the most important theme parks in the world? Their population is far, far more AP heavy than Orlando, and they only have three Disney-run hotels. But yet, Disney keeps investing in attractions, lands, and a whole ton of seasonal events to keep those annual passholders coming back. If it wasn't profitable, they wouldn't be doing it.

I think that you're envious about the convenience we experience here in Florida compared to the work required for you to come down here and do the same. I know I would be if I lived in the UK.

Dutch Inn '76

I'm not privy to The Mouse's numbers, but if eliminating cheap APs for Florida residents will help reduce congestion at WDW - while leaving the bottom line relatively unscathed, then I'm all for it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So you’re posturing that without AP’s, the parks would be much, much less busy? 50+ million annual visitors and you think AP’s make up a bulk of those? Wow...

DVC owners don’t pay for parking. Are we the next ones you think should be banned next? I mean, you obviously know all about the inner workings of WDW, since you talked to some random people there.

Do you have swamp land in southern Florida that you’d like to sell, or maybe a bridge in Brooklyn?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
There's always exceptions.

But most locals will not be paying to stay in a hotel. Most locals i saw were using the parks the way we use parks in other states - as a place to go and chill and relax, bringing their own foods, drinks, and clogging up the park.

Locals won't buy any merchandise. A foreigner will. Just the excitement being in a foreign country, once in a lifetime trip makes tourists lose their minds and spend the cash.

You know what they say when you assume...

I'm a Florida resident with a Platinum pass. I also visit frequently. I spend hundreds of dollars every visit on meals and merchandise. I've also spent well over $50k for rooms as I'm DVC.

Add to that the nearly $1K I spend on each runDisney registration and race merchandise 4 times a year. I spend more in 2-3 visits than most foreign guests in one trip.

Oh, and my nearly $4K in annual dues for the DVC properties I have an interest in. Which covers things like common areas, pools, parking lots, and property taxes. I'm not an untypical guest.

Those cheap local passes - there's no such thing as unlike DLR, all Florida residents are entitled to purchase passes at a discount - (I believe my renewal last November was around $800) aren't that cheap. As others have pointed out, Disney wants people year round. If their pass structure didn't fit in their business model, they wouldn't offer it.

You need to move on.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yes. I speak, engage with people.

So many locals sitting down with their own huge spreads of food made in their own kitchen.

The people I see during my 6-7 trips a year carrying in massive amounts of food into the park aren't local.

I stay in a 1 bedroom DVC Villa during most of my trips. It has a full kitchen. I cook meals in my room. The only thing I carry into the park is a filtered water bottle.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
The people I see during my 6-7 trips a year carrying in massive amounts of food into the park aren't local.

I stay in a 1 bedroom DVC Villa during most of my trips. It has a full kitchen. I cook meals in my room. The only thing I carry into the park is a filtered water bottle.
Does your butler carry the rest for you ?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yes, Disney is a for-profit company, and pretty much everyone (validly) complains about how they've used their pricing power in recent years to increase their corporate profits. I don't think anyone would doubt that they act with profit motive.

So this corporation has chosen to offer a set of annual passes only available to Florida residents. Do you think they're doing so out of some feelings of corporate philanthropy? Or do you think they're doing so out of profit motive? I suspect profit motive.

And you'd be correct.

LAKid53

Premium Member
So you’re posturing that without AP’s, the parks would be much, much less busy? 50+ million annual visitors and you think AP’s make up a bulk of those? Wow...

DVC owners don’t pay for parking. Are we the next ones you think should be banned next? I mean, you obviously know all about the inner workings of WDW, since you talked to some random people there.

Do you have swamp land in southern Florida that you’d like to sell, or maybe a bridge in Brooklyn?

Think of all the business Morgan & Morgan will get.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom