Park Security

jchargu3

as a law abiding, permitted, citizen, I have inadvertantly carried my small super subcompact pistol into Epcot and MK (parkhopped) without realizing it was on me, multiple times.

See, I wear it every day, its always on my hip, and it only weighs about 3 lbs and im so used to the weight being there that I didn't think anything of it.

it never caused any harm, it was never noticed (even by me) until I was home (40 mins away).

In my opinion, it's better to have law abiding citizens carry their items with them, in case there were an attack by NON abiding citizens, abiding citizens can quickly help defuse a situation.

However, we're all walking "ducks" at disney, anybody can sneak something through in pockets or taped to their thigh or etc.

worldfanatic

as a law abiding, permitted, citizen, I have inadvertantly carried my small super subcompact pistol into Epcot and MK (parkhopped) without realizing it was on me, multiple times.

See, I wear it every day, its always on my hip, and it only weighs about 3 lbs and im so used to the weight being there that I didn't think anything of it.

it never caused any harm, it was never noticed (even by me) until I was home (40 mins away).

In my opinion, it's better to have law abiding citizens carry their items with them, in case there were an attack by NON abiding citizens, abiding citizens can quickly help defuse a situation.

However, we're all walking "ducks" at disney, anybody can sneak something through in pockets or taped to their thigh or etc.

Ummmmmmm yeah, thanks.
I feel much safer now.:lookaroun

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

As a law abiding, permitted citizen, I question your judgment if you inadvertently carry a weapon into the parks, without knowing it is on your person. Especially on private property where the owner has stated publicly that they are not allowed.

yankspy

Welcome to the Magic Kingdom. Please remove your shoes and stand against the wall.

Kind of takes you away from the magic.:lookaroun

sarah91182

Hey at least they haven't gone the way of Kings Dominion here in Virginia. You have to go thru a metal detector before entering the park.
When I lived up near DC, I looked forward to taking my first trip there after years of passing it on the drive down to WDW. Had I not already purchased the tickets online, I would have turned the truck around.

As for WDW security, it seems it has been upped. I went to HS last Saturday and had my wallet searched. I have one of those little zippered pouches that literally holds a few credit cards on a carabiner with my keys, and it was clipped to my shorts. I went though the "guests without bags" line and the guard stopped me and said he had to search my bag, and I said, "You mean my wallet?" That was a first. I'm gonna do some damage my chapstick! I was at AK this past Saturday & Epcot Sunday and had my Jack Skellington bag but it was routine checking. Just had the iPhone and keys/wallet in it.

elizs77

I have been there twice this summer, and find it seems to vary greatly depending on the individual. I had everything from a cursory glance from a friendly fellow to a full on emptying of my bag. I still think it seems more of a show of security than a real security...

I had the same experience 3 weeks ago. We had a diaper bag backpack, and we kept our ponchos under the stroller. With the bag, some just looked on top, others opened every single zipper and looked in every nook and cranny with a flashlight and stick. With the stroller, some guards didn't even look, one guard had me take all of the ponchos out, and a few guards had me just push up on the bottom of the mesh basket to show that there wasn't anything heavy in there. There was absolutely nothing resembling consistancy, which just made it feel more like security for show. Not saying it is, but there really shouldn't be that much variation between individuals.

jchargu3

As a law abiding, permitted citizen, I question your judgment if you inadvertently carry a weapon into the parks, without knowing it is on your person. Especially on private property where the owner has stated publicly that they are not allowed.

The following is a list of places where you are restricted from carrying a weapon or firearm even if you have a license. Please note that this is a simplified list. The places marked by an asterisk (*) may have exceptions or additional restrictions. See Section 790.06 (12), Florida Statutes for a complete listing.

• any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
    • any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station
    • any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse
    • any courtroom*
    • any polling place
    • any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district
    • any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof
    • any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
    • any school administration building
    • any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption*
    • any elementary or secondary school facility
    • any area technical center
    • any college or university facility*
    • inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport*
    • any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law
I'm sure we've all seen the signs "No weapons allowed" for restaurants and so on... These are not legal nor enforcable rules.

Disney is a private company, the most they can do is have you kicked off premesis and banned.

Yes, I know they do not "allow" these types of items, but the fact is, there is no federal nor state law backing it.

Bigart

I wondered if he did or not...he obviously had a reason to question me as he said I " exhibited a certain suspicious behavior". Apparently my being alone and taking photos was suspicious.

mkt

Premium Member
Yes, I know they do not "allow" these types of items, but the fact is, there is no federal nor state law backing it.

You're right... but there are laws in place if you attempt to return after Disney throws you out and bans you.

There's a member here who was banned for bringing a small hunting knife on property and getting caught with it. I doubt think they'd be more lenient if you're caught bringing a firearm into the park.

mkt

Premium Member
I wondered if he did or not...he obviously had a reason to question me as he said I " exhibited a certain suspicious behavior". Apparently my being alone and taking photos was suspicious.

His reason... hoping to make The Big Catch™.

That's it. Security at WDW is security theater.

Bigart

Well perhaps because I was taking photos of the Monorail he had some sort of reason to think I was taking photos for demolition points on the track. He was very interested as to why I was even shooting photos of it at all. I guess thay can't be too careful. I made sure I offered to erase them from the CF card. I also made sure I mentioned how much $$$ I always spend at the park, and how often I visit.

petersenjp

I would rather security be over cautious then letting everything in. I worked concert arena security (part time) for several years, and during peak times, different shows...the level of security tightened. Also, like others have posted, it really depends on the gaurd. Last time I was at the park, one of the gaurds almost ran me down because he thought my cell phone holder on my hip was a holster! :ROFLOL:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
You're right... but there are laws in place if you attempt to return after Disney throws you out and bans you.

There's a member here who was banned for bringing a small hunting knife on property and getting caught with it. I doubt think they'd be more lenient if you're caught bringing a firearm into the park.

And after you have paid thousands for your room/food/admission and you are banned with no refund and no recourse, you will think about your stupidity next time you strap that gun to your waist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom