Park Reservation System - Rope Drop?

JohnD

With the possible exception of HS for ROTR, is there really any need to rope drop a park with the park reservation system? Let's say, for example, I want to get breakfast at Grand Floridian Cafe before entering MK. In this example would the wait for PPF be that bad if I didn't arrive at rope drop?

DCLcruiser

You are ok at MK, since there's nothing new to rope drop. But, the other parks you should strategically utilize FP+ AND Rope Drop. Rope Drop allows you to wait for the most popular attraction (which are hard to get FP+), while using FP+ for the slightly less popular rides.

Rope drop the following:

EPCOT -> Frozen
AK -> Na'vi River (Standby for FoP is worth the ride, NR isn't worth waiting in line, use FP for Safari in PM when it's cooler)
HS -> ROTR or MMRR (both super new)

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
You are ok at MK, since there's nothing new to rope drop. But, the other parks you should strategically utilize FP+ AND Rope Drop. Rope Drop allows you to wait for the most popular attraction (which are hard to get FP+), while using FP+ for the slightly less popular rides.

Rope drop the following:

EPCOT -> Frozen
AK -> Na'vi River (Standby for FoP is worth the ride, NR isn't worth waiting in line, use FP for Safari in PM when it's cooler)

No FP+ at this time due to COVID. Which is my point. Just a park pass to get in. Everything is standby.

Upvote 0

DCLcruiser

No FP+ at this time due to COVID. Which is my point. Just a park pass to get in. Everything is standby.
Oh, didn't realize you meant under the current situation. I guess it depends on crowds. Right now, the waits are very short.

That being said, if crowds return you'll need to rope drop more than ever. You are going to be waiting on long lines for everything. So, get to the newest attractions at rope drop and then hit up the rest later.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
Oh, didn't realize you meant under the current situation. I guess it depends on crowds. Right now, the waits are very short.

That being said, if crowds return you'll need to rope drop more than ever. You are going to be waiting on long lines for everything. So, get to the newest attractions at rope drop and then hit up the rest later.

Yeah. Thanks. I'm talking about October this year. October next year (WDW 50th) I'm sure will be insane.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

With how sparse the parks are at the moment you really dont need to rope drop because there isnt much competition for attractions. Wait times remain down and guests are being processed through efficiently. But it depends on how you like to attack the parks and move through your day. Personally I'm not a sleep in guy and I enjoy doing as much as I can with as many repeat rides I can get. If I was on a trip now, I'd still get to the parks early and enjoy doing as much as I could fit in in the time I had. Some people would be satisfied with doing an attraction once or twice but I'll grab as much fun as I can.

Upvote 0

Herdman

From what I've seen you don't need to rope drop except for HS. Getting there about 30 minutes after opening lets the bottleneck get through at the gate if you want to avoid the crowds, and the lines haven't gotten out of control by then. We will be in each park for 2 days on our October trip so we are definitely taking a leisurely pace except for HS and not planning to arrive at rope drop.

Upvote 0

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

Glad I found this thread. I'm curious what things will be like when we go in March. With it being the week before Easter and the 50th Anniversary, plus hopefully having a vaccine available, my guess is that we'll need to do an actual rope drop for the first time...well....ever. We are a family of night owls that likes to sleep, but I REALLY don't want to miss out on RotR and I know my DH would be disappointed as well. I didn't initially understand why my DVP suggested two days as HS, but I'm beginning to see why now.

My guess is that our best hope is that WDW continues to limit crowds and brings back some iteration of FP+, or my family figures out how to get up in the morning or get left behind. 😴

Upvote 0

crawale

Rope drop the following:

EPCOT -> Frozen
There are no FPs. Didn't you know that?

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
Glad I found this thread. I'm curious what things will be like when we go in March. With it being the week before Easter and the 50th Anniversary, plus hopefully having a vaccine available, my guess is that we'll need to do an actual rope drop for the first time...well....ever. We are a family of night owls that likes to sleep, but I REALLY don't want to miss out on RotR and I know my DH would be disappointed as well. I didn't initially understand why my DVP suggested two days as HS, but I'm beginning to see why now.

My guess is that our best hope is that WDW continues to limit crowds and brings back some iteration of FP+, or my family figures out how to get up in the morning or get left behind. 😴

Yep. I have two days scheduled for HS although not back to back. Primarily because of ROTR.

Upvote 0

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

There are no FPs. Didn't you know that?
I know that they do not have them atm, but I'm hoping by the time we go there might be something in it's place. This is assuming the crowds warrant a need for a FP+-type of system. As of now, it doesn't seem they are necessary. By March, however, I feel like the attendance caps will be higher resulting in larger crowds (though not anywhere near normal for that time of year, I hope).
Yep. I have two days scheduled for HS although not back to back. Primarily because of ROTR.
Same. We have Sunday and (I think) Thursday. I'm a bit torn on Sunday and have considered switching it with whichever park we have scheduled for Monday specifically to minimize crowds.

Upvote 0

The4mousekeeters

We did find that they are letting people into the park before opening time (to avoid a large gathering at the gates). If you like to get a lot of things done with very small wait times then I would still rope drop, or close to it. But, depending on whether it's mid-week or the weekend, you should be able to enjoy your breakfast and still get in a good amount before wait times move up later in the morning.
(This is based on my experience this past weekend, which was a little different since it was Labor Day weekend.)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom