News Park hopping to return January 1st 2021

Polite

"Starting Jan. 1, you can do something you haven’t done at Disney World since the pandemic reopening: Visit two theme parks in one day.

Disney is bringing back a modified park hopper option that requires visitors to make reservations for their first park and physically go to that park. At 2 p.m., however, they can head to any other Disney park for the rest of the day until that park closes without needing a second reservation.

“As we continue to operate in a responsible way, we are reintroducing the Park Hopper option so our guests have the opportunity to see and do more during their visit while we manage attendance and foster physical distancing,” Disney spokeswoman Erica Ettori said.

It’s a major step in Disney’s phased-in reopening. The turnstiles first began turning again in mid-July, and guests were allowed to visit one park a day as long as they snagged advance reservations first.

Park hopping will be available for passholders and ticket-holders who have that option on their plans. Disney has been selling tickets with the park hopper option to prepare for the change.

If all the daily reservations are already booked for Hollywood Studios, home to Disney’s newest rides, a person could visit later in the afternoon. Or someone waking up early to ride attractions at Magic Kingdom could head to Epcot afterward and grab dinner or a drink.
Disney plans to advise visitors to check DisneyWorld.com/ParkHours and My Disney Experience app for the most updated Park Hopper hours next year in case later the park hoping hours start earlier than 2 p.m., depending on the day and park."

Exciting news! As a DVC Member, I've been able to enjoy many weekends at Disney since August. It'll be nice to resume park hopping in January! Speaking with a lot of the Cast Members at the restaurants, they've been saying it's been staying very steady for them, which is great to hear. Parks definitely seem busier than back in August and October too. I think Disney has been doing a great job adapting and I'm sure they'll continue to tweak things as they push forward. It's nice to see things returning to some normalcy!

JohnD

I wonder if the app hasn’t yet been updated to allow the second park reservations.

I agree though, I think I would feel more confident in planning to park hop if you could reserve park #2 in advance, even if that’s only on the day itself before you actually leave the first one.

My understanding is there are no 2nd park reservations. You can hop so long as you establish that a) you had a park reservation already for another park first and b) the park hopping to the 2nd park is 2pm or later.

JohnD

What on earth are you talking about? Seriously. Is this a riddle?
I had fun with people for being pessimistic about park hopping. That's it. Sorry you can't take it? Thought it was just in good fun, people do that here. I was wrong...

Why are you accusing me of not caring about the pandemic? I'm happy about park hopping that's it. Point ANY post I've made that says otherwise.

What is wrong with you? Stop.
This is bordering on idiotic at this point and not amusing anymore.

I'll just disengage from thread.
Some people can’t help it. They have to wear their virtue signaling on their sleeve.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Hmm. Interesting point. Currently, I’m not sure whether or not ADRs are tied to park reservations or if it’s just make sure your in-park ADR is in the same park as your park reservation. In the case of dining, I would recommend that dining options on the second park be just as spontaneous. Either eat CS Or wait until you are in the 2nd park before finding and making an ADR.
There is no restriction to making ADRs. The onus is on you to make sure you have the corresponding park reservation.

The point is that many people who park hop do so in order to dine in the second park. I don’t think I’ve ever done QS for dinner, not my idea of dinner that’s for sure! And good luck trying to find one in the afternoon day-of. I know it’s possible, but as numbers start increasing that will become pretty hard.

nickys

Premium Member
My understanding is there are no 2nd park reservations. You can hop so long as you establish that a) you had a park reservation already for another park first and b) the park hopping to the 2nd park is 2pm or later.
Yes, I didn’t say otherwise. The poster I was replying to was surprised they hadn’t implemented reservations for the second park. I was suggesting a reason why they hadn’t done that.

matt9112

When I hear about something like this, I immediately get worried that they're going to eventually make this the standard process going forward even once Covid is over for operational efficiency reasons (although the free for all after 2 isn't exactly efficient, so they'd probably make changes there). Leave the park reservation system in place and then also allow you to hop to one other park in the afternoon, and that's the limit of a park hopper.

While it's of course better than not having the ability to park hop at all, if this type of reservation and park hopper system becomes permanent, it's going to really dampen my enthusiasm about ever returning to WDW. I want more freedom than that for the amount of money it costs.
Disney wants to control all the levers. I too think pass reservation system is going to remain due to the amount of data it gives disney to staff etc.

Epcot82Guy

This board is full of Eeyores. They can't help it though, people are predisposed to complain.

Or maybe you have long standing fans who don't find the changes the company is doing appealing. Perhaps people can highlight changes that take things they enjoy away and find that sad.

As one who has been on these boards for years, I don't think that's a fair statement. It's not complaining for complaining. It's highlighting change.

Whether you agree or not is in the eye of the beholder. But this is Disney Parks discussion board. I don't think it's fair to call discourse "Eeyores". That will trigger the Pixie Duster mantra in return. And that's not helpful.

We should all have different opinions. That's how things grow and get better. And we should be respectful of those with different perspectives and do our best to understand their perspective. Not just dismiss and name call (even at a minimal level like that).

Perhaps our entire world could be a bit better if we did that more.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When I hear about something like this, I immediately get worried that they're going to eventually make this the standard process going forward even once Covid is over for operational efficiency reasons (although the free for all after 2 isn't exactly efficient, so they'd probably make changes there). Leave the park reservation system in place and then also allow you to hop to one other park in the afternoon, and that's the limit of a park hopper.

While it's of course better than not having the ability to park hop at all, if this type of reservation and park hopper system becomes permanent, it's going to really dampen my enthusiasm about ever returning to WDW. I want more freedom than that for the amount of money it costs.

Disney wants to control all the levers. I too think pass reservation system is going to remain due to the amount of data it gives disney to staff etc.

Exactly...the best thing - frankly - for the long term is if attendance is terrible and does not immediately pick up. Make them think about it...evaluate where they went too far...make them think they’re at the “ceiling”. It’s happened before and needs to happen again.

Or maybe you have long standing fans who don't find the changes the company is doing appealing. Perhaps people can highlight changes that take things they enjoy away and find that sad.

As one who has been on these boards for years, I don't think that's a fair statement. It's not complaining for complaining. It's highlighting change.

Whether you agree or not is in the eye of the beholder. But this is Disney Parks discussion board. I don't think it's fair to call discourse "Eeyores". That will trigger the Pixie Duster mantra in return. And that's not helpful.

We should all have different opinions. That's how things grow and get better. And we should be respectful of those with different perspectives and do our best to understand their perspective. Not just dismiss and name call (even at a minimal level like that).

Perhaps our entire world could be a bit better if we did that more.

“Responsible consumerism”...its what I always preach. It makes sense. It retains value.

But the praetorians are appalled. The reality is that many new money type diehards actually revel in being restricted/overcharged. Paying more and more for the same or less is a “badge of honor”...”look! I can be overcharged because I’m so “wealthy” “🙄

...that is a tangible thing. It’s part of the marketing/business model thought - behind the scenes.

But it still doesn’t make any sense. It never will. To the ends of the earth.

flynnibus

Premium Member
From a certain point of view, it could be noted that allowing park hopping is a tacit acknowledgement from Disney that they are not getting the overall attendance they can accommodate with current capacity limits in place.

Orrr.... a brain dead simple way of getting more money for doing what they are already doing, and diffusing liabilities with the current AP holders.

Also a lot easier to keep people in the parks longer... and make things like dining more viable.

I think is far more about removing barriers then it is about some admission of weak demand.

dreday3

That's how I understand it too.

I also read somewhere that if you made an ADR at a park you planned to hop to (which I wouldn't do at this time), they will work with you and waive fee? Not sure if that's confirmed or just a CM "talking".
That's not something we are worried about. We are pretty flexible when it comes to dining - a lounge will work just fine.

(and if calling people eeyore's - in fun - is the worst you've seen on this board, I don't believe you! ;) )

Last edited:

matt9112

Exactly...the best thing - frankly - for the long term is if attendance is terrible and does not immediately pick up. Make them think about it...evaluate where they went too far...make them think they’re at the “ceiling”. It’s happened before and needs to happen again.

“Responsible consumerism”...its what I always preach. It makes sense. It retains value.

But the praetorians are appalled. The reality is that many new money type diehards actually revel in being restricted/overcharged. Paying more and more for the same or less is a “badge of honor”...”look! I can be overcharged because I’m so “wealthy” “🙄

...that is a tangible thing. It’s part of the marketing/business model thought - behind the scenes.

But it still doesn’t make any sense. It never will. To the ends of the earth.
I hope people aren't really like that but man if they are thats gross.

JIMINYCR

It will be available and may work for some who like to make spontaneous decisions.

However making plans to hop to a specific park might not be wise. If you booked an ADR at the second park and then found that park was full when you got there, not only do you not have a dinner ADR you might get charged a no-show fee. And then have to waste time at Guest Services to plead your case and get it refunded.

Imagine heading to AK and finding so had everyone else and when you got to the tap stiles you were told “sorry, the park is now full”

Dinner at Epcot would be the safest bet but you’d need to plan to be there for most of the afternoon.

It’s a step in the right direction but there are reasons why it might not be all it seems.
I'm somewhat confused here. If I'm paying for the PH for my trip, I should be able to hop after the 2pm time to my second park, where I may schedule my ADR. If I'm not allowed to schedule in advance my hop to park like the daily park, and taking a chance of being locked out, how can they charge me for that feature? Did I miss where its contingent on getting in depending on park capacity?

twilight mitsuk

I'm somewhat confused here. If I'm paying for the PH for my trip, I should be able to hop after the 2pm time to my second park, where I may schedule my ADR. If I'm not allowed to schedule in advance my hop to park like the daily park, and taking a chance of being locked out, how can they charge me for that feature? Did I miss where its contingent on getting in depending on park capacity?
like when ratatouille opens

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom