Park Attraction Operations in the COVID-19 Era

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
So, now that reopening is on the horizon, I'm beginning to give real thought as to how operations will... work. Will certain rides be off-line? What are the specifics for those that will be operational? Will virtual queues solve everything? EDIT: Where are guests going to wait between attraction reservation times?

All assumptions but then, that's been our territory here since February.

Last edited:

Ben_since_1971

Virtual queues would have to be in place where standard queueing and physical distancing are difficult if near impossible. IASM could have a regular queue as the lanes are wide and the snake can be configured, Peter Pan would have to be virtual due to it's near claustrophobic queue width. Granted numbers of people may have to be monitored, but with reduced capacity maybe that doesn't become an issue.

Pirates - regular
Jungle Cruise - regular but they would have to really spread the queue.
Space Mountain - depending on demand they could go regular or virtual.

Test Track would almost have to be virtual just to control flow. I think it would all boil down to how effective an attraction would be at setting up the queue for social distancing. Same thing for whether an attraction would be on or off line. You could do Dumbo or Aladdin with only every other car occupied. Use every other car on the omni-movers and have CMs wipe down lap bars (at a minimum) after each ride. If anything I could see the water attractions like Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Splash NOT be in operation as they (Jungle less so but still) harbor moist humid environments, and that is not conducive to keeping particles down.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Virtual queues would have to be in place where standard queueing and physical distancing are difficult if near impossible. IASM could have a regular queue as the lanes are wide and the snake can be configured, Peter Pan would have to be virtual due to it's near claustrophobic queue width. Granted numbers of people may have to be monitored, but with reduced capacity maybe that doesn't become an issue.

Pirates - regular
Jungle Cruise - regular but they would have to really spread the queue.
Space Mountain - depending on demand they could go regular or virtual.

Test Track would almost have to be virtual just to control flow. I think it would all boil down to how effective an attraction would be at setting up the queue for social distancing. Same thing for whether an attraction would be on or off line. You could do Dumbo or Aladdin with only every other car occupied. Use every other car on the omni-movers and have CMs wipe down lap bars (at a minimum) after each ride. If anything I could see the water attractions like Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Splash NOT be in operation as they (Jungle less so but still) harbor moist humid environments, and that is not conducive to keeping particles down.
It’d be nice if they took out the screen room where you design the car, and you instead design your car on your phone while waiting in line.

Ben_since_1971

all a virtual queue does is create a mass gathering at the entrance to the attraction.
Not sure about that. I think what they would use it for is to control the number of people IN the queue. It wouldn't replace the physical queue entirely, but by giving people times to return, and if they spread it out so it matches desired capacity, I don't know you would get the FP+ return throngs you see at some attractions. Plus I think guests (most of them - I know I would) would want to maintain some distance. Remember - park capacity is not going to be normal - crowds will not be near as big.

wdwfan22

Not sure about that. I think what they would use it for is to control the number of people IN the queue. It wouldn't replace the physical queue entirely, but by giving people times to return, and if they spread it out so it matches desired capacity, I don't know you would get the FP+ return throngs you see at some attractions. Plus I think guests (most of them - I know I would) would want to maintain some distance. Remember - park capacity is not going to be normal - crowds will not be near as big.
People still gather at the attraction entrance waiting to get it. you see it everyday at rise of the resistance and most recently at World of Disney.

CLEtoWDW

The magic of queues is they provide excellent crowd control. Virtual queues will simply create chaos of people walking around the parks until it’s their time to enter an attraction.

JIMINYCR

The Shanghai model of ground painted square boxes to stand in, designated lines, xxed out spaces, do not stand here areas, along with the newly assigned designated CM Social Distance Squad, seem to be working fairly well over there. I dont see why it couldnt work as well at WDW. Certainly some queues will accommodate guests better than others. After having a soft opening and evaluating the things that do and dont work, it will get figured out.

Pangyal

The one I’m really mulling over is RotR. There is so much CM interaction involved with that attraction, as well as the whole “plot” of being grouped together with others, that I’m not even sure if they are going to want to bother to run it.

disneygeek90

The one I’m really mulling over is RotR. There is so much CM interaction involved with that attraction, as well as the whole “plot” of being grouped together with others, that I’m not even sure if they are going to want to bother to run it.
I think it can still be done. They'll need to limit the amount of people in the transport shuttle and then probably the number in the jail cell. Put one party in each vehicle alone.

There is CM interaction, but aside from the First Order they don't get all that close to you. Unfortunately they'll have to dial that back for the time being. I guess even First Order officer's will need to social distance.

Rob562

I think a lot of the rides will not be running when they first open.

Universal is operating 100% of their rides and most of their shows. The only things outright closed are play areas and splash pads. Any reason you think Disney would be different?

-Rob

Mainahman

Universal is operating 100% of their rides and most of their shows. The only things outright closed are play areas and splash pads. Any reason you think Disney would be different?

-Rob
I'd think based on this, disney will look to do the same honestly.

tiki-4

Smugglers Run & Mission to Mars are the better concern. Each compartment of 6 or 4 is all within 6 feet of each other. Cant do it as is without each occupant which means tweaking show & software.

Disney Crazed

I think the rides that continually move will be harder to do the whole social distancing thing than the shows that they can shut down rows in advance.

Rob562

Smugglers Run & Mission to Mars are the better concern. Each compartment of 6 or 4 is all within 6 feet of each other. Cant do it as is without each occupant which means tweaking show & software.

Mission Space already handles things if riders don't push their buttons. (It's just a simple audio and light cue) Empty seats would be no different. And I would be amazed if the Smuggler's Run programming didn't already account for what to do with empty seats.

The only issue I can see is how they'll accommodate single riders. Do they get their own capsule? Do they stick a single rider in the third row while two people are pilots and empty seats in between?

-Rob

MissViv

I think the rides that continually move will be harder to do the whole social distancing thing than the shows that they can shut down rows in advance.

Yes like Haunted Mansion, People Mover, etc. Any ride that people have touched would need to be sanitized. Not sure how they are going to do this. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I have not been to Universal so not sure how their rides are set up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom