1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Park and Resorts layoffs coming

Discussion in 'Politics and Social Issues' started by lentesta, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Jim S

Jim S Active Member

I will agree they made a horrible deal with NFL but the polls, surveys, and information points to many cutting off ESPN. There are many factors invlved but ESPN is dragging down the entire corporation. The bleeding will continue for awhile.
    As for Star Wars-it was not money wisely spent and it has many stock holders disappointed in the decisions made about the unnecessary social engineering agenda of Star Wars.
    Disney is a massive company and they will always make money but Iger is on egg shells with the political stuff.

2. Monorail_Orange

Monorail_Orange Well-Known Member

FWIW, there have been rumors (coming from inside the company) dating back to 2010 that the "Diamond Collection" Blu-ray releases would be the last round of physical media, the future would be streaming. Clearly, those rumors did not come to fruition, but it shows some thought process. Did they miss the boat by now? Probably, unless they do abandon the Vault concept. Honestly, I think the whole vault concept is now very dated, and could get sunk with a new streaming service, and I think they recognize that. Think about it this way, they have not taken away any of the digital copies people have through Disney Movies Anywhere, even though some of those titles are currently "vaulted." Essentially, between them and my physical copies on optical disc, unless they torpedo all the players (I have a blu-ray that's not network enabled, so good luck to them with that), there is no "Vault" for me. My point is, it would not surprise me to see them abandon the vault once they no longer see physical media being profitable, which is likely in the not-too-distant future.

rreading and ford91exploder like this.
  3. Monorail_Orange

Monorail_Orange Well-Known Member

This is a problem that goes way beyond Iger, but into our society as a whole. "Celebrities" think they should be able to tell their fans what to do. Case in point: Hollywood does this huge extravaganza with a whole bunch of "stars" on broadcast tv for Hurricane relief (and speaks about their political agenda), and gets gross donations of $44Mil. JJ Watt (NFL Football player on the Houston Texans) goes out on social media with no political agenda, says he wants to help, and raises $32Mil. Politics is a very divisive issue in the US right now. Businesses that wish to cater to one political agenda or another are automatically alienating a lot of potential customers. Wall St. ought to chew on Iger and many other CEO's @$$es about that for awhile.

4. Maccabee18

Maccabee18 Member

I have to disagree with you, pay does make better employees. People who are paid a living wage and can work and live on a salary without multiple jobs are far more productive and likely to stay long term with a company. The Disney issue I am assuming is a turn and burn company mentality. Pay low, work them hard, replace for cheap.

The CP kids are having the time of their life because its a party to them. Have you seen what some of these guys do when they are not working? It's fine to have them, but they are temporary. They are not invested in the brand usually, and are there for the fun. Some are Disney fans, and enjoy the culture, but many are not.

I don't know what the statistics are for Disney parks employment but I don't think there are many employees in the 25-50 range due to the drive to hire semi-retired at low wages, and CP programs. To me that is a problem when your workforce is driven by people not in the prime work years who can be invested and create a culture that Disney should be.

KC00, SamN'Dean, jaklgreen and 3 others like this.
  5. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

That's true... more money is an incentive for productivity. However, the people, like the College Program, are interning. They, from my understanding of it are earning some money and receiving credits at school for being in the program. Just like when their parents pay exorbitant amounts of dollars for a credit while attending college, this is just a hands on class that actually pays them something, but, not everything, just like a work study program at school. You don't need productivity incentives when you are there to learn, it's not a career, it's not even a part time job. It's a training session.

Leaving the CP program, lets discuss the minimum wage CM's just starting in the job. Their job, is not only simple, it is a possible stepping stone to a better future. They can utilize that and do what they can to impress their employers or they can rest on their laurels, complaining about low pay and saying that as soon as Disney pays them more, they will give more. That will go on forever and as long as that attitude continues they will always be entry level. It is the fact of work life. We can only control our destiny by showing that we are worth more money. It's not up to Disney to prove themselves to the start up employees. Would it be nice... sure, but, it isn't a hidden secret. They know going in what the pay and benefits are, once they get there why should they expect change without showing they deserve it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Figment2005 and rreading like this.
  6. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

Let's not get carried away here. When I started college, right after High School Graduation, minimum wage was $1.25 per hour. If you do the math that is a grand total of $50.00 per week for a 40 hour week. How much do you think that bought, yet we survived and if we could no longer make a living at that wage, we found another job. To my knowledge no one is chained to Disney. They make the choice to stay. It is the expectations that this all happens in about a month or so. Minimum wage to living wage. If it doesn't happen that soon, then they slack off and make that pay more, work more demand. I can remember getting a part time job unloading freight cars of petroleum products. Cases of oil and 55 gal drums of oil, by hand, no forklifts. they paid $4.25 an hour and I thought I was a Rockefeller.
    If you have never unloaded a freight car, let me assure you they hold a hell of a lot of cases of oil and 55 gal. drums.

smp2k6 likes this.
  7. AEfx

AEfx Well-Known Member

ROFL.

Yeah, I bet they are so upset about the first film grossing 2 BILLION DOLLARS. Or the other billion or so on merchandise so far.

I'm not sure what "social engineering" agenda - because one of the main new characters is female?

People can complain all they want about the creative agenda - but Star Wars and Marvel were the best purchases Disney could have made.

If stockholders hold that against them, I'm sure they can go to bed at night sleeping easy with the fact that they have made the studio #1 for 3 years in a row, and shows no sign of letting up. Or that they now own and control 2 of the 3 biggest film franchises EVER - about to be the top 2 of all time, as TLJ will likely send the Star Wars franchise over Harry Potter in worldwide gross.

Seriously...facts man, you can't debate hard numbers like this.

8. freesvoice

freesvoice Active Member

I'm seen quite a few comments on various boards, from people that have been visiting WDW far longer than I have, saying that for the first time ever these past few years they've just felt like marks. Not a guest but another sheep in the herd just being milked dry without any extra return. And in fact a reduction in return. Sad to see. And even though I've only been to WDW once (going again in a few months) I can say that the magical, custom, exclusive, one-of-a-kind vacation that Disney advertises was not exactly what I experienced. Looking forward to giving it another try but as someone who travels about once a month, I will definitely be putting my vacation dollars elsewhere if things decline.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  9. scorp16

scorp16 Well-Known Member

Rogue One didn't do too shabby either.

10. scorp16

So if Disney didn't have SWL coming to DL and WDW, they'd be banking on the "Slinky Coaster"? Something tells me they aren't exactly regretting the SW acquisition. IMO Disney made a mistake in not pulling the trigger when they had the chance to acquire NFLX.

AEfx likes this.
  11. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

Thread should have ended at this post.

This happens every few years. See also: annual ticket price raises, and Disney's unions going through the whole charade of demanding higher wages when the current contract is about to expire, stalling for months, and then finally setting on a new starting rate that is either 1. what it would have naturally been raised to anyway or 2. Meeting what Universal has already raised it's base rate to.

12. JudyHopps

JudyHopps Well-Known Member

Agreed.

13. AEfx

AEfx Well-Known Member

This is exactly what we have been warning about for years.

It's sad as hell, but it finally has started to dawn on people. And when coupled with everything else - it's the loss of that "feeling" that is really proving to be why Disney is starting to just look like another set of theme parks in Orlando.

Like I said in another thread, Star Wars will undoubtedly be a huge change - but it's not going to do what Disney wants it to do.

Since the MYW initiative a dozen years ago (from the tickets to DME, etc.) the entire focus of the parks management has to convince people to spend a week at WDW. Before that, people went on an "Orlando vacation". Disney often was a huge chunk of that, but they wanted more. After AK was built and failed to bring new visitors to WDW, just spread them out more, they decided the market was "saturated" and the laser focus went on keeping existing guests longer. This was successful, but that changed because...

...Universal got Harry Potter, and we all know what happened since.

It's the return of the "Orlando Vacation" versus the "Disney Vacation". It's already been underway. And Star Wars, as great as it sounds - is really going to exasperate it. It's going to bring a whole new audience to WDW, and a lot of them are never going to have seen Potter, either. In the end, SWL is going to be two rides in a single park, easily done in a day.

They are going to sell massively more one-day tickets, and while that seems good (one-day tickets are expensive), we all know Disney really makes it's money on the resort itself - the lodging and the 3 meals a day you eat. Attendance at Epcot and AK is going to stay stagnant, and it will even likely scrape some of the Teflon off of the MK attendance numbers (the current "if you only go one day" park).

Disney just doesn't have that magical allure it once did, and we all warned this would happen.

On the topic of layoffs, I think it's pretty transparent - again, as many of us warned - Avatar didn't bring new people to Orlando. It says a lot that the concurrent opening of the GoG overlay at Disneyland had people waiting in 7 hour lines, more than this billion dollar addition to AK. While AK itself has a lot of ardent Disney fans who love it's atmosphere - it just is never going to draw people - the half-zoo/half-theme park idea is just nothing that gets the public excited, and putting a so-far one-film "franchise" in there that most people can't name a single character from, wasn't going to change that.

DisLuver, sparky03, Sloan and 15 others like this.
  14. AEfx

AEfx Well-Known Member

I would have no idea, which is why I quoted the Star Wars portion.

I have never, ever watched ESPN. In fact, when I had cable, I actually de-programmed those channels because I could not care less about sports.

creathir and ford91exploder like this.
  15. scorp16

100% correct.

brb1006 and AEfx like this.
  16. freesvoice

freesvoice Active Member

I had a family member go down to Orlando two weeks ago for vacation and was all excited to talked to them about WDW. Turns out they were going down just for universal which came as a shock to me. They did wind up going to Disney Springs but just for food. Going to WDW parks wasn't even a thought.

17. AEfx

AEfx Well-Known Member

And what year was that?

I'm guessing it was closer to a half-century ago than not.

If you don't realize how much the job market, the economy, and basic expenses have ballooned - man, open your eyes.

Your $1.25 an hour would be over $20 an hour if it had just kept up with inflation.

So, get an education, right? Okay. How much did yours cost? The average in the US is like $120,000 now, which puts you in debt for decades. And getting one certainly doesn't guarantee any type of job as it used to.

Man...it's difficult to understand how a living, breathing person who hasn't been in cryostasis for decades could assume that the world of the 1960's/70's has any relation whatsoever to what it's like today. Before millions and millions of those mid-level jobs have been shipped overseas, automation, and corporate greed have run us bankrupt.

DisLuver, Vellamint, jangirl and 19 others like this.
  18. AEfx

AEfx Well-Known Member

True, especially when Netflix hit that period where they decided to strip DVDs from streaming - they were just a year or two too early on that one.

Although, on the other hand, I'm not sure Netflix would be in the position it is today had Disney taken over - they wouldn't have taken nearly the chances they have and produced the quality original content that has made it so successful.

19. davis_unoxx

davis_unoxx Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right. I'm 16 part of Generation Z, unlike the Millennial Generation, we overall do not like it when companies push a political agenda in our faces. I consider myself socially liberal and fiscally conservative, I might even lean liberal. But I would never ever call myself a democrat because of Hollywood's agenda. Generation Z overall wants things to be neutral, we are sick of the left controlling the media and pushing their own agenda. Sick of people like that reporter on ESPN calling Trump a White Supremacist. Like you're supposed to be covering the USC vs Stanford game, you aren't a reporter for CNN...

xdan0920, smp2k6, crispy and 6 others like this.
  20. ParentsOf4

ParentsOf4 Well-Known Member

The last time minimum wage was $1.25/hour was 1967. Adjusted for inflation, that comes out to $9.30/hour, 28% more than today's minimum wage of $7.25/hour.

When I got my first summer job (quite a few years after you ;)), minimum wage was today's equivalent of $9.43/hour, 30% more than today's minimum wage of $7.25/hour.

When the Magic Kingdom opened in 1971, minimum wage was $1.60/hour. Admission to the Magic Kingdom was $3.50, with an 11 Adventure Book costing an additional $5.75. Combined, someone at minimum wage had to work 5.8 hours to pay for that.

Today a one-day Magic Kingdom ticket starts at $99. Someone making minimum wage today has to work 13.7 hours to pay for that.

You and I were fortunate to live at times when minimum wage bought a lot more than it does today.

I suspect someone making $7.25/hour today could really use a 30% pay raise.