1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Park and Resorts layoffs coming

Discussion in 'Politics and Social Issues' started by lentesta, Sep 12, 2017.

1. HauntedPirate

HauntedPirate Premium Member

ford91exploder likes this.
  2. Launchpad McQuack

Launchpad McQuack Well-Known Member

I disagree only because if they make it the only place to get Disney content AND actually basically unload the library into it, it will sell, even if it's mostly to parents who use it to put something on to quiet the kids down. How much they actually put onto the service will likely determine its success, though. If it's just a few Disney Junior shows and a rotating list of a dozen of so movies, it may get an initial reaction, but then will fizzle out. If they load it up with decades worth of animated features, current shows, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, 80s-90s cartoons (basically the old "Disney afternoon" lineup), and the almost bottomless well of content they own (or could purchase/license for the service), then it will likely almost immediately become the #2 service behind Netflix.

CherylM, thejester, brb1006 and 4 others like this.
  3. SpoiledBlueMilk

SpoiledBlueMilk Active Member

Such doom and gloom on this thread. Everything is so black and white in this discussion. Here's my take:
    • I go to WDW every year - looking at going twice a year in the future. Also looking to buy into DVC.
    • I love the company and love their recent strategic acquisitions - Marvel and LFL.
    • I like what Iger did with the magic bands and My Disney Experience.
    • I am happy to see significant investment and redevelopment in the parks.
    • I still feel the magic.
    At the same time:
    • I recognize Disney is a corporation - answerable to shareholders.
    • I am a shareholder.
    • A down quarter isn't going to make me set my hair on fire.
    • Corporations make decisions based on dollars and market conditions. Just because Disney is in the magic and entertainment business doesn't mean they don't operate in the real world.
    • Can some operations be better served through automation? Yes!
    • Should Disney have the ability to shed workers to improve their bottom line for shareholders? Yes
    But then, I'm just a Disney loving capitalist....

4. willtravel

willtravel Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the work benefits are for college program workers vs. full time Disney workers is?

ford91exploder likes this.
  5. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

I listen to the earnings calls each quarter, a nice perk of being retired. And for the past year or so it's been made quite clear that modest increases at Disneyland Resort help offset flat or slightly negative numbers at Walt Disney World.

Not so sound harsh to whomever got laid off, but good. Network Television is a dying business. I am already making plans to "cut the cord" and stop subscribing to cable TV. And if an old guy like me can figure that out, the future of that business is not good. I refuse to pay 100 bucks for 500 channels when I only watch five or six of them and get everything else via Internet.

draybook, Kman101 and ford91exploder like this.
  6. RSoxNo1

RSoxNo1 Well-Known Member

I imagine that Flight of Passage takes 20 people to operate.

7. RSoxNo1

RSoxNo1 Well-Known Member

Um... ESPN is dragging the corporation down, but they are making the broadcasts so vanilla and so exempt from anything remotely offensive (political or not). They're slaves to the NFL because of a horrible TV deal they signed and they're fearful to say anything bad about that product for fear of upsetting Lord Goodell. ESPN is the reason that Tim Tebow lasted as long as he did in Football (and got a job with the Mets). ESPN was complicit in covering up the CTE info and the Ray Rice scandal and fueling the non-story that was Deflategate. They are the reason why Roger Goodell is collecting $40 million a year and they're paying the bulk of that salary with the aforementioned lousy TV deal.

As for grossly overpaying for Star Wars. I see no way that the cost of Star Wars was anything but a gross underpay. Prove me wrong.

Howdy, thejester, njDizFan and 6 others like this.
  8. pax_65

pax_65 Well-Known Member

Thank you. I feel better knowing there will be some demand for my DVC points if I ultimately bail on Disney and sell.

By the way, I always say buying DVC was the best money I ever spent because we had so many great vacations from 2000-2012. The thought of selling was unimaginable back then. :(

9. SpoiledBlueMilk

SpoiledBlueMilk Active Member

The demand is still there!

10. grnflash

grnflash Active Member

Sure they should, that's not really in question. The question is why is the bottom line needs the help.

Is it because staffing has so many redundant or unautomated positions that thousands of roles need to be, should be shed? Or is it because of shortfalls in other areas that need to be compensated for and payroll is the quickest surest way to do that? If that's the case, the problems that led to the shortfall haven't been addressed via this solution.

You say the Disney magic is still there for you and I share that feeling. But as a shareholder I'd be questioning why it's eroding for others. It's not because Tommy's job in payroll can be done by a computer. And imo it's bigger than what Star Wars Land plus a few IP's in Epcot can sufficiently fix. Corporations aren't the only ones who make decisions based on dollars and conditions...guests do as well.

11. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

I agree had many truly magical vacations up till recently where its become clear the DVC of today no longer believes in quality or service and im seriously considering selling Two years ago it would have been unthinkable. Now ???

12. ford91exploder

Probably Michael Eisner

13. HauntedPirate

I, for one, will be curious to see similar graphs from @ParentsOf4 after the end of this current fiscal quarter/fiscal year.

ParentsOf4 and ford91exploder like this.
  14. HauntedPirate

I think Eisner had more respect for Walt than Iger has shown.

SamN'Dean, Jim S, Kram Sacul and 2 others like this.
  15. ford91exploder

Look up the definition of 'indentured servant' and 'company town' and you will have an idea of what 'benefits' a CP'er gets and why their families need to send most of them money to eat.

16. ford91exploder

Yes he did, which is probably why he'll be the one to write the book along with a mea culpa for hiring Iger in the first place

17. ford91exploder

The Bob's are fine its the Guests who are in for rough sailing.

18. peter11435

peter11435 Well-Known Member

If only it were that few

19. ford91exploder

That would require them to abandon the 'Disney Vault' concept something I dont see happening.

Heck i'd pay money to see classics like 'skeleton dance' and 'The Old Mill'. But Disney likely sees streaming as a way to push the latest 'Hot IP'

20. DisneyNerd12

DisneyNerd12 Active Member

Are the parade managers getting fired for once? Or is this something different?