News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

nevol

I’ve seen this type of argument a lot with respect to a lot of changes in Disney Parks, and it’s flat out untrue. It’s false to say that hardcore fans will complain no matter what. Fans complain when a mediocre area of a park is turned into a theme-less cluster of characters. Fans would NOT complain if a mediocre area of a park were improved upon with high quality theming and placemaking.

I’ve seen the “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” defense of Disney quite a bit on this site and I think that reflects a poor understanding of the fanbase’s complaints and objections.
Exactly! Nobody complained about the new matterhorn queue. (please don't exhaust yourselves finding a quote of somebody complaining about the matterhorn queue.)

disneyC97

Far many more would have been receptive had Disney finished what they started; continuing the Victorian era template throughout the pier because Disney is at their best when creating idealized, romanticized, lived-in environments that blend fantasy with history. King Triton's Carousel be given the gingerbread lattice structure that was alluded to 12 years ago, the wrap-around boardwalk the Fun Wheel was suggested receiving and the Gustav Tinkershmidt backstory that was hinted at but went nowhere.

What is so fascinating is the areas that were remodeled by 2012 was met with general praise. The public reacted positively to the changes made and one would think that's all the validation Disney needed to have to know what they were doing, where they were going was the ideal route.
And the aspects of the Pixar changes that IMO are most welcome are the wheel signage and restaurant/shops/promenade facades that continued those changes.

DanielBB8

Exactly! Nobody complained about the new matterhorn queue. (please don't exhaust yourselves finding a quote of somebody complaining about the matterhorn queue.)
Is this because no characters were added? Imagine if they added IP to it.

Pixar Pier added some architectural changes that I thought improved the land.

SuddenStorm

I’ve seen this type of argument a lot with respect to a lot of changes in Disney Parks, and it’s flat out untrue. It’s false to say that hardcore fans will complain no matter what. Fans complain when a mediocre area of a park is turned into a theme-less cluster of characters. Fans would NOT complain if a mediocre area of a park were improved upon with high quality theming and placemaking.

I’ve seen the “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” defense of Disney quite a bit on this site and I think that reflects a poor understanding of the fanbase’s complaints and objections.

Beautifully said. Fans, even the purists, don't complain when a change is an actual improvement. I saw very little, if any complaints about the Fantasyland dark ride enhancements we got around 2015.

Or the beautifully done Big Thunder rebuild that greatly improved the ride experience as well as the finale.

Or, did anyone complain about the many enhancements DCA got prior to Mission: OVERLAY?

It's when Disney delivers us stuff like Tomorrowland '98, Pixar Pier, Winnie the Pooh, etc- stuff that's obviously cheap and not up to what Disney's capable of delivering.

Or changes like the addition of Disney characters to Small World- an addition that distracts from the purpose of the attraction, and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding on the part of Imagineering about why that attraction has been beloved for the last 55 years and has resonated with people all over the world (I once saw video with an Imagineering say that the attraction is like children playing with dolls in their backyard or something- yikes!).

That's not to say you won't find exceptions- I've seen regular posters on other sites who refuse to acknowledge anything good that's been done at Disneyland since the '90s- people who deride everything current management and Imagineering does as an assault on Walt's dream. But those are few and far between, and should be ignored during critical analysis and discussion of the parks.

SuddenStorm

This castle reroof+repaint looks to be a wonderful visual update to the icon of the park. It hearkens back to the proper paint job, but looks to update it for modern audiences.

It's a shame the Incredicoaster couldn't get the same care for it's visual update- instead it got awkwardly aligned LED lights on some awkward looking tunnels.

disneyC97

This castle reroof+repaint looks to be a wonderful visual update to the icon of the park. It hearkens back to the proper paint job, but looks to update it for modern audiences.

It's a shame the Incredicoaster couldn't get the same care for it's visual update- instead it got awkwardly aligned LED lights on some awkward looking tunnels.
Don’t forget it also got impaled babies and static figures noticeably bolted to the floor. 😉

nevol

Pixar Pier looks so quick, cheap, and overall just crude. I wonder how many people actually think it's just a temporary overlay.
DisneylandPanda on instagram is at tokyo disney resort this week, and TDS today. Check his story if you have instagram to see Toy Story Trolley Park. It is beyond incredible. So much more richly detailed than pixar pier, even in the areas where the team lifted architectural features for DCA. The white and blue and green colors with warm popcorn lighting gives the area a calmer mix of warmth and coolness as a backdrop, and the pops of pixar graphics is done in a cute style. Woody's face is emphasized by being warm. The choice of pastels and cooler colors rather than pixar pier's primary colors make the place feel more nostalgic. Overall the affect is more charming, immersive, and inviting.

Last edited:

NateD1226

DisneylandPanda on instagram is at tokyo disney resort this week, and TDS today. Check his story if you have instagram to see Toy Story Trolley Park. It is beyond incredible. So much more richly detailed than pixar pier, even in the areas where the team lifted architectural features for DCA. The white and blue and green colors with warm popcorn lighting gives the area a calmer mix of warmth and coolness as a backdrop, and the pops of pixar graphics is done in a cute style. Woody's face is emphasized by being warm. The choice of pastels and cooler colors rather than pixar pier's primary colors make the place feel more nostalgic. Overall the affect is more charming, immersive, and inviting.
I have been watching his stories all day! This event is WAYYYY better than what DLR had. All I remember from what I experienced in Pixar Fest at DLR was all the different churros and the parade. Both of those were disgusting...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom