News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

TP2000

I still believe TSL will be a third park within my lifetime. If Tokyo's getting a third gate, then so will we.

You are only 19? You will likely live until at least 100, the year 2099, perhaps well beyond that and see the 22nd Century roll in. You will see things in your lifetime none of us could ever dream of. Enjoy that!

Well maybe in YOUR lifetime, you're only 19 after all. But for the rest of us over the age of 35, I don't know if we'll ever see it happen.

It all depends on the political will of Anaheim and how much money Disney is willing to spend to purchase more of the surrounding areas.

Exactly. And the political will of Anaheim has wanted to extend Gene Autry Way right through the Toy Story Lot for the past 10 years. Which is why they only allow Disney to lease that land for a few years at a time. And that deal was made several years ago under Mayor Pringle, who was far more pro-Disney than the rabidly anti-Disney Mayor Tait is. It could get even worse this November, depending on who gets elected, but Gene Autry Way stretching from the Anaheim Convention Center to Anaheim Stadium is what the city really wants. Not a third Disney theme park.

city_presentation_Page_10.jpg

No one thinks Anaheim already extended six lanes of Gene Autry Way from Anaheim Stadium over the freeway to dead-end at an apartment complex on the eastern side of the Toy Story Lot forever, do they? Anaheim wants the Toy Story Lot and they want Gene Autry Way to cut right through it to the largest Convention Center on the West Coast. And Mayor Tait and the anti-Disney members of the Anaheim City Council couldn't care less what IP would go into a third park on that land.

EB-from-Haster.jpg

TP2000

I just realized that each individual neighborhood represents a different location/time period.

The entrance neighborhood represents modern day boardwalks, with grand buildings and entrance points and modern designs inside Knick's Knacks and Lamplight Lounge.

Ex. View attachment 278085

That's a backstory for Pixar Pier I'd never thought of before; the relatively failed attempt in the mid 20th century of revitalizing the seaside amusement pier in Southern California. The local attempt was called Pacific Ocean Park, and it opened in 1958 in Santa Monica with backing from CBS TV. At the time it was considered a direct challenge to Disneyland and it's ABC TV backer. The entry to Pacific Ocean Park was spectacularly modern by 1958 standards, a real mid-century modern head turner.

8679950908_2e271447ec_b.jpg

And along the pier it had some mid-century mod pavilions and attractions sponsored by giants of American commerce and industry, just like Disneyland. Here's the Westinghouse Electric Enchanted Forest attraction, with all-electric house of tomorrow and Westinghouse atomic reactor exhibit.

pacificoceanpark_westinghouse.jpg

If the executives at Pixar weren't so busy being drunk and chasing their secretaries around the office, they could maybe come up with a backstory that ties in The Incredibles 1950's mod presence to a seaside amusement pier in Southern California.

TP2000

Off topic, but relates to the IP nonsense:

TBH whenever people say "Mickey Avenue is there because the Chinese don't want to experience a turn of the century, small-town America." I'm like False. That might be a minor part of it, but then they could have put a different style Main Street, like World Bazar in Tokyo. But they decided to go with a Toontown entrance. It's just them throwing in IPs in that park, whenever they can and using "we are making this a park for the Chinese" as an excuse.

Same thing with Toy Story Land in Shanghai. It has an entire Western Village area, with shops and rides. They could have created a Grizzly Gulch style area for that park, but they had to IP-fie it and add it to Toy Story Land.

I had always assumed that Shanghai Disneyland didn't get a Main Street USA because Shanghai Disneyland was ultimately owned and controlled by the Chinese Communist Party and the Communist Politburo in Beijing. The Communists, while they may have tried very hard to soften their image in the last 30 years, are still Communists. And Communists aren't too wild about free enterprise and personal liberty, as demonstrated daily in American culture and presented idyllically in Walt Disney's upbringing in proudly Capitalist early 20th century America.

There's no way the Chinese Communist Party is going to help tout the American Dream and traditional American ideals and values as embodied in Main Street USA. But a cartoony entrance to an amusement park? That's doable to a bunch of Communists.

GiveMeTheMusic

Disneylover152

Sounds good but looks stupid.

Not to be mean, and I'm all for people expressing their opinions, but I'm kind of sick every time someone says something or something gets announced, you say it's stupid and cheap. It is cheap and stupid, but we don't want to hear you say that about every little thing. These imagineers are working really hard with the budget they were given, and to call their work stupid is a little annoying and mean to them. Instead of us complaining about them redesigning Paradise Pier to Pixar Pier, we should be thankful that the parks are evolving, even if not in the best way. You may not agree with Pixar Pier, but their are guests who are looking forward to The Incredicoaster and their are Imagineers who are working so hard on this difficult project, and us criticizing their work isn't right.

mickEblu

Not to be mean, and I'm all for people expressing their opinions, but I'm kind of sick every time someone says something or something gets announced, you say it's stupid and cheap. It is cheap and stupid, but we don't want to hear you say that about every little thing. These imagineers are working really hard with the budget they were given, and to call their work stupid is a little annoying and mean to them. Instead of us complaining about them redesigning Paradise Pier to Pixar Pier, we should be thankful that the parks are evolving, even if not in the best way. You may not agree with Pixar Pier, but their are guests who are looking forward to The Incredicoaster and their are Imagineers who are working so hard on this difficult project, and us criticizing their work isn't right.

What if the imagineers themselves think it’s cheap and stupid?

TROR

If they feel bad because of some anonymous person's comments on their stupid work, maybe they should stop making their work stupid.

I don't care if the parks never change if it means they remain good. I'll take no change over change that sucks. Why would I want something stupid if what I already have is good? I'm not going to be thankful for garbage.

Disneylover152

If they feel bad because of some anonymous person's comments on their stupid work, maybe they should stop making their work stupid.

I don't care if the parks never change if it means they remain good. I'll take no change over change that sucks. Why would I want something stupid if what I already have is good? I'm not going to be thankful for garbage.

California Screamin is worse than The Incredicoaster will ever be...

D

Deleted member 107043

At the end of the day I doubt if anyone here, including myself, has the qualifications, talent, or skill required to design something as "stupid" as Pixar Pier, yet reading some of the angry comments in this thread one might think we all have some major personal stake in the creation and success of the Disney theme park empire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Californian Elitist

???

Excuse you. We are free to express our opinions, whatever they may be. If you’re tired of hearing negative opinions, place the folks on ignore. We should be thankful for what? Again, if you don’t like it, use the ignore feature. And who is “we?” I enjoy TROR’s posts and I hope he continues the negativity. He never said there weren’t people who would potentially enjoy this project. He expressed his opinion and you have an issue with it.

California Screamin is worse than The Incredicoaster will ever be...

If I recall correctly, you’ve never stepped foot in the DLR (correct me if I’m wrong), so how would you know this?

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

I never much cared for Screaming. My big issue is that the ride itself lacks any thrill. On a big coaster like that, I want g's and airtime. It's very tame and flat out boring for the second half.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I never much cared for Screaming. My big issue is that the ride itself lacks any thrill. On a big coaster like that, I want g's and airtime. It's very tame and flat out boring for the second half.

As much as I want to agree, I really loved the soundtrack to it. The guitar bits, although extremely hard to hear, were intense and exhilarating. Listening to it on YouTube still gives me chills.

Disneylover152

Excuse you. We are free to express our opinions, whatever they may be. If you’re tired of hearing negative opinions, place the folks on ignore. We should be thankful for what? Again, if you don’t like it, use the ignore feature. And who is “we?” I enjoy TROR’s posts and I hope he continues the negativity. He never said there weren’t people who would potentially enjoy this project. He expressed his opinion and you have an issue with it.

I only have an issue with it because its said way too much and he just says stuff like "Sounds good but looks stupid" without any reasoning behind it. I agree that the project is stupid, but if we are going to criticize everything, at least provide some reasoning or say it less. I do enjoy what other people say, including @TROR, but somethings those posts are just not necessary in the moment.

If I recall correctly, you’ve never stepped foot in the DLR (correct me if I’m wrong), so how would you know this?

I went once with choir on a field trip for literally 3 hours, and went in DCA just to ride Midway Mania and Radiator Springs Racers (and rode California Screamin instead of Midway Mania since it had a shorter wait). We all agreed that Paradise Pier was a waste of space. I'm saying that this upcoming trip is my first since I'm actually spending multiple days there and not just going into the parks in between acts...

Californian Elitist

I only have an issue with it because its said way too much and he just says stuff like "Sounds good but looks stupid" without any reasoning behind it. I agree that the project is stupid, but if we are going to criticize everything, at least provide some reasoning or say it less. I do enjoy what other people say, including @TROR, but somethings those posts are just not necessary in the moment.

I went once with choir on a field trip for literally 3 hours, and went in DCA just to ride Midway Mania and Radiator Springs Racers (and rode California Screamin instead of Midway Mania since it had a shorter wait). We all agreed that Paradise Pier was a waste of space. I'm saying that this upcoming trip is my first since I'm actually spending multiple days there and not just going into the parks in between acts...

Why do we have to say it less? If you don’t like it, fine, but to ask someone to stop expressing themselves altogether or as much is completely disrespectful.

I’ve seen a lot of things repeated here, yet I’m not complaining. Use the ignore feature.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom