News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Ismael Flores

I feel the same as you do about gutting the whole area...about Paradise Pier.
Of course I was talking about knotts. :)
I think Paradise Pier itself just needs some more love. What I don't like is the shape of that part of the park. The bay now has a purpose but they really screwed up the design from the beginning. the shape of it is just bad design and the backstage road behind the pizza place and Paradise gates really screw that whole corner.
They used such a big area for the large turn to allow trams to be used only to find out later that they were not allowed to use trams in public street crossing.

Ismael Flores

California Screamin' only looks like a wooden coaster in the circa 1998 WDI artwork or when you view it from far away; like the back parking lot of Coco's on Katella, or through the more-decorative-than-scientific telescope in my hillside den in Villa Park.

From anywhere inside DCA it looks like a metal coaster with faded blue tubes on it. And at night in DCA it looks like a metal coaster with a lot of burned out light fixtures on it.

Obviously, Michael Colglazier and every TDA exec before him couldn't give a rats butt that it looks that bad. They simply don't care.

If there is one think that really annoys me about Paradise Pier is the burnt out lights in Screamin. Ever since they built midway mania nothing was done to replace the large lights that were removed to make way for the building. Seeing large sections of the coaster dark and others with burnt out lights is very annoying.

I'm hoping that this change includes a new lighting package, refurbished and maybe covered tubes with some proper theming, an overall cleaning and paint job and a proper queue.

Last edited:

c-one

I never thought Screaming looked like a wooden coaster. It's nothing like one of those. Also, the tubes are very ugly.
The giant blue scream tubes and the loop really killed the wooden coaster vibe. Ironically, a launch and a loop are less out of place now on a wooden coaster. It was a fitting example of the overall -ness of early DCA -- they knew they wanted a seaside pier with a wooden coaster as its visual anchor, which is fair, but they knew they needed to plus it/Disney-fy it/make it some idealized, boardwalk-that-never-was thing, so the way to do that with the classic wooden coaster is to make it a modern steel coaster wearing a costume. (More clever is the wooden-coaster waterslide over at WDW Boardwalk.) Still think it's a very fun ride and an attractive backdrop to DCA, though, and I can't think of any good Incredibles ideas at all.

Also I see it was never explained why in the dumb Bugs 3D ride, some of the bugs are human-sized and some of the bugs are bug-sized. Fine. Sure.

Ismael Flores

Mist if not all of the bugs in bugs life are "actual size" when viewed as if we are shrunk down. The only ones that don't seem to fit that idea I guess would be the roaches that travel under your seat. I can't remember what other ones would seem out of place.

With that said, I don't think those roaches/bugs that travel under your seat could in theory also be actual size as if we are feeling them at a shrunken state.
Let's just say that I have spent quite a bit of time in the Amazon and have seen some of the craziest insects. First time I was there I kept feeling as if something was crawling on my arm but I could find anything. So here comes a researcher with a magnifier and shows me that I had a miniature bug crawling around that actually looked like a beatle. That thing was only a couple millimeters in length.

Now imagine hundreds of those crawling under your butt while you sit there shrunk down to the size of a grasshopper. :)

Curious Constance

Mist if not all of the bugs in bugs life are "actual size" when viewed as if we are shrunk down. The only ones that don't seem to fit that idea I guess would be the roaches that travel under your seat. I can't remember what other ones would seem out of place.

With that said, I don't think those roaches/bugs that travel under your seat could in theory also be actual size as if we are feeling them at a shrunken state.
Let's just say that I have spent quite a bit of time in the Amazon and have seen some of the craziest insects. First time I was there I kept feeling as if something was crawling on my arm but I could find anything. So here comes a researcher with a magnifier and shows me that I had a miniature bug crawling around that actually looked like a beatle. That thing was only a couple millimeters in length.

Now imagine hundreds of those crawling under your butt while you sit there shrunk down to the size of a grasshopper. :)
Did you cut you arm off?

Old Mouseketeer

Of course I was talking about knotts. :)
I think Paradise Pier itself just needs some more love. What I don't like is the shape of that part of the park. The bay now has a purpose but they really screwed up the design from the beginning. the shape of it is just bad design and the backstage road behind the pizza place and Paradise gates really screw that whole corner.
They used such a big area for the large turn to allow trams to be used only to find out later that they were not allowed to use trams in public street crossing.

I don't understand this...the Disneyland Hotel Tram crossed the street (pre-DCA) for over 40 years.

The big curve in the backstage road also relates to the hidden mickey straddling Disneyland Drive.

TP2000

I don't understand this...the Disneyland Hotel Tram crossed the street (pre-DCA) for over 40 years.

The big curve in the backstage road also relates to the hidden mickey straddling Disneyland Drive.

They haven't sent a tram across the street in over a decade.

About 12 years ago California motor vehicle laws changed and the Disneyland Trams were no longer legally allowed to travel over city streets with passengers. Getting across the street via tram at that controlled intersection just south of the Paradise Pier Hotel became illegal, and remains so to this day. Your tax dollars at work.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

So, the other day I listened to a micechat podcast purely out of curiosity, and Dusty touched on this project a lot and seemed intent that they're going to change the fun wheel to something Pixar related.

THEN he proceeded to shell out a rumor that I have never heard an ounce of anywhere...in that it would be possible for a clone of Mystic Manor to go somewhere between Screamin and Carsland (I think that's what he said). I'd take that as purely blue sky rumor at this point...but what if??

Curious Constance

So, the other day I listened to a micechat podcast purely out of curiosity, and Dusty touched on this project a lot and seemed intent that they're going to change the fun wheel to something Pixar related.

THEN he proceeded to shell out a rumor that I have never heard an ounce of anywhere...in that it would be possible for a clone of Mystic Manor to go somewhere between Screamin and Carsland (I think that's what he said). I'd take that as purely blue sky rumor at this point...but what if??

Then Pixar Pier will be worth it.

mickEblu

I would tend to agree...however, if its going to be an extension of Pixar Pier, it will probably not be true Mystic Manor, but something Pixar related...in which case, I must temper my excitement.

I'm guessing Inside Out or Coco "manor."
But what they should really do- Nightmare Before Christmas manor. The ride system would work great with the IP. It's a proven IP. And it would get NBC out of the Mansion.

Oh ya, it would a bonafide spook house to the Pier. Only problem- it's not Pixar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom