News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

SSG

Practically!
Yondu.jpg

nevol

What if they made absolutely no change to Screamin' at all?
Then it would be California Screamin'

What if they just change the name without any physical changes?
Then that would be a cheap cash grab with no substance and the entire budget would be a marketing one, which is harmful because it turns disney into "The boy who cried wolf" and when they finally open legitimate hype-worthy IP/experiences, people won't believe the hype.

What if they paint the cars similar color to the characters?
See above

What if they call each train by a specific character name?
" "

What if in Phase Two of this project they reconfigure Screamin' completely? What if they decide Screamin' needs to be torn down and rebuilt as an indoor coaster?
Then they would prove that they really have no long-term plan. If they are calling this Pixar Pier, and then later put the coaster indoors, it is part of a new reactionary plan and not a phase 2 of Pixar Pier, as it eliminates any and all efforts to maintain the Pier. Or it is part of a two phase plan to eliminate the Pier altogether and this is an inbetween, but that would be silly, as the lagoon in PP is the only topographical feature that defines that space. Fill in the water, get rid of any of the pier theming, and you have "Pixar Place." Sounds like a terrible idea that wouldn't last a week in a creative environment.

We can openly ponder and discuss these things all we want and some of us like to, hence our presence in a Disney parks forum.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What if they made absolutely no change to Screamin' at all?
Then it would be California Screamin'

What if they just change the name without any physical changes?
Then that would be a cheap cash grab with no substance and the entire budget would be a marketing one, which is harmful because it turns disney into "The boy who cried wolf" and when they finally open legitimate hype-worthy IP/experiences, people won't believe the hype.

What if they paint the cars similar color to the characters?
See above

What if they call each train by a specific character name?
" "

What if in Phase Two of this project they reconfigure Screamin' completely? What if they decide Screamin' needs to be torn down and rebuilt as an indoor coaster?
Then they would prove that they really have no long-term plan. If they are calling this Pixar Pier, and then later put the coaster indoors, it is part of a new reactionary plan and not a phase 2 of Pixar Pier, as it eliminates any and all efforts to maintain the Pier. Or it is part of a two phase plan to eliminate the Pier altogether and this is an inbetween, but that would be silly, as the lagoon in PP is the only topographical feature that defines that space. Fill in the water, get rid of any of the pier theming, and you have "Pixar Place." Sounds like a terrible idea that wouldn't last a week in a creative environment.

In the end we don't know what will happen. Can we make some guesses, intelligent or otherwise, sure. But they are just that, guesses. We can have a discussion on those guesses, but they would still be just guesses.

So you could be right, going back to your original thoughts, they could put some cut-outs of the Pixar gang littered around the track. They can add some Inside Out stuff like you said. I think that would be silly, but hey its an interesting idea.

D.Silentu

I've been away for the weekend, so imagine my surprise when I return to find all of this! It's frustrating only having a crumb to chew on, so far I'm let down. Like many of you, I'm sure, I was hoping to hear about DCA's Marvel plans. After Mission Breakout's seeming about face from the development the park had seen through 2012, I was anxious to hear what new course they were taking and curious how it would all fit together. Now that question mark has grown a few stories taller.

Curious Constance

Not sure if this has already been posted within the thread, but Stich Kingdom on Twitter posted this Survey that Disney sent out back in March. This may help some of our speculation. (Sorry if this image had already been posted)View attachment 215915

I saw this recently. I don't think it was from a survey. I think it's an add for the Pixar Fest coming in 2018. Wasn't this on the parks blog?

"Pixar Pier...This permanent addition to the park will open during a new limited-time celebration taking place throughout the Disneyland Resort in 2018 — Pixar Fest! Experience the magical worlds of Pixar in brand new ways as the entire resort comes alive with some of your favorite stories."

Pixar Fest is temporary. Pixar Pier is permanent.

Dash being control of Screamin is part of Pixar Fest, so temporary.

DisneyRoxMySox

I think the view of Screamin and the Fun Wheel from Paradise Park, even as the Zephry goes around, is one of the most picturesque areas of any Disney park. While I'll agree with most that Paradise Pier isn't perfect, along with some lame attractions. There was no doubt that it was cohesively themed and fit a California overarching theme. It was a land that you could still plug and play attractions without needing a major overhaul. It was simple, but effective. There was nothing I enjoyed more than walking around Paradise Pier at dusk enjoying a beer.

I do have some emotional connections to that area of the park, which is probably why I'm so upset over it. I'd ven go on record saying the Golden Zephyr was a favorite of mine, again because of the views it provided.

Mickey's face on the Fun Wheel is a sure goner. If they change the signage on Screamin to Pixar Pier, it's juxtaposition to Mickey's face would be a slap in everyone else's.

Now to see if I can squeeze in one more visit from the East Coast... any rumblings in when it's set to begin let me know...

Last edited:
I saw this recently. I don't think it was from a survey. I think it's an add for the Pixar Fest coming in 2018. Wasn't this on the parks blog?

"Pixar Pier...This permanent addition to the park will open during a new limited-time celebration taking place throughout the Disneyland Resort in 2018 — Pixar Fest! Experience the magical worlds of Pixar in brand new ways as the entire resort comes alive with some of your favorite stories."

Heres what was posted on their ACC.
Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 1.55.55 PM.png

nevol

Not sure if this has already been posted within the thread, but Stich Kingdom on Twitter posted this Survey that Disney sent out back in March. This may help some of our speculation. (Sorry if this image had already been posted)View attachment 215915

Could be a trial run for some of the interactive storytelling moments they want to use in star wars land. Being a year ahead of that opening, this would be a great way to fix the scripts and get a good read on how successful some of these techniques are with higher volumes of people. In that case I dig it and it makes sense in the final filler year before SWL opens. Nothing else is set to open in 2018.

mickEblu

If the Screamin overlay is temporary, they keep Mickey on the Fun wheel and BONUS- find a way to sneak in a dark ride then I think it's a win. Even with the downgrade in theming and crappy "Pixar Pier" name. But I have my doubts on the first two.

Californian Elitist

I think the view of Screamin and the Fun Wheel from Paradise Park, even as the Zephry goes around, is one of the most picturesque areas of any Disney park. While I'll agree with most that Paradise Pier isn't perfect, along with some lame attractions. There was no doubt that it was cohesively themed and fit a California overarching theme. It was a land that you could still plug and play attractions without needing a major overhaul. It was simple, but effective. There was nothing I enjoyed more than walking around Paradise Pier at dusk enjoying a beer.

I do have some emotional connections to that area of the park, which is probably why I'm so upset over it. If even go on record saying the Golden Zephyr was a favorite of mine, again because of the views it provided.

Mickey's face on the Fun Wheel is sure a goner. If they change the signage on Screamin to Pixar Pier. It's juxtaposition to Mickey's face would be a slap in everyone else's.

Now to see if I can squeeze in one more visit from the East Coast... any rumblings in when it's set to begin let me know...

Paradise Pier is my favorite, discounting Buena Vista Street. I like how open it is and the beautiful views/ambiance. I remember being a kid and eating a soft-serve ice cream cone while walking across the boardwalk with my family. I too have emotional and nostalgic feelings towards Paradise Pier.

It's in need of help, but this isn't the answer.

Ismael Flores

If they theme California Screamin with the Incredibles i really hope they go all out and not just out a new name on it and that's it.

I know 2018 is around the corner but if they were able to completely retheme Tower than a good theme on Screamin shouldn't be to difficult.

Easiest thing would be to enclose both sound tunnels and add either projections or lighting in both.

Maybe even do something that helps the theming of the queue as well.

I still don't know why they haven't considered moving the entrance of standby over to the area by the photo booth. The original design had the entrance there next to that photo both using the gates that lead guests I to the eastern helix. A nice Victorian tall structure in the round could be built in the middle.
This would help fix the siteline issue in that corner of the Pier that allows the convention center to be seen.
This new structure would have an ascending circle ramp until it reaches the height of the top of the existing stairs. At this point a new tunnel bridge would go thru the Screamin structure and meet up to the existing second level queue before descending into the load platform.

This new queue would allow for the existing queue to be demolished and a new structure built that would contain either a new small eating facility or a new themed store. This new structure would serve as a way to seclude the loading area of Screamin which would now be completely enclosed and themed.

Figments Friend

It would be very easy to change that mickey head into a ball. However, there is something very anti-disney about doing it though.

I'd personality like to see the sun motif come back, in a new form.
The giant grinning Mickey face never appealed to me.

It's nice sometimes to not be visually reminded every 20 seconds that I'm in a Disney Theme Park with such slapped on asthetics.
The sun motif 'fit' better to my eyes, but obviously the majority loves seeing Mick smiling down upon them.
It's fine...to each their own.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom