Parades and Cutbacks?

menamechris

Original Poster
After reading through a lot of the comments about the new parade at HS, and how it is obviously a result of cut-backs, would it actually be a bad idea for Disney to discontinue parades in HS and AK? They would save hundreds of thousands of dollars a year (at least) by not having them, and at least part of that money could be put into making the parades at MK fantastic. I have never heard anyone really rave about the parades at the other parks - only things like "this is worse than the last one..." which makes me wonder if Disney should just quit spending the money on these sub-par parades and put the money towards something(s) that will better enhance the guest experience.

Tom

Beta Return
After reading through a lot of the comments about the new parade at HS, and how it is obviously a result of cut-backs, would it actually be a bad idea for Disney to discontinue parades in HS and AK? They would save hundreds of thousands of dollars a year (at least) by not having them, and at least part of that money could be put into making the parades at MK fantastic. I have never heard anyone really rave about the parades at the other parks - only things like "this is worse than the last one..." which makes me wonder if Disney should just quit spending the money on these sub-par parades and put the money towards something(s) that will better enhance the guest experience.

I think they have the parades in the "C" and "D" parks for two reasons.

First, to add one more reason for kids to find pleasure in the parks, after having been spoiled by the MK.

And second, to help fill the day, since neither DHS nor AK are full-day parks. People without Park Hopping abilities get upset when they've experienced everything those parks have to offer by mid-afternoon (rightfully so).

I think that by cheapening the parade, they've come as close to deleting it as they can, without actually deleting it.

mm52200

The last parade at DHS was really good!!! It was better than anything they've ever had. So its not a problem neccessarily aren't good it's just well they get rid of the good ones...because they cost a lot of money...

menamechris

Original Poster
And second, to help fill the day, since neither DHS nor AK are full-day parks. People without Park Hopping abilities get upset when they've experienced everything those parks have to offer by mid-afternoon (rightfully so).

I think that by cheapening the parade, they've come as close to deleting it as they can, without actually deleting it.

That actually makes a lot of sense. So if they stopped do it, they could put all that money into worthwhile attractions at both HS and AK. But I guess guests would suffer for awhile, but it would be worth it!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Like SGE, the parades aren't going anywhere. They're popular enough, and a good sight cheaper than putting tens of millions into a new attraction or ride.

ToTBellHop

Jammin' Jungle Parade actually gets really good guest ratings and it is vital for AK. While the other parks have nighttime shows to close out the night, AK does not. The parade needs to stay because it promotes people staying in the park, eating lunch (and snacks), and shopping in the park's many shops (and both food and shopping are located along the parade route at regular intervals). I think this is why parade time is later at AK than the other parks--to keep people in the park longer. People will already stay in the other 3 parks for the fireworks.

SeaBase86

1. AK and DHS are not half day parks

2. To the op if you asked me this question while BPB was still running I would say no. But the abomination that is the Play Parade can go.

3 AK's parade is fine.

Testtrack321

You'd be amazed how many people will "just say till the parade." That's why I feel a parade is vital for AK.

DHS seems to just have gotten the people behind Stitch's Super Sonic Celebration to direct this parade....

SeaBase86

Isn't it ironic that the park based on entertainment has some of the worse entertainment on property?

DHS needs a overhaul of it's entire upper management.

David S.

1. AK and DHS are not half day parks

I COMPLETELY AGREE with you!

This isn't meant to be an "argument" with anyone in particular who considers them half-day parks; it is just my take on the half-day vs. full-day issue:

I consider them FULL DAY parks. It is IMPOSSIBLE to finish both of those parks in a half-day, unless, of course, you skip half of the attractions!

As it is, when AK does their short, 9-5 hours, I either have to skip some of the attractions or else I feel too rushed on the animal trails, which I enjoy enough to EASILY spend 30-60 minutes on EACH one.

At the Studios, the only days I've ever finished ALL 18 attractions on a full day is when they do the 9 AM - 10 PM hours.

And I'm the type that, if I have the whole day free, is at the parks bright and early, BEFORE Rope Drop!

Realistically, it is just impossible to do EVERYTHING that these parks have to offer in a half-day. Even if the parks are empty and you don't need FPs for ANYTHING, the sheer runtime of all the attractions, if you add up their runtime and allow for walking between each one, would add up to more than half a day!

And then when you take into account eating lunch in the park and any snacks...

And also in a park like the Studios where many of the attractions are shows that are not continuous loaders (Beauty and the Beast, Playhouse Disney, LMA, Indy, etc). They have to be seen at specific times, which often requires backtracking and sometimes leaves you with 15-20 minutes of "dead time", if you have that much time to kill before one of the shows starts, as none of the attractions there can really be experienced in that short a window, without risking missing the beginning of your show.

If anyone can TRULY complete ALL of the following in a "half-day", they should contact Guinness for inclusion in the book of World Records!:

The Great Movie Ride
Rock and Roller Coaster
Tower Of Terror
Star Tours
Muppet Vision
Voyage Of The Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Playhouse Disney: Live
Magic Of Disney Animation (Main show, exhibits, and drawing class)
Walt Disney: One Man's Dream (WITHOUT Half-arseing the exhibit area)
Toy Story Midway Mania
Narnia
Indy Show
Lights Motors Action
Sounds Dangerous
Backlot Tour/Postride Exhibit
HISTK Movie Set Adventure
American Idol

Anyone care to post a "Touring Plan" showing how it is possible to have ALL of this done before the start of the "3 O' Clock Parade"? :) I find it a challenge to fit all this into a FULL day, (going at a reasonable but not an "insanely commando" pace), unless they are doing a 10 PM close! And my list omitted arguably the best attraction in the park, Fantasmic!, as it is a nightime show unavailable in the first half of the day. And I also did not include all the shows that are not always listed as "attractions", such as the Jedi Academy, Mulch Sweat and Shears, High School Musical, etc)

Same thing with AK. Can anyone TRULY say they can do ALL of this before 3 PM, WITHOUT half-arseing the self-guided animal trails?

Oasis Exhibits/Trails
Tree Of Life carvings and Trails
It's Tough To Be A Bug
Festival Of the Lion King
Killamanjaro Safari
Pangani Forest Trail
Wildlife Express Train
Habitat Habit Trail
Conservation Station exhibits/presentations
Affection Section
Flights Of Wonder
Maharajah Jungle Trek
Kali River Rapids
Expedition Everest
Finding Nemo: The Musical
Dinosaur
Triceratops Spin
Primeval Whirl
Cretaceous Trail/Sue
The Boneyard

3 AK's parade is fine.

Again, COMPLETE agreement! And not only is it fine, but for my taste it's the best day parade on property, and has a nice Christmas overlay as well! :)

StageFrenzy

I COMPLETELY AGREE with you!

This isn't meant to be an "argument" with anyone in particular who considers them half-day parks; it is just my take on the half-day vs. full-day issue:

I consider them FULL DAY parks. It is IMPOSSIBLE to finish both of those parks in a half-day, unless, of course, you skip half of the attractions!

As it is, when AK does their short, 9-5 hours, I either have to skip some of the attractions or else I feel too rushed on the animal trails, which I enjoy enough to EASILY spend 30-60 minutes on EACH one.

At the Studios, the only days I've ever finished ALL 18 attractions on a full day is when they do the 9 AM - 10 PM hours.

And I'm the type that, if I have the whole day free, is at the parks bright and early, BEFORE Rope Drop!

Realistically, it is just impossible to do EVERYTHING that these parks have to offer in a half-day. Even if the parks are empty and you don't need FPs for ANYTHING, the sheer runtime of all the attractions, if you add up their runtime and allow for walking between each one, would add up to more than half a day!

And then when you take into account eating lunch in the park and any snacks...

And also in a park like the Studios where many of the attractions are shows that are not continuous loaders (Beauty and the Beast, Playhouse Disney, LMA, Indy, etc). They have to be seen at specific times, which often requires backtracking and sometimes leaves you with 15-20 minutes of "dead time", if you have that much time to kill before one of the shows starts, as none of the attractions there can really be experienced in that short a window, without risking missing the beginning of your show.

If anyone can TRULY complete ALL of the following in a "half-day", they should contact Guinness for inclusion in the book of World Records!:

The Great Movie Ride
Rock and Roller Coaster
Tower Of Terror
Star Tours
Muppet Vision
Voyage Of The Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Playhouse Disney: Live
Magic Of Disney Animation (Main show, exhibits, and drawing class)
Walt Disney: One Man's Dream (WITHOUT Half-arseing the exhibit area)
Toy Story Midway Mania
Narnia
Indy Show
Lights Motors Action
Sounds Dangerous
Backlot Tour/Postride Exhibit
HISTK Movie Set Adventure
American Idol

Anyone care to post a "Touring Plan" showing how it is possible to have ALL of this done before the start of the "3 O' Clock Parade"? :) I find it a challenge to fit all this into a FULL day, (going at a reasonable but not an "insanely commando" pace), unless they are doing a 10 PM close! And my list omitted arguably the best attraction in the park, Fantasmic!, as it is a nightime show unavailable in the first half of the day. And I also did not include all the shows that are not always listed as "attractions", such as the Jedi Academy, Mulch Sweat and Shears, High School Musical, etc)

Same thing with AK. Can anyone TRULY say they can do ALL of this before 3 PM, WITHOUT half-arseing the self-guided animal trails?

Oasis Exhibits/Trails
Tree Of Life carvings and Trails
It's Tough To Be A Bug
Festival Of the Lion King
Killamanjaro Safari
Pangani Forest Trail
Wildlife Express Train
Habitat Habit Trail
Conservation Station exhibits/presentations
Affection Section
Flights Of Wonder
Maharajah Jungle Trek
Kali River Rapids
Expedition Everest
Finding Nemo: The Musical
Dinosaur
Triceratops Spin
Primeval Whirl
Cretaceous Trail/Sue
The Boneyard

Again, COMPLETE agreement! And not only is it fine, but for my taste it's the best day parade on property, and has a nice Christmas overlay as well! :)

Some of those "Attractions" are "Repellents" and you could not pay me to sit through.

SeaBase86

What are they, then? 1/3rd day parks? I'd love to see how much the attendance would drop at DHS and DAK if it wasn't for park hopper tickets.
They are full day parks. If there is any half day park on property it would be Epcot. There are really 7 real attractions and the rest is walking around a showcase. Where you "take in the sights." And that's what makes DHS and AK full day parks. Do the rides and the shows and take in the sights. You got yourself a full day. People rush through these parks for an odd reason. Never understood that, but people will take their time through Epcot :rolleyes:.

I would say the only half day park to me is Hollywood Studios. I used to love MGM Studios but now find we will probably only do half a day at Hollywood Studios. I wouldn't consider Animal Kingdom a half day park though. It takes long enough to round, but I suppose it's also because I don't really go to Animal Kingdom that often so spend more time going round it.

DisneyMusician2

They are full day parks. If there is any half day park on property it would be Epcot. There are really 7 real attractions and the rest is walking around a showcase. Where you "take in the sights." And that's what makes DHS and AK full day parks. Do the rides and the shows and take in the sights. You got yourself a full day. People rush through these parks for an odd reason. Never understood that, but people will take their time through Epcot :rolleyes:.

Epcot is more like a 2-day park if you see everything and do it right. It is packed with stuff and the entertainment there is great, especially in the showcase.

I agree with AK, though. People skip the trails and the conservation station and call it a half day park. There is a great deal to be seen an even learned at AK. People are always complaining about the edutainment value, and then ignore the opportunity to experience it when it is available to them. I am usually done there by dinner if I get there early.

David S.

Some of those "Attractions" are "Repellents" and you could not pay me to sit through.

We'll have to agree to disagree, then. Everything on those lists, with the exception of American Idol, I ride/see regularly at those parks, although as I said, some may have to be skipped due to time constraints when the parks have shorter hours during non-peak seasons. Which is why I prefer peak season days, as I routinely get to experience more per day due to the longer hours, have more time for the self-guided attractions, and FP alleviates any longer waits that I would have had due to more people being in the parks.

If there is any half day park on property it would be Epcot. There are really 7 real attractions and the rest is walking around a showcase. Where you "take in the sights."

I have to disagree with you about Epcot. Not only do I consider it a full-day park, but it takes me longer than a full day to experience it the way I like to, which is to savor The Seas by viewing every single animal exhibit in the "postride" area, and watching the dolphin and fish feed presentations.

In World Showcase, in addition to doing the 7 main attractions (2 boat rides, 4 movies, and American Adventure), I like to ride the Friendship Boats that cross the lagoon; and to view most of the live performers, view all of the Art Galleries, and take time to enjoy the architecture, music loops, and gardens of each nation, and browse through their shops.

If I try to do a "definitive" single-day Epcot visit (such as if I only have one day to say "goodbye" to it right before leaving for the season) I find myself having to skip a lot of this stuff. Although I will say if someone only wanted to do "attractions only", then Epcot could be done in a day, but IMO not a half-day.

Epcot is more like a 2-day park if you see everything and do it right. It is packed with stuff and the entertainment there is great, especially in the showcase.

I COMPLETELY agree!

For the thorough, comprehensive way I like to do Epcot, I have two different main "touring plans" I use that have very little overlap and basically treat the park like two complete parks.

For my "Future World touring plan", I do every single pavilion in Future World to the fullest - not just the rides and movies considered "attractions", but also exploring the self-guided postshow exhibits in the various pavilions, Innoventions, and ESPECIALLY the Seas, where I could EASILY spend 2-3 hours just in that one pavilion alone! I especially like the manatee area and the viewing area overlooking the large tank, and watching the dolphin and fish feed presentations that take place there. I like being able to savor the self-guided exhibits in The Seas to the fullest, without feeling like I have to rush through them in order to do ALL of World Showcase on the same day as Future World. In my Future World touring plan, I go at a comfortable pace, and when I am done in Future World, I use the remaining time to enjoy my favorites in World Showcase (such as the Mexico and Norway boat rides) before viewing Illuminations.

For my "World Showcase touring plan", I start with Future World favorites (such as Figment and Nemo) for the first two hours, because WS usually does not open until 11 AM.

Then, from 11-9, I methodically savor each country, not just doing all of the attractions and riding the Friendship Boats that cross the Lagoon (strangely not listed as "attractions" even though they are rides), but also watching most of the live World Showcase performers on the schedule that day (there are a few I don't care for, but I really enjoy MOST of them - including ALL of the musical-based ones!); looking at all the Art Galleries; and enjoying the architecture, gardens, and music loops of each nation. When doing World Showcase this way, I really "get" the section more than I did as a kid, and feel like I've gotten a nice taste of the nations and cultures.

This thorough World Showcase tour alone easily takes up a full day, especially since you can't start your "trip around the world" until 11 AM! So I end up easily finding enough to do in WS from 11-9, and then it's time for Illuminations.

Really, the two sections of Epcot are so different that in a way, I think of them as two different parks. And ironically, I think World Showcase would have more countries and attractions, and in Future World, I think Wonders Of Life and Horizons would still be open (with Mission:Space built as a separate pavilion), if the two sections were truly two separate "gates". Although I do agree with the Imagineers that viewing the two sections as components of the same park, gives the park a deeper, more resonating theme.

PS. Treating Epcot like a two day park especially comes in handy during the Flower and Garden festival, where there are even more things to see and enjoy in the park - such as topiaries, the butterfly exhibit, and concerts at American Gardens Theatre by internationally-known recording artists. For my taste, trying to do ALL of Epcot in a day during the F&G Festival, PLUS doing all the extra, festival-specific stuff, would be absolute madness!

Korfar

I have never seen either the AK or DHS parade. They are half day parks for us so we usually do them both in the same day. If we happen to be there during the parade we are on rides since the lines are shorter. I am sure they are fine parades but we just have no interest in them. We stopped watching the day time parage at MK a few years back too. We only watch Spectro or MSLE now. Parade time is a good time to get on rides.

David S.

I agree. It's a large park, and for "animal lovers" like me who enjoy savoring spending time with, and viewing the actual animals, that takes quite a bit of time as well. AK is without doubt at least a full-day experience for my taste!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom