Pandora thoughts

captainkidd

Original Poster
Just a quick review. I think I'm in the minority, but I wasn't impressed. I didn't find either attraction all that good. FoP is clever, but I simply couldn't get into it as I don't care at all for the story. I'd take the Simpson's, Soarin, or Minions any day. River Journey is relaxing but sooooo boring. I can't understand anyone enjoying that ride unless they're a big fan of the movie. The land itself looked neat at night, but didn't do anything for me during the day. That's all.

JusticeDisney

IMO, FoP is the best ride at all four Disney parks and both Universal parks. I absolutely loved it. As for Navi River, while I agree that it is anything but a thrill ride, I think it's the best of its kind (and by that I mean when you compare it to similar rides such as PotC, IaSW, FEA, etc.). It offers so many beautiful things to look at and take in that it's almost overwhelming (in a good way).

With that said, and taking into account the sheer beauty of the place (especially at night), I think Disney hit a freaking home run with Pandora.

Oh, and for the record, I couldn't care less about the movie Avatar or any of its upcoming sequels.

Yert3

The thought of Pandora going into AK made me sick to my stomach. Now that I've actually experienced it, it's one of my favorite things at all of WDW. It's that good IMO. The immersion level is 100% and FoP is one of the most brilliant attractions I've ever been on.

Yert3

As for Na'vi River Journey, I didn't like it at first. But the more I go on it, I find myself enjoying it more and more each time. I know I'm not the only one who can't get that song out of my head.

captainkidd

Original Poster
I'm definitely in the minority. I know that. It just didn't speak to me. FoP felt like a video game to me. I can appreciate the effort Disney put in. I just can't see this land holding its appeal for years. It's an immersive land. Not as much as Diagon Alley, but in the same way. I'm not a Harry Potter fan either, but I find myself much more impressed with it. I was trying not to compare the two, but it was hard not to.

drizgirl

As for Na'vi River Journey, I didn't like it at first. But the more I go on it, I find myself enjoying it more and more each time. I know I'm not the only one who can't get that song out of my head.
Unfortunately most guests won't get lots of trips through on it.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I'm half and half. Before going a couple weeks ago I watched the movie for the first time. I didn't love it but I thought it was interesting and intrigued me about the land of Pandora. Anyway, I thought the land was really well done. I love the detail and the theming of it, it is pretty day and night. The River Journey was a nice ride and I was impressed with the detail but glad I didn't have to stand in the long line.

As for Flights of Passage, I enjoyed it and I think it was outstanding in terms of technology and it is very immersive. But I was not "in love" with it. Before going I had listened to 2 different podcasts about peoples impressions of the land and on both they just gushed and gushed about how moving and and emotional FOP was. At least one of them said it brought them to tears because they couldn't believe they were "flying". I was not moved to tears or emotional. I had a very pleasant experience and I could let myself imagine I was "flying". During all 3 rides I was able to have I kept thinking that the glasses were going to fall off my face as they were so big, and there was a strange scent in the room (I'm sensitive to smells) that on my last ride (I rode 2 times in less than 15 minutes due to a band swap) that made me want to gag a little. I will say that I left my first ride during EMH happy I rode it but I was ecstatic to go over to Everest immediately after and ride 3 times in a row with no wait and now that ride is thrilling!

We also enjoyed Satuli Canteen and thought the bowl meal was a good option and the tastiest option.

So in the end I enjoyed what I experienced in Pandora and it will be nice to go back. Is it my favorite or is FOP my favorite ride? Nope. But seeing what Disney has done with the Avatar movie makes me super excited for what they will do for Star Wars. I mean lets face it Avatar might have had a big box office, but Star Wars has been big for 40 years and people care so much about Star Wars that Disney just has to make it good.

correcaminos

I hated the movie - I mean so bad I nearly fell asleep and only one other movie has ever done that to me. However, I disagree on the land. It was very well done, quite beautiful to look at and the rides were well done. Navi River is not meant to be super duper exciting. It's peaceful and quite eye catching. We rode with one who never saw the movie and they enjoyed it.

The new Soarin' is awful, so I cannot see how FoP would be worse than that. I'm not a fan of most 3D rides but this one did better than most. That said I felt the original movie was like a well done cartoon so my expectations of what I see in a ride like that is going to be for a cartoon look. It was well done though in every other way.

But we're all allowed our own opinions. I will say I was 100% disappointed in Harry Potter lands at Universal so I went in to this one with zero expectations. I think sometimes we have too high and the new areas just can never live up to it.

luvinthemajik

IMO, FoP is the best ride at all four Disney parks and both Universal parks. I absolutely loved it. As for Navi River, while I agree that it is anything but a thrill ride, I think it's the best of its kind (and by that I mean when you compare it to similar rides such as PotC, IaSW, FEA, etc.). It offers so many beautiful things to look at and take in that it's almost overwhelming (in a good way).

With that said, and taking into account the sheer beauty of the place (especially at night), I think Disney hit a freaking home run with Pandora.

Oh, and for the record, I couldn't care less about the movie Avatar or any of its upcoming sequels.
Sorry, @captainkidd , IMO, I'm with @JusticeDisney , Disney did indeed " hit it out of the park." We were there mid June, I've never seen the movie, couldn't have cared less. Skeptical about the rides and the land itself, as a group we all had a little of the old Doom and Gloom feelings about Disney in general in recent times but, wait for it...WOW. Our adult DS, who was with me& DH said it best, "I was smiling the whole time on the ride and getting off I continued too do so as we all kept talking about it and the experience. " Couldn't remember the last time any of us were impressed with anything WDW has done, the land itself can be experienced and enjoyed in different ways at night and during the day . Everyone's certainly entitled to opinion, it would be a very dull world if we all agreed on everything, no room to grow, but,for my money, a park I once stayed away from will now be revisited happily by me and my family. Have a pixie dust day!!

Goofyernmost

I've only seen a few minutes of the movie. Put me right to sleep, but, I could see in that brief time that the scenery was fantastic and a visual treat. I am looking forward to FOP and the River ride strictly for the visual stimuli. I don't believe that ones pulse rate has to rise before something can be enjoyed.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
Can anyone confirm if Pandora was originally set to open to coincide with the next Avatar movie? If the sequel was out when Pandora opened, I believe it would be even more popular. It's possible many people had not seen Avatar since it was in theatres or released to home video (then sits on the movie shelf collecting dust)

I enjoyed seeing Pandora at the AP preview, and make a point to see it each time I go back to DAK. I'm hopeful they increase the nighttime effects and lighting!

correcaminos

Can anyone confirm if Pandora was originally set to open to coincide with the next Avatar movie? If the sequel was out when Pandora opened, I believe it would be even more popular. It's possible many people had not seen Avatar since it was in theatres or released to home video (then sits on the movie shelf collecting dust)

I enjoyed seeing Pandora at the AP preview, and make a point to see it each time I go back to DAK. I'm hopeful they increase the nighttime effects and lighting!
An article from last month had 2014 original release date
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/avatar-2-delayed-sequels-james-cameron-1202006303/

Then it was supposed to be December of 2017
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/av...now-about-james-camerons-long-awaited-sequel/

so yep, supposed to be close to the opening date. Per that first article, three times delayed now. I'm a bit skeptical myself, but did enjoy Pandora.

correcaminos

Funny how people see things differently. Most reviews for the new Soarin' were lukewarm at best, and I thought it was fantastic. We were on the top row today, and it was amazing.
I think it depends on where you are seated in the theater. In the center it is perfectly fine. If you are on the edges it is horrible. Our first time riding the new one we were on the edge and it was just awful with the distortions. In the center we don't like it as much as the old one but it's not really bad or anything.

JusticeDisney

I think it depends on where you are seated in the theater. In the center it is perfectly fine. If you are on the edges it is horrible. Our first time riding the new one we were on the edge and it was just awful with the distortions. In the center we don't like it as much as the old one but it's not really bad or anything.
I disagreed with you on this in the past, but when I was just in WDW, I rode Soarin twice. Once in the center and once on the side. And I have to say this, you are spot on. You were right the whole time and I was wrong. As much as I love Soarin, the distortions were quite bad from the side. So, I apologize for my past disagreement with you on this topic.

correcaminos

I disagreed with you on this in the past, but when I was just in WDW, I rode Soarin twice. Once in the center and once on the side. And I have to say this, you are spot on. You were right the whole time and I was wrong. As much as I love Soarin, the distortions were quite bad from the side. So, I apologize for my past disagreement with you on this topic.
Oh no worries. I figure those who hadn't had the lovely experience of viewing on the edges (loaded with sarcasm there) they really just couldn't understand how bad it was. Our last trip we viewed twice from the center (managed FP for it after our first 3 so why not?) and it was much better. While we still prefer the original it's not bad. The sides? It's become a family joke for us ;)

Raineman

Pandora, while I have not yet visited (3 1/2 months to go), seems to point in the direction that Disney may be headed when it comes to new lands at their US theme parks (which Star Wars Land & Toy Story Land may or may not confirm in the future): light on the actual attractions, but heavy on theming and overall sensory experience. Judging from comments on here, people that want lots of things to do and ride are disappointed with Pandora (park commandos would be a big part of this group), but people who love being placed in an immersive environment enjoy Pandora alot. I have to admit, I can kind of see the merits of both viewpoints, TBH.

Disneyhead'71

I just think there is simply a lack of things to do in the land. There is a lot of detail but that just reinforces immersion, it doesn't provide "entertainment".

It needs more Streetmosphere to interact with guests. Something like this guy.
jurassic-park-agent-baby-triceratops-caretaker-carrying-infant-38650265.jpg

Seriously, a few animals in this Animal Kingdom land wouldn't hurt.

Bacon

Just a quick review. I think I'm in the minority, but I wasn't impressed. I didn't find either attraction all that good. FoP is clever, but I simply couldn't get into it as I don't care at all for the story. I'd take the Simpson's, Soarin, or Minions any day. River Journey is relaxing but sooooo boring. I can't understand anyone enjoying that ride unless they're a big fan of the movie. The land itself looked neat at night, but didn't do anything for me during the day. That's all.
For someone who thinks that TTG is good I don't think you appreciate "detail" and "good attractions" probably likes small world and the changes coming to pirates

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom