Pandora Flight of Passage - Can Big People Fit on the Ride?

Should Disney be taking larger body types into consideration on the newer rides?

• Yes

Votes: 90 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 99 52.4%

• Total voters

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think the question was mis-phrased. I think the poll response would skew in the other direction if the question hadn't been interpreted as "really obese people", even though it's also very muscular and/or tall but otherwise fit men that fit under "bigger". You will still get people who are just scummy and think that a kid that can't walk doesn't deserve some consideration, but you would be getting a lot less knee jerk "nope don't change anything for the fatties!" votes, when the more appropriate question is:

Should Disney be taking various physical disabilities and differing body types into consideration on the newer rides?
I think they do and do it better than probably than anyone else. The problem is where do you draw the line? Not every attraction can be UoE. You will begin to exclude people the second you start adding anything that requires a restraint system or can not accommodate a wheelchair. Very few if any attractions can accommodate 100% of the population.

The Mom

Premium Member
That is EXACTLY my point. Of course when I write that the Disney loyalists on this board attack me and other people larger than your average size. And 1 out of 5 (that is 20% of ALL GUESTS) are being turned away from this ride. That is unacceptable.

This is a trend with Disney's most recent rides in Walt Disney World. Seven Dwarves Mine Train coaster is so constrictive that it is painful to ride and cut off my circulation in my legs. I am a 6'4" former division I football player, and I have heard the same complaints from other friends of mine who are in the NFL. They were even unable to ride the rides with their children.

Disney keeps tailoring the rides for smaller and smaller people. Why? To save money, to make the cars smaller, to make the ride smaller, to take up less real estate. They even make clothing in sizes smaller and it is more and more difficult to find larger clothes.
But the smaller people the "averaged" sized as they consider themselves LOVE to buy the XXL and XXXL clothes that some of us NEED to wear. But they buy it because they like baggy clothes, or "clothes you can sleep in". So while these people mock the bigger people and disregard our height, weight, build as an aberration......they sure do love to buy the clothing that is made for us specifically.

I am also seeing more and more that these boards are like high school. A big clique of people who shout down anything that goes against or points out a flaw about Disney. Sadly the moderators do the same in many ways just often more covertly.

It's very sad to think that people still act like this, but I guess this puts meaning into their loves somehow. Sad.

It is apparent from your post history that you have joined this forum to do nothing but make negative remarks about anything WDW does. You do not add anything to any discussion, except to insult t anyone who disagrees with your POV. How sad that you need to do that to "put meaning in your life."

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I am also seeing more and more that these boards are like high school. A big clique of people who shout down anything that goes against or points out a flaw about Disney. Sadly the moderators do the same in many ways just often more covertly.

It's very sad to think that people still act like this, but I guess this puts meaning into their loves somehow. Sad.
So maybe these forums aren't the right fit for you.

Rodan75

That is EXACTLY my point. Of course when I write that the Disney loyalists on this board attack me and other people larger than your average size. And 1 out of 5 (that is 20% of ALL GUESTS) are being turned away from this ride. That is unacceptable.

This is a trend with Disney's most recent rides in Walt Disney World. Seven Dwarves Mine Train coaster is so constrictive that it is painful to ride and cut off my circulation in my legs. I am a 6'4" former division I football player, and I have heard the same complaints from other friends of mine who are in the NFL. They were even unable to ride the rides with their children.

Disney keeps tailoring the rides for smaller and smaller people. Why? To save money, to make the cars smaller, to make the ride smaller, to take up less real estate. They even make clothing in sizes smaller and it is more and more difficult to find larger clothes.
But the smaller people the "averaged" sized as they consider themselves LOVE to buy the XXL and XXXL clothes that some of us NEED to wear. But they buy it because they like baggy clothes, or "clothes you can sleep in". So while these people mock the bigger people and disregard our height, weight, build as an aberration......they sure do love to buy the clothing that is made for us specifically.

Literally 95%+ of folks will fit. The only body type that is really impacted here is tall and thick, which apparently is a disproportionate % of lifestylers.

AEfx

I think they do and do it better than probably than anyone else. The problem is where do you draw the line? Not every attraction can be UoE. You will begin to exclude people the second you start adding anything that requires a restraint system or can not accommodate a wheelchair. Very few if any attractions can accommodate 100% of the population.

It's a common misconception that everyone thinks that anyone is asking for that level of accessibility on all rides. No one is saying they need to let people actually bring a wheelchair on a roller coaster. And while I agree that in the past they have done it "better than anyone else" the trend is reversing, and that is troubling. Disney is slipping in this regard.

What they can do, to begin with is make TRANSFERING from a wheelchair more accessible. Some people simply cannot walk but have no problem sitting up, or even riding a motorcycle - but the way the loading is designed, they make it more difficult than it needs to be.

This was designed from the ground up. It's unacceptable in this day and age for them to not even have designed a box to project the movie in for people who cannot ride - at least even the subs at Disneyland let you do that.

That would be the bare minimum of acceptable, though. In this case, these are purpose-built simulators. Disney could have very easily designed an alternate seating style in one bay. They have bikes on ET as the main ride vehicle, but they also have gondolas for those that cannot use them. It in no way would compromise the experience that others get for them to add an alternate seating arrangement so most everyone could enjoy the ride.

There is no excuse for a brand-new E-ticket to not have kept these things in mind. It's also again ironic that, like Peter Pan, a ride that purports to let people "fly" is only accessible to fully able bodied people. At least Peter Pan has the excuse of being built 45 years ago - FoP does not enjoy that excuse.

Gelatoni

I digging up an old thread but have they made any adjustments to the seats yet?

Also i hope they have a plan for the tron coaster

habuma

I can't say that they've made adjustments or not, but I can share my experience with Flight of Passage.

First, the numbers: I'm roughly 5'6" and was approximately 290lbs (down from 334 earlier this year) at the time I rode FoP. Most of my weight is in my mid-section.

Before boarding FoP, I tried the test seat. The CM helping there suggested that there was no way that the seat would reach the locking position due to the leg restraints. Now...I don't have skinny legs, but they are *far* from my largest feature. In fact, I'd reckon that my legs (especially the calf section) are rather average in size. And yet, the reason that the test seat didn't work for me was not for my mid-section, but for my legs.

Nevertheless, I was stubborn about it and decided to try the ride anyway. Upon arriving at the *actual* ride seats, I shoved every bit of myself as forward as I could. When the back and leg constraints came up, they locked in place just fine. In fact, once they were in the locked position, I felt as if I even had some wiggle room and could relax a bit. I was in no way uncomfortable.

The ride is AMAZING. I'm very glad I ignored the results of the test seat and tried to ride anyway. It was well worth it and I'd have regretted not riding it.

As has been said elsewhere in this thread, different bodies have different shapes. Just because I had no trouble, doesn't mean that others won't. I'm just suggesting that you should ignore the test seat and take a chance with the actual ride seat, especially if you have a FP+ (in which case, the worst that can happen is you waste a little time and endure a little embarrassment from people you won't likely ever see again).

fauzha7

I am 6' and 330lbs with thicker legs. I tested the ride vehicle outside and was told I was on the line and may not fit. I went in and the cast member just said she was going to lightly push on my back. Once licked in, I had room to relax. My feet and legs were not pinned in. It clicked in so I was all set. On 7 Dwarfs, I can ride but my knees are smashed in no room to wiggle nut not uncomfortable to ride. I find the boat rides more uncomfortable because my knees press I to the back of the seat in front of me...even sitting with knees apart. The cast member at the Flight of Passage test seat told me that if I didn't fit, they would quietly move me to a waiting area and compensate me for "wasting " my fastpass. She wouldn't be specific about it. Luckily, it was a non-issue.

Last edited:

Rider

I am 6' and 330lbs with thicker legs. I tested the ride vehicle outside and was told I was on the line and may not fit. I went in and the cast member just said she was going to lightly push on my back. Once licked in, I had room to relax. My feet and legs were not pinned in. It clicked in so I was all set. On 7 Dwarfs, I can ride but my knees are smashed in no room to wiggle nut not uncomfortable to ride. I find the boat rides more uncomfortable because my knees press I to the back of the seat in front of me...even sitting with knees apart. The cast member at the Flight of Passage test seat told me that if I didn't fit, they would quietly move me to a waiting area and compensate me for "wasting " my fastpass. She wouldn't be specific about it. Luckily, it was a non-issue.
The give you a River Journey pass if you can't ride FoP.

jerzygirl21

I am 5'7" 300 lbs most of weight in my waist and I fit no problem. The test seat showed I was just on the line but decided to try anyway. They didn't even have to push it closed. The back bar did not release however to get off so cast member had to come over. not sure if that was just a glitch or what.

TheDuke

I am fairly tall and it wasn't a problem in that regard. I've done rides at other parks with the same type restraint that were immensely uncomfortable because it was made for people of average height and really digs into your lower back if you're tall, but this one was fine.

I could see an obese person with a big belly having trouble fitting, though. But it's hard to say. You were kept securely on the seat but the fit isn't nearly as tight as on other restraints of that type so it was much more comfortable.

lordsigma

This appears to be the most restrictive ride at WDW as far as body size at least as far as rides that adults would typically want to ride. I was able to ride seven dwarfs and the slinky dog dash but it was a no go on FoP. I would strongly encourage anyone concerned to try the test seat before getting in line. I did not and was stung on the actual ride and had to take the walk of shame.

jkl2000

I know the seats on FoP have limits based on a combination of height and size, but is there some specific weight limit? Someone posted something on a different thread that made it sound like there was a weight limit, but I thought it was just whether or not the restraints will accommodate you and your legs will fit.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I know the seats on FoP have limits based on a combination of height and size, but is there some specific weight limit? Someone posted something on a different thread that made it sound like there was a weight limit, but I thought it was just whether or not the restraints will accommodate you and your legs will fit.
While I am sure there is some engineering spec that states a maximum occupant weight, it does not appear to be used as a factor on the attraction. For riding the FoP attraction it is much like a cat and a box. "I fits, I sits".

e3f.jpg

itsmagical

The more I read about the limitations, the clearer it becomes that there is no rhyme or reason to who fits and who doesn't. It appears completely random.

JohnD

Embarrassing myself here: But it became readily apparent I needed to lose weight for two reasons:
1. After I got on the seat and the panel came up against my back, I thought, "Not so bad" until a CM came in and pushed it two more notches, squeezing the heck out of me.
2. The ride is over and the panel doesn't release! I yelled for a CM for help to no avail while guests are walking by exiting from their ride. Wonderful. Apparently, the more I pushed, a "safety feature" caused it to lock into place more. I leaned forward in exasperation and it opened. Sigh. . .

disney4life2008

Embarrassing myself here: But it became readily apparent I needed to lose weight for two reasons:
1. After I got on the seat and the panel came up against my back, I thought, "Not so bad" until a CM came in and pushed it two more notches, squeezing the heck out of me.
2. The ride is over and the panel doesn't release! I yelled for a CM for help to no avail while guests are walking by exiting from their ride. Wonderful. Apparently, the more I pushed, a "safety feature" caused it to lock into place more. I leaned forward in exasperation and it opened. Sigh. . .

That happened to me on soarin so now I don't ride anymore. For me I couldn't get it unlocked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom