Our wonderful trip 5/7 - 5/12

Wednesday, May 7:

Our flight didn't leave out of Raleigh until 2:20, so DH actually went into work that morning for a few hours, leaving me with the kids to get the house cleaned and the little things packed. All went well, and we hit the road around 10:30. I always feel weird driving to Raleigh for a flight since we only live 15 minutes away from an airport with nonstop flights to Orlando, but it's the difference between $125 tickets and $225, but I digress...

Jump forward a few hours, and we're in sunny Orlando! I didn't read the directions that came with the Magical Express vouchers, so we went to the old counter instead of the new one. No biggie, just felt like I wasted 5 minutes of WDW time! We ended up on a bus taking people to all four of the MK resorts. We didn't have to wait inside at all, but we did have to wait about 20 minutes on the bus itself waiting on people. The best part, though, was that the Polynesian was the first stop!

At check-in, I was at first disappointed in our room, Tahiti 1002. I had requested Tokelau 2nd or 3rd floor. But once in our room, I was immediately in love. I really don't like the patio rooms at the Poly, but ours was awesome because the entire patio was blocked by lots of mature vegetiation, so no one could look in at all, and we had a beautiful view of nature. The only downside was that the floor was absolutely filthy - my 10 month old (Emma) was crawling around, and her hands, knees and toes were black! We complained, it was fixed, but still gross! This was the only negative about our room, and it was gone after Day 1. We had also requested a crib, and the room didn't have one, but that was fine and Emma just slept in the bed with me.

I had thought about going to Downtown Disney our first night to go to the Lego store because our son, Will, is starting to get into Legos. But DH wanted to go to a park, so we ended up at the MK. We were hungry and tried to get a walk in at the Plaza, but they were completely booked. We ended up having some yummy burgers and fries at Pecos Bills. I was trying to put the fixins on my burger and Will's burger at the same time. Right when I was almost done, I dropped the top of Will's bun. I just gave him the top off of mine and ate mine open face, but I felt so bad!

After we got some food in our stomachs, we were in a much better mood than before, and we hit some rides. We rode PoTC twice, then we headed off for Fantasyland. The crowds were thinning, so we wanted to get as much in as we could that night. We walked right on to Small World, Snow White and Winnie the Pooh. There was an hour wait for Peter Pan, so we headed over to Tomorrowland and got on Buzz a few times. Will and DH headed for Astro Orbiter, so me and Emma got on the TTA. I hadn't been on the TTA since it was the WedWay People Mover, but it was rather relaxing! Emma fell asleep very quickly on it, which was super good. We ended the night by racing down Main Street during the fireworks trying to beat the rush on the Monorail for our trip back to the Poly.

We all slept very well that first night.

elizs77

Original Poster
Thursday, May 8:

We woke up and headed over to the Great Ceremonial House for the character breakfast at 'Ohana. The food was good, and my son loved seeing Lilo, Stitch, Pluto and Mickey. We always love Chef Mickey's, but it was nice to have the quiter setting at 'Ohana. About halfway through our meal, the CMs handed out maracas, and the kids had a parade around the restaurant. My son was thrilled because Stitch was right behind him and kept chasing him/grabbing at him.

We headed back to the MK. It was an Extra Magic Hour morning, but the crowds stayed moderate all day. One of the first things we did was Monster's Inc Laugh Floor, and my husband was That Guy. We got a kick out of that, and he got a sticker to wear as a souviner. Even though he ended up putting the sticker in our son's autograph book, he was still recognized by others throughout the day! Kind of funny.

We wrapped up Tomorrowland and headed over to Mickey's Toontown. Will wanted to ride the Barnstormer, so the guys stood in line for 30 minutes for the 1 minute ride. In the meantime, I took Emma over to meet Minnie and Mickey in the Judge's Tent. It was quite a line, but at least it was in the a/c.

We had lunch at Pinochio's, which was actually better than expected. They had a lot of CMs inside directing the foot traffic and assisting in finding tables. This was a great help and really kept things moving. I had a pretty decent chicken Caesar salad, Will had a PB&J and DH had pizza. The pizza was like what's at Pizza Planet. We liked that the chairs had backs unlike at Pecos Bill's! We did the FastPass at Peter Pan, and then we headed back to the room for a break. The guys went swimming while us girls just chilled out in the room. Emma was just too wound up to nap!

We had dinner at Kona Cafe at the Poly, and it was delicious. DH said this was his favorite sit down of our trip. Our server was wonderful and friendly, and he kept the drink refills coming. I had the macadamian nut crusted Mahi Mahi, and DH had the teryiaki steak. For dessert, I had a macadamian nut pie sort of thing (can't remember the exact name), and DH had the Kilauea chocolate cake. Mine was good, his was better. Will's kids menu allowed him to get chicken noodle soup, hamburger and a build-your-own sundae.

After getting back to the MK, we could tell the crowd was starting to thin a bit. We went to PoTC again, as well as the Aladdin Carpet Ride, Swiss Family Robinson, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. The refurbed Haunted Mansion was so wonderful! I wish we had had time to go through it again. DH got soaked on Splash Mountain, but not from the drop. Instead, he got hit with the splash from another log as it went down.

I had to take baby Emma back to the room around 9, but the boys stayed late since the park didn't close until 11. They were able to hit several rides as well as catch Wishes. Will loved seeing Tinkerbell flying!

We discovered the first day that we didn't really need a ride strategy. We just got FastPasses whenever we could. Since crowds weren't that bad, they weren't hard to come by as long as we planned ahead a bit. If the ride had a FastPass, we had one and didn't stand in line. I love FastPass!

Grumpy-Fan

Cool report so far, can`t wait to hear the rest. My DW and I were there in Feburary. Next year we want to take our granddaughter with us, she will be four and a half. I was just wondering how old your children are and if you had any advice about character meals or any general information. We too are from NC, we live on the Outer Banks.

elizs77

Original Poster
Sorry I'm slow between posts!! We just got back, and yet we are now preparing to move into a new house, so it's crazy around here! And yet I want to get it all down before I forget.

Thank you all for the compliments!

Friday, May 9

Got up and had breakfast at Capt. Cook's. It was NUTS, but we were able to find a table rather easily. Mostly people in there trying to use up their dining credits before heading home. We didn't order anything from the hot food area. Just got pastries and fruit. The chocolate crossiant they have is one of the best we've ever tried. They also have Krispy Kreme, but we didn't eat any since we live in KK's home town. They doughnuts looked just a day too old for us (we also noticed this at the MK at the bakery).

We walked back over to the TTC and caught the Monorail to the Epcot. It was way more crowded than I expected. There was a glut of people trying to get through the bag check because there just weren't enough officers for the crowd. Once inside, we realized that there were a lot of school groups there for a choral competiton. They were easily recognizable because they all had on the same t-shirts, and I only really saw them in Future World.

We decided to head over to Test Track/Mission:Space first. There was no line at M:S, so we did that first. I'd always been afraid to try it, so we all did the green one. It was pretty good, and it made me curious about the orange. While I rode with Will, DH went and grabbed FastPasses for Test Track. After we finished up with M:S, it was time to do Test Track. It's still a great ride, but I think I rode it so much the last time that some of the fun has gone away for me. But I love the outside part! While DH and Will rode on Test Track, Emma and I hiked over to Soarin' for more FastPasses. I love The Land area, but of course I don't like (but understand why) strollers aren't allowed inside. Since I was by myself, it was just cumbersome to park the stroller, go inside, fight the crowd, get to the FP station and get back out. But, it's totally worth it!

We had an ADR at Le Cellier for 12:00, so we all met back up in Canada. I love Le Cellier, and it's one of the dining highlights of our trip. DH and I both had the filet, and Will ordered pizza from the kids menu. The pizza was very yucky to DH and I, but Will was fine with it. The kids menu also has appetizers that come with the meal, even with the DDP, so he and DH also had a cup of the cheddar cheese soup, which is always good. For dessert, Will had a sundae, DH had the mousse and I had the Chocolate Whisky Cake, which was good as always. Our server was from Winnepeg, and he was much better than the waitress we had last time. And of course, he kept the breadsticks coming! I could eat those pretzel sticks all day long.

We headed back to Future World for the rest of the afternoon. Our Soarin' FPs didn't start until 3, so we had some time to kill. There was about a 10 minute line for Nemo. I enjoyed it, but it is a very short ride. This was actually one of the few rides that scared Will! Something about it being dark. Tower of Terror doesn't scare him, Nemo does. Go figure. We didn't do Turtle Talk, either. Last time, Crush totally scared Will, so I think he remembered and just didn't want to do that again. So instead, we headed over to Imagniation. I thought I was going to fall asleep from boredom, but Will loved it. Then we all headed back to Soarin' with the plan on going back to the Poly for a rest when we were done. Will and I rode first, and it's definitely one of my favorite rides in the entire park. Then it was DH's turn, and Will had a little out of character breakdown. Instead of riding, I took him to Club Cool and to a little pin kiosk. We met back up with DH and decided to take a turn on SSE before we left. We definitely like the changes to SSE! The little cartoon was super cute. I emailed the picture postcard that you get at the end of the ride to myself, and it just hit my inbox today. So, they don't seem to send it for a full week!

At this point, Will had recovered, Emma was napping in her stroller, and we had dinner ADR coming up at 6. So we stayed.

Since we had a dinner ADR at San Angel Inn, we headed to Mexico and Norway. We got a FastPass to do the Malestrom, then went back to Mexico. We found Mexcian Donald in a little hideaway and got an autograph. Then we headed inside Mexico and rode the new and improved Grand Fiesta Tour. They didn't change a lot of the visuals, just the movie that goes along with the ride. It has made a HUGE difference. Will loved it so much we rode twice in a row (he actually said today that he wishes we were going to have this ride in our new house).

At San Angel Inn, we had to wait about 15 minutes to be seated. I think a lot of people don't like San Angel Inn because they are expecting food more along the lines of what you would get in your neighborhood Mexican restaurant, and these meals are more authentic. We loved the food! I actually got an appetizer as my entree, the Sope Tradicional, which was a grilled soft corn shell filled with chicken and refried beans, covered with fresh green tomato sauce, fresh cheese and onions, served over a bed of lettuce. DH got the Pollo a las Rajas, which is grilled chicken breast served over red peppers, onions, chile poblano, chorizo and melted cheese. Will got a chicken quesadilla with rice and veggies. I ordered a cheese quesadilla only for Emma, but they brought her the whole meal, but they only charged us for the quesadilla. We didn't get any dessert because we paid for this meal instead of using the DDP because we had too many sit downs!

After dinner, we trekked back to Norway and rode the Malestrom. I enjoy it, but it is showing its age a bit. This was an Epcot Extra Hours night, so we ended up snagging wristbands and rode Mission:Space again. But this time, we did the orange. Not a good idea. DH and Will went first, and they did fine. Then it was my turn. I did fine during take off, but after we went around the moon, I started having a really hard time. I got to the point I wanted to close my eyes because my stomach felt so bad, but the instructions tell you not to do so, so I didn't. I felt bad for the rest of the night. I never got sick, just queezy.

We all went to bed super tired!

elizs77

Original Poster
Saturday, May 10

Got up early (egads!) and heading over to Animal Kingdom for Extra Magic morning Hours. We weren't there when the gates opened, so we thought it would be crowded. It wasn't!

My son and I hightailed it over to Everest while my husband strolled my daughter over to Kilamenjaro Safaris for FastPasses. I expected a line at Everest, but there was none! I still grabbed a Rider Switch pass for when my husband made it back. We managed to ride twice before my husband arrived, so he and our son rode it another two times. But my husband left his sunglasses in the pocket on the ride, and he remembered after he got off the ride. They found another similar pair on the ride, but not his. Oh well.

I hadn't had much to eat that morning, so I didn't feel to hot after my two trips to see the Yeti. This was unusual, so I figured I just needed something more than apple slice in my tummy. I made my way over to the bakery near the Safaris, and there was a crazy long line! The hold up was at the ordering point. There was a separate queue for ordering away from the actual restaurant window, and then you went and picked up your food. All I wanted was a bagel! It took at least 15 minutes, and then they were out of plain ones. I ended up with a crossaint, which did the job.

The safari was wonderful, as usual. Our son said he didn't want to ride, but once we were on it, he loved finding the animals that were listed on the animal guide above our heads. We had a somewhat interesting start when the four of us got in the seats, then another family of four tried to stuff themselves into our seat as well. The poor lady didn't understand hardly any English, and I was trying to explain to her that she had to wait. She just kept telling me yes! I finally was able to get it across that they should wait for the next ride. They were so nice about the misunderstanding, and I was trying so hard to not be like, hey, what are you doing, just wait! I was surprised a CM didn't come help us out. But once we were going, we saw most of the star animals except the lions, as they were hidden behind their rocks. We only saw their tales.

We didn't spend much longer at AK. Husband and son rode Kali River Rapids and got soaked, which is why I didn't want to go. I decided to change our daughter's diaper at the Baby Care Center. I can't say enough good things about that place!! It was so clean and cool. I just wish they were more convenient in the other parks, like at the Stuidos it's at the front gate.

We were hungry and wanted counter service food, but we didn't want to go back to the Polynesian for lunch. So, we decided to catch a bus to the Grand Floridian. It was a bit bittersweet that the first stop was the Wilderness Lodge, which is my favorite resort. I almost got off the bus to look around, but I was hungry and actually don't like Roaring Forks, so we stayed on the bus. Gasparilla Grill and Games was a bit harder to find than we thought since it was outside of the main building. The food was good - I had a salad, husband had a yummy sandwich, son had PB&J. I did notice that it looked like they had real brewed coffee instead of Nescafe! What we didn't like was the games area. It took up a lot of seating area, and it just made lunch a bit less relaxing than we would have liked. I would not want to be around all that noise in the morning! Plus, our son just stared at the games wanting to play the whole time.

After lunch, we headed back to the Poly for some R&R. Our daughter and I had a good long nap, and the boys went to the pool for the afternoon. We had dinner reservations at Cape May's, and we gave ourselves and hour to get there. This was a good move! We walked to the TTC thinking we could catch the Beach Club bus there, but we couldn't. We ended up taking the monorail to the MK, then catching the Beach Club bus. It was at the stop when we arrived, so we thought it was just going to be a quick jaunt over to the resort. Nope. Our bus driver took a wrong turn, which meant we had to sit at the wrong stop light forever and a day. Then he made an illegal right turn since we were waiting for so long, and we ended up driving through Coranado Springs to turn around.

FINALLY, we made it to the Beach Club for a delicious dinner at Cape May's. The seafood was a nice change from the usual buffet fair. I especially enjoyed the fried tilapia and the broccoli rabe.

After dinner, we walked over to Epcot and did a speed tour of the World Showcase nations we had missed the night before. In England, our son met Tigger, Pooh and Eeyore. The Beatles tribute band was playing outside, and our son started to dance, and then Tigger and Pooh joined in. It was quite cute!

In France, I made sure I had the Grand Marnier Orange Slushie I've heard so much about on this site, Samantha Brown and the Unofficial Guide. It really was absolutely wonderful!

In Morocco, I decided to have our son do the Kidcot stop mask. I knew he wouldn't collect them all, but I thought he'd enjoy collecting them at the ones we'd catch that night. Sure enough, he did! His mask wasn't very colorful since he doesn't actually like anything associated with art, but he enjoyed collecting the little diecut papers they would attach to his mask at each stop.

We ran through the rest of the countries, and we finally made it over to China, our last stop since we had visited Mexico and Norway the day before. Our night ended at MouseGears as we had our big shopping night, and then we meandered back to the monorail to leave.

EPCOT.nut

I've always wanted to stay at the Poly - I need to start planning the next 10 years worth of trips so I can see when I can get there! :lol:

Loved your trip report - you have such a nice attitude about everything.

And thanks for the tip about the Grand Marnier Orange Slushie - I'd never heard of it but I'm for sure going to try it!

elizs77

Original Poster
Sunday, May 11

First of all, I do apologize for the space between my posts! We moved, and my computer went all buggy, and then I forgot. So, here I am again!!

Sunday, May 11

I was already getting pretty sad because it was our last full day, but we got up early and headed over to the Contemporary for a fun breakfast at Chef Mickey's. We evidently missed seeing Minnie right when we sat down, so we kept waiting and waiting for her to come back. Our waitress noticed we were done eating and wanting to leave, so she went and told the head character guy, and Minnie came over and made a nice long appearance with us (thanks!!).

We ran out of the Contemporary and grabbed a bus over to the Studios. Will was super excited because he wanted to ride what he calls "The Tower of the Terror." And amazingly enough, he wasn't scared, and I think he rode about 5 or 6 times for the day. He was more concerned about the back story and kept asking me if our hotel was going to be hit by lightning, and then if our house would be hit.

It was useasonably hot that day, and the heat and humidity reminded me of my old August vacations. I was wet down to the core!

~~~I will finish this shortly!!~~~

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Nice trip report. A few random thoughts. If you had followed up on the lackage of crib in the room with the front desk, I'm sure they would have accomodated you. I think it's really cool that Will will do thrill rides. My son is pretty nervous about them. We're trying to get him to try BTMRR. He loves the Barnstormer, so I think he should be able to handle the step up. I forgot about the Grand Mariner orange slushy during the family reunion, but it's on my must drink list for October.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom