Our trip plans... thoughts?

Big Baloo

Original Poster
Hi all! I'm the Disney planner in my family and this is the itinerary I've created for us. First, some backstory, my wife and I are taking our 5 year old daughter and 11 year old nephew, to WDW in January. We live in western Canada and the kids have been to Disneyland, but never DisneyWorld. My wife and I have been to WDW 5 times, all before kids. We like to plan out our table service meals and just wing the counter service ones. I would like to know your thoughts and if there is anything you would change, specifically about the restaurants I've chosen, but other comments are welcome as well.

Day One
- arrive at noon from an overnight flight
- check into Coronado Springs Resort
- Hollywood Studios in the evening, after a nap

Day Two
- Magic Kingdom
- Late lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table

Day Three
- Animal Kingdom
- Dinner at Rainforest Cafe
(We've never been to one)

Day Four
- EPCOT
- Lunch at Akershus

Day Five
- Universal Studios

Day Six
- Islands of Adventure

Day Seven
- Volcano Bay
- Dinner at Mickey's Backyard BBQ (First time)

Day Eight
- Hollywood Studios
- Dinner at Sci-Fi Dine-In

Day Nine
- EPCOT
- Walk to Dinner at Cape May Cafe (wife wants sea food)

Day Ten
- Animal Kingdom
- Dinner at Spirit of Aloha

Day Eleven
- Magic Kingdom
- Breakfast at Crystal Palace (First Time)

Weather_Lady

I had just a couple of thoughts:
1 - Spirit of Aloha: is generally an extremely poorly-reviewed meal (although you didn't mark it as a "first time" experience, so perhaps it's something you know you like from experience). You might consider dinner at 'Ohana (also at the Polynesian; served family-style) or the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue (dinner show at Fort Wilderenss) as alternatives.
2 - Volcano Bay: double-check the reviews before you go, but it's been getting pretty terrible reviews (or at least, wildly inconsistent reviews) since it opened. Unless you've already purchased 3-park passes to Universal, you might look into visiting Disney's Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach instead. The cost for a 1-day ticket is about the same as Volcano Bay -- and in fact, if you already have parkhopper tickets to WDW, the cost to upgrade them to Parkhopper Plus tickets (for waterpark access) is a fraction of the cost of a 1-day waterpark ticket.

Figgy1

Premium Member
While at IOA make a lunch ADR for Mythos they close early most days that time of year. Also quick service at UNI is a bit lets just say we'll only eat at the Potter places and Thunder Terrace.

Herdman

If you do go to Universal make sure you purchase the park to park ticket. You'll want to split your visit into half of each park both days so you can ride the Hogwarts Express both ways.

Bob Harlem

1 - Spirit of Aloha: is generally an extremely poorly-reviewed meal (although you didn't mark it as a "first time" experience, so perhaps it's something you know you like from experience). You might consider dinner at 'Ohana (also at the Polynesian; served family-style) or the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue (dinner show at Fort Wilderenss) as alternatives.
2 - Volcano Bay: double-check the reviews before you go, but it's been getting pretty terrible reviews (or at least, wildly inconsistent reviews) since it opened. Unless you've already purchased 3-park passes to Universal, you might look into visiting Disney's Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach instead. The cost for a 1-day ticket is about the same as Volcano Bay -- and in fact, if you already have parkhopper tickets to WDW, the cost to upgrade them to Parkhopper Plus tickets (for waterpark access) is a fraction of the cost of a 1-day waterpark ticket.

Volcano Bay is great, that time of year shouldn't be a problem at all (Most of the problems had to do with new park operational issues and serious overcrowding in the summer).

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Volcano Bay is great, that time of year shouldn't be a problem at all (Most of the problems had to do with new park operational issues and serious overcrowding in the summer).

Yes, I agree. While the wrist band worked well - really like the countdown to your return time - we had problems with the lockers - both availability and working properly. And $12 to rent a beach towel. Really?

The fast moving lazy river needs to be rethought - one of the entry points is a nightmare and I had people trying to take my tube away from me - and I was still in it! And teens locking hands so they stretched all the way across, causing another logjam.

Never got the ride the big slide in the volcano - 3 hour wait. But we enjoyed our day and agreed that next visit we should plan on spending 2 days so we can ride more slides.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If you do go to Universal make sure you purchase the park to park ticket. You'll want to split your visit into half of each park both days so you can ride the Hogwarts Express both ways.

Yes, make sure to get a park to park ticket so you can ride the Hogwarts Express. Great way to get from one park to another. And it's cool, too.

Big Baloo

Original Poster

I was thinking of just doing the one park per day option. It's $55 more per person for the park hopper and that just doesn't seem like good value to me. Is Hogwarts express really great? I've never been.

Big Baloo

Original Poster

1) Thanks for the suggestions. I've been to Ohana and we've done Hoop De Doo multiple times. I just thought the kids would like the fire dancing, especially since we went to Hawaii last year for our holiday.

2) We've done the Disney water parks. I'm excited to check out Volcano Bay, hopefully it's better than some of the negative reviews. Have you been? What did you think?

Weather_Lady

2) We've done the Disney water parks. I'm excited to check out Volcano Bay, hopefully it's better than some of the negative reviews. Have you been? What did you think?[/QUOTE]

No, I haven't been to Volcano Bay. We're taking our children to Universal for the first time (followed by Disney for the fourth) this coming spring (end of April/first week of May, so a moderate crowd level time), so I've been reading up on it. We've never been to any of the WDW water parks in our prior visits, either, but we'd like to do a water park this time around, so we've been trying to decide whether to visit Volcano Bay or one of the Disney water parks. Currently, it seems like the Disney ones have their act together, while Volcano Bay reviews are still all over the place, so we were leaning toward Typhoon Lagoon, but still checking the reviews of Volcano Bay periodically to see if they're getting any better...

Herdman

I was thinking of just doing the one park per day option. It's $55 more per person for the park hopper and that just doesn't seem like good value to me. Is Hogwarts express really great? I've never been.

Wow I didn't realize it was that much more. I'm not sure I would pay that even though the train is pretty cool.

larandtra

Hi all! I'm the Disney planner in my family and this is the itinerary I've created for us. First, some backstory, my wife and I are taking our 5 year old daughter and 11 year old nephew, to WDW in January. We live in western Canada and the kids have been to Disneyland, but never DisneyWorld. My wife and I have been to WDW 5 times, all before kids. We like to plan out our table service meals and just wing the counter service ones. I would like to know your thoughts and if there is anything you would change, specifically about the restaurants I've chosen, but other comments are welcome as well.

Day One
- arrive at noon from an overnight flight
- check into Coronado Springs Resort
- Hollywood Studios in the evening, after a nap

Day Two
- Magic Kingdom
- Late lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table

Day Three
- Animal Kingdom
- Dinner at Rainforest Cafe
(We've never been to one)

Day Four
- EPCOT
- Lunch at Akershus

Day Five
- Universal Studios

Day Six
- Islands of Adventure

Day Seven
- Volcano Bay
- Dinner at Mickey's Backyard BBQ (First time)

Day Eight
- Hollywood Studios
- Dinner at Sci-Fi Dine-In

Day Nine
- EPCOT
- Walk to Dinner at Cape May Cafe (wife wants sea food)

Day Ten
- Animal Kingdom
- Dinner at Spirit of Aloha

Day Eleven
- Magic Kingdom
- Breakfast at Crystal Palace (First Time)

I try to not jump in on too many food questions, mainly because I go a ton and really like food so my opinion of restaurants may not be similar to others. I find restaurants to be personal opinion more than fact sometimes. That being said, take my opinions with a grain fo salt. First, I think the fact you only do one ADR per day is brilliant. Too many people overdo the food and with two kids, you dont want to waste half your day eating or waiting to eat.
On Day One, after Studios, I might take the walk down to Beach club and grab a bite at Beaches and Cream. The kids would love it and youll find the atmosphere and food worth the short trip.
Day 2, Im not a fan of many restaurants at MK. Skipper Canteen is the one I go to most. But, With kids I understand Cinderella. I think the food is hit or miss but the atmosphere is certainly worth it and a lot of fun. Short of leaving the park for a bit and going to Ohana, its a good choice with kids.
Day3- While the lure of Rainforest is ok, I would highly suggest Tusker with kids. Great atmosphere and excellent food. Rainforest is Schtick more than anything and the food is disappointing.
Day 4- Lunch at Akershus is absolutely a good plan. Food is always good. I miss it because its now the princes meal so I dont go as often.
Day 5-7: Eat at Toothsome. You wont regret it. One of the best restaurants at Universal. The kids will love the atmosphere. If eating in the parks, the food is..well. not very good. Eat at Hogsmeade or Broomsticks in park. Otherwise eat outside the park in citywalk. All of the other restaurants are eh. Since the parks close early, you could go back to Springs and eat at Raglan or splitsville since you have kids. I also am not a fan of Volcano bay. But I dont like water parks that much anyway. Mickeys Backyard BBQ is ok. You will have fun but out there I would do Hoop Dee Doo
Day 8- I would do 50s with kids. I would do it with just adults before Sci Fi. Much better experience, much better food.
Day 9- Cape May isnt a bad choice for seafood. Its pretty generic and much like a ryans on steroids. If it were just you and wife I would easily say Flying Fish. But, with kids Cape may is a safe bet.
Day 10- Sub Ohana for the Luau. Much better food and more fun.
Day 11- Breakfast at Crystal Palace is passable.

Overall nto a bad plan. Hope you have fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom