Our Poly Adventure, 7/17/03-7/24/03

Trip Report
07/17/2003-07/24/2003
Polynesian Concierge
3 Adults 2, 10 month old twin boys

Day 1- 07/17
Left from Nashville, TN at 11:20 Central, flying Southwest Airlines. Flight was on-time and without a hitch. We used a Tiffany Towncar van to get us to the Poly. Service was acceptable, but not spectacular. Was more impressed with Happy Limo on our previous stay at WDW. We arrived at the Poly at about 3:30 PM. Within minutes there was a bellman in a large golf cart ready to take us and our luggage straight to our room, by-passing normal check-in. He gave us a brief tour of the resort before taking us to our building, Tahiti. There he introduced us to the staff on the 2nd floor, then showed us where the food was on the third floor. He took us to our room, 3009, a garden-view room, and told me to check-in on the 2nd floor at my convenience. We soon saw that the babyfood we had requested was already waiting for us in our room, along with the fridge and 2 cribs. The view was a nice view of some lush tropical vegetation.

Upon check-in, I got to know Marilyn and Lucciano, and discovered that Marilyn was Tara’s mother. I told her how helpful she had been and how I was glad to know where she got her niceness from. We received a lot of info, including the priority seatings they had arranged for us. I asked if it was possible that we could be upgraded to Lagoon View. Marilyn checked and relayed that the only one available was one with a blocked view. Upon her recommendation, I decided to stay put. I, then, went back up to the third floor, but stopped at the Concierge lounge. When I saw the view from there, my jaw dropped. I had to get a lagoon view, if possible. I went back down and told them how awestruck I was by the lagoon view and again asked if there were any way to upgrade, even if I had to pay for it. Lucciano started punching away at his keyboard and relayed that we could get one tomorrow night, if we were willing to move. He assured we would get a good view, and I happily agreed. I consider myself very fortunate, and would have been totally understanding if it would not have worked out. An upgrade should NEVER be expected or taken for granted. These guys work hard and the last thing they need are rude people demanding upgrades.

By the time I had finished conversing with the staff, it was 5 o’clock and food was out on the 3rd floor. We were blown away. There were wonderful ribs, grilled chicken strips, and rice, not to mention the cheese, fruit, crackers, etc. We ate and ate. It was very good. We enjoyed it so much that we were too full to make our ps at Ohana (our fav restaurant) that night. Right there we saved $90. We, instead, headed to Magic Kingdom, via the monorail at the TTC, a fairly close walk from Tahiti. There we rode Pirates of the Caribbean, It’s a Small World, and the Country Bear Jamboree. The boys loved them all! We also visited some of the gift shops, of course! Returned to TTC via Ferry. It was an excellent, busy, tiring day

kwhdmd

Original Poster
Day 2- 07/19
Boys got up around 8. While their Mommy fed them, I went to the concierge lounge to get breakfast. Found a nice spread including whole and skim milk, orange juice, coffee, hot tea, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, and various muffins and pastries. Breakfast there was the same each morning of our stay and we enjoyed it. My fav was some Hawaiian pineapple bread. Ok, after everyone had showered and ate, I went down to the concierge desk to check on moving our room. They said our room was ready and we would be in 3025, just across and down the hall from where we were. They offered to get a bellman to move us, but I told them that wouldn’t be necessary. 3025 was 2 doors down from the concierge lounge. Talk about convenient! Talk about one great view! It would be VERY hard to ask for a better view. We loved it! Thanks again, Lucciano and Marilyn! You guys rock!

Finally got off to a late start back to the Magic Kingdom. Enjoyed the Hall of Presidents and the Haunted Mansion. Boys slept through HOP and Mom decided to skip HM and instead visit the shops in Liberty Square with the boys. After that, it was time for the boys to be fed lunch. We went to the baby center near Crystal Palace. There she could nurse the boys in a cool, private environment. The staff there was very accommodating. Then went to Enchanted Tiki Room. We all loved that one. We feel it’s a very under-appreciated show. At that point, we decided to go back to the Poly to relax.

We had ps for the Fantasmic package at Hollywood and Vine in MGM @ 7. Dinner there was ok. My fav was the Key Lime cake. Main reason to eat there was to assure ourselves of a seat for Fantasmic!, one of my favorite attractions. Got to the theater, got our seats, woohoo! Aw-oh! Was that lightning I just saw? Yes it was.  Fantasmic! got cancelled.  A monsoon hit just as we were getting on the bus to return to the Poly! Oh, well, the best laid plans of mice and men…yada yada yada!

kwhdmd

Original Poster
Day 3, 07/19
Ate breakfast from the concierge lounge, then grabbed some bottled water and headed off to Epcot via the monorail @ TTC. Noticed that the monorail to MK was much more crowded than the one to Epcot. First thing we did at Epcot was to head to Test Track for Fast Passes. Received a surprise Fast Pass to Honey, I Shrunk the Audience along with the FP to TT. Went to HISTA, and enjoyed it like always. Next, enjoyed Journey Into Your Imagination. Hadn’t done this ride since the 80s. Enjoyed it lots! The boys really liked it! JIYI gets a hearty endorsement from this Disneyphile. Still had some time to spare, so we headed to The Land. Grabbed a bite to eat at Sunshine Season Food Fair (Chicken Strips and fries). Nothing special but it served its purpose and we found it to be a rather pleasant atmosphere. Hope to try the Garden Grill Restaurant at another trip to WDW. Went ahead and rode Living With the Land since the line was real short. Found it to be somewhat interesting. Wouldn’t wait in line long for that attraction, however. Finally, it was time to head back over to Test Track. Did the baby swap and my wifw got to ride twice. She really enjoyed Test Track. It was her first time for that attraction.

At this time, it was time to head to the Baby Center which is tucked away in the Odyssey Center. Pretty nice facility. Liked MK’s a little better. Epcot’s staff weren’t quite as pleasant as MK’s and we saw some ants in Epcot’s. No major, hairy deal, though. After feedings and diaper changes. Ww headed to the World Showcase, already pretty worn out. I had to continue my custom of getting a Brat at Sommerfest in Germany. It was good, as usual. The wife got a pretzel, and we found it to be better than the other pretzels found around the park. It wasn’t long before we sensed a storm brewing, and the wife decided she wanted to call it a day at Epcot. We headed to the monorail and made it back to the room right before the floods came.

Ate dinner from the selection in the concierge lounge. Best I remember, there were Sticky wings, rice, and egg rolls, along with the regular fruit, cheese, and crackers. Original itinerary had us returning to Epcot for dinner at Rose and Crown followed by Illuminations. DW decided she wanted to go to Downtown Disney instead. So, to DD we went. Took an hour to get there via bus. It was VERY crowded. Hit the Christmas shop, then World of Disney. Boys did not like the crowds. I let my wife continue shopping and the boys and I went and sat in the amphitheater in front of World of Disney. They had some delightful Disney music playing and I was able to see the Illumination fireworks from there. We had a nice bonding experience while the wife depleted our bank account. Headed back to the bus around 11 after a stop in the scrapbooking store. The bus ride didn’t quite take as long on the return trip.

pepsistar

:D Great trip report, will be waiting for the rest..

A few ?'s

How long were you there/days?
Did you have to pay for the PS'S you misssed?
Did they give you a priority seating passs/ticket for Fantasmic for another show when it was rained out? ( did you check with the rest.?)

What was that room number-- ???????? (I will check your post, ha ha)
:lol: :D I will have to remember it just in case--:D

WOW !!! :lookaroun 10 month old twins--- I give you credit!!!! Hope you took lots of pics/video!!

kewlgrl127

I go to Disney World at least once a year and my family stays in a deluxe resort. I am just wondering, do you think the extra cost of the concierge level room is worth it? We would definitly make use of the breakfast in the lounge but I don't know what other amenities those floors have. If anyone could give me some details on concierge level rooms I would appreciate it

kwhdmd

Original Poster
How long were you there/days? 7 NIGHTS/ 8 DAYS
Did you have to pay for the PS'S you misssed? ALWAYS TRIED TO CALL AND CANCEL THEM, BUT WAS NOT CHARGED FOR THE ONES I FORGOT TO.
Did they give you a priority seating passs/ticket for Fantasmic for another show when it was rained out? ( did you check with the rest.?) NO, IF IT RAINS, YOU'RE SCREWED
What was that room number? 3025 of Tahiti...Great room!

Do you think the extra cost of the concierge level room is worth it? Considering we got 7 nights for the price of 4, it was definitely worth it. It will be hard not to go concierge the next time we go. I'm convinced if I go any other way now that I'll be disappointed. Here's a link to a great site explaining concierge services at the Polynesian...
http://tikiman2001.homestead.com/conciergeservice.html

kwhdmd

Original Poster
Day 4, 07/20
Today will be our only day not to eat the concierge breakfast. We, instead, did a character breakfast at the Grand Floridian’s 1900 Park Fare. We arrived there via the monorail for our 10:10 ps. The breakfast was great, as usual. The characters, Pooh, Tigger, Alice, and Mary Poppins did a nice job of hitting each and every table. We ate…. And ate…. And ate….. and ate.
After we busted our gut, we browsed throught GF and did a little shopping, then headed to Animal Kingdom. Our only goal for that day was to see Kilimanjaro Safari. We got a Fast Pass for it, and soon were on our safari. The highlights were seeing the baby elephant, and, in hindsight, seeing the giraffe that got hit by lightning the day before it’s demise. By the time we were through with that, it was time to feed the boys. We headed to the baby center at AK, which is centrally located. We found AK’s baby Center to be far-and-away the best of the bunch. Spacious and cheery, Disney got this one just right. At this point, we decided to head back to the Poly and grab a sandwich at Kona Café’. We, however, were too late, so we grabbed a sandwich at Captain Cook’s. I got the Hawaiian pork sandwich and my wife got the grilled chicken sandwich. We found the sandwiches to be quite good. Then, went back to the room for a little nap.

Grabbed dinner from concierge offering and headed to Magic Kingdom. We found we especially enjoyed going to MK this trip due to how easy it was to get there from our resort. Not having to fold up the double stroller and drag everything and everybody onto the bus was really nice. This night we first headed to the Jungle Cruise. Hadn’t ever done this attraction at night and we found that it added something floating through in the darkness. Next, we rode Snow White’s Scary Adventure. Luckily, the boys aren’t “yella” and breezed through it with no problems. Next, we took turns riding Dumbo, the Flying Elephant. Line was very short, as the parade was going on at that time. Finally, we all walked right on It’s a Small World for a return engagement since the boys enjoyed it so much. At this point, all rides were closing. We ducked in a Pinocchio souvenir shop for a few minutes, then as we walked out the fireworks began. We watched them from behind the castle. The boys were very impressed and ,thankfully, not scared by the loud noises. After they were over we made our way over to the baby center for diaper changes. We took our time, allowing the crowds to start dwindling. One of us went to Casy’s to get a couple of hot dogs, while the other went to get some ice cream. We met back at Casey’s and enjoyed and relaxed. We met a father there who had taken his son stricken with cerebral palsy. It reminded us to count our blessings each day. That father displayed such love toward his son. Without the father, the son would never be able to enjoy the Magic Kingdom. In a very similar way, I see my relationship with my heavenly Father. Hope you get the metaphor. I digress. So, we ended our day slowly browsing through the Emporium, then getting on a near-empty monorail and heading back to the Poly. It was a good day.

Day 5, 07/21
Ate concierge breakfast, then headed to Disney-MGM Studios. 1st item on agenda- get Fast Pass for Tower of Terror. Next, went to the Playhouse Disney show. Defnitely a kid-tested, mother-approved show. Very enjoyable. Picked up some Mickey Ear ice cream bars as we lolly-gagged to the Tower of Terror. Once again, did the baby swap. This time, I got to ride twice. Yippee! TOT is probably my favorite ride. Picked up a Toluca Legs Turkey leg on our way to the baby center. Truthfully, I was not impressed. I was equally unimpressed with the baby center at MGM. The location at the very front entrace of the park is lousy. It was basically unmanned. And, it was very small, dark, and dingy. By far, the worst of the 4 baby centers. After feeding the babies, we decided to feed ourselves. We ate at the ABC Commissary and found it to be completely satisfactory. I got Fish and Chips, the wife got a burger and fries, and we were both satisfied with our lunch there. After lunch, we did the Great Movie Ride, another one of our favorites. I knew it has recently been rehabbed. Saw some slight changes, but mainly everything just seemed a little crisper. Next, went to Muppet-Vision 3-D, again, one of our favs. As we were leaving the attraction, it became obvious that another afternoon storm was approaching. After a quick perusal of the Muppet gift shop we grabbed a bus and headed back to the Poly.

21 of our family members were coming in late that afternoon. After they checked in at the Poly, several of them wanted to hit MK before our dinner at Ohana late that night. My wife decided to stay in the room, so I headed over to the MK with them. I wanted to visit the Carousel of Progress since it may be closing in the near future. So, we did CoP. Sorry, guys, but I think that attractions time has come and gone. Glad I had the chance to experience it, though. And, man, does that theme song stick with you for awhile. MK was very crowded at this time. We did Country bear Jamboree, then headed back to the Poly. All 26 of us had 9 o’clock ressies at Ohana. Ohana may be my favorite restaurant in the whole world. It did not disappoint, yet again, and we enjoyed watching the MK fireworks from there as they piped in the music. After dinner, we took a leisurely stroll around the Poly and continued to fall in love with it. Day

I really really enjoy reading your trip report. Not only is it highly descriptive and I can visualize being there, you have elegant speech. A pleasure to read.

:sohappy: :wave: :sohappy: :wave:

Katherine

I love reading your trip report! How old are your boys? they sound cute. Also, do you think the extra cost of conceirge evened out with the money you didn't spend on meals, water,ect? Great report!

kwhdmd

Original Poster
Day 6, 07/22
Ate concierge breakfast then met it was off to Animal Kingdom to meet some of our family. We met at the Festival of the Lion King. It was my first time to enjoy this show. I found it to be very impressive. It was also very hot, though. I hear they’re planning on enclosing it and I think that’s an excellent idea. After just the 1st attraction, we already had different agendas and split up. We next got a Fast Pass for It’s Tough To Be A Bug. Our boys did fine, but I swear that attraction strikes fear into the hearts’ of children more than any other on property. After that, it was time to hit the baby center just as a torrential rainfall was getting ready to begin. While my wife was feeding the boys, I trudged through the storm to get Fast Passes for Dinosaur. The storm was a short one and was finished before the twins were. The big folk were hungry by that time, so we ate at Pizzafari. The wife and I split a cheese pizza and some bread sticks. It was fine for lunch, but nothing to write home about. So, it was on to Dinoland, a part of AK that I had never explored. It is now one of my favorite themed lands. My wife and our friend were reluctant to ride Dinosaur, so I rode it by myself, first. I have never been so scared on an attraction. The picture they took of me during the ride was hilarious. I looked scared to death. I loved it! Talked them into riding it and they enjoyed it also. Next, grabbed a Fast Pass for Primievil Whirl. What a fun ride it was! It’s a ______________ love child of a tilt’a’whirl and Space mountain’s coaster. Big fun! Before heading back to the Poly, we stopped at a charming souvenir shop in Dinoland. I spent way too much money on adding to my monorail. I added the Polynesian, the Grand Floridian, the Castle, and the Dumbo ride. Had it shipped to my home for $15.95. Then, back to the Poly for a siesta.

For dinner, we had ps for Chef Mickey’s. This was also a first for our entire family. We LOVED it! It was loads of fun and the food was better than advertised. It is now on my list of must-do’s. Tonight was going to be our e-ride night. We went back to the Poly and put the boys to bed, leaving them with our friend who went with us. Watched the fireworks from our room, then headed to the Magic Kingdom to meet other family members. We LOVED e-ride night! 1st time doing Splash Mountain….why did I ever skip this attraction??!?!?!?!? It was wonderful! Next did Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin, and , finally, Space Mountain. We had a ball and enjoyed no lines. Leisurely toured the park after closing. It was so neat to walk around a near-empty. Magic Kingdom. I highly recommend taking advantage of e-ride nights. Headed back to the Poly for a good night’s sleep in our wonderfully comfy bed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom