Trip Report **completed**Our not so perfect, but good enough July 2021 trip

Hi, all! It took me much longer to get this started than I wanted, but my computer decided it didn't have room for any more of my photos and I had to get an external hard drive and transfer some in order to start! We've also been a little busy getting everything ready for Logan to leave for Iowa in 2 weeks!

So, if you didn't follow along with my PTR, we were supposed to be on a cruise to celebrate Logan's HS graduation, but instead had to switch gears and decided to spend a few days at WDW.

Now, the specifics:
Who: Me (Amy), my husband Brian, Logan (18), Lily (16), and Owen (13)
737734427.jpeg

Where: Cabana Bay Beach Resort and Pop Century

When: July 11-20, 2021

Why: as I previously mentioned, this trip was to celebrate Logan's HS graduation. He asked for a cruise, so I do have another one scheduled for next June and we quickly threw together the Disney portion of this trip (so I guess we can call this his preliminary graduation trip!!)

We had some truly magical moments on this trip and some definitively un-magical moments as well! Unfortunately, our first day held one of the most un-magical moments.

We drove from Ohio and always try to leave very early to try to avoid as much traffic as possible. We set an alarm for midnight and our goal was to leave the house between 1 and 1:30 am. We were spot on!
20210711_011339.jpg

We made a quick stop at McDonald's for Cokes and were on our way. It was smooth sailing all the way to northern Florida. We even made it through Atlanta with no drama or slow downs!!
20210711_121511.jpg

Florida was stop and go the whole way, but we still made decent time and were pulling in to Cabana Bay Beach Resort about 4:00 which was about 1-1.5 hours later than we had anticipated, so not too bad! However, that is official check in time, and the parking area was a mess, as was the lobby!
20210711_155943.jpg

Luckily, they had sent me an email that allowed me to check in prior to arrival and that line was fairly short! The regular line was wrapped all the way around the lobby and was said to be 2 hours long! Brian dropped me off and found a parking spot that he probably shouldn't have been in to wait for me and sent Logan in to the lobby to guide me back to the car!

Now for the most un-magical moment of our trip! I had booked a 2 bedroom volcano view suite as a surprise for Logan since it was his celebration trip and I thought it would be cool to see the volcano lit up at night and watch all the activity in the park from our room. I paid way more than I normally would for a room, but felt it was a reasonable splurge. Well, we get to our room which happened to be on the second floor and this was our view:
20210711_164849.jpg

IMG_1095.JPG

IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1098.JPG

Yes, that is the back of a service building and the very tip of the volcano!! I don't understand how they can charge the same amount of money for this view as they can for the higher floor rooms (which I did request)! They need a lower partial or obstructed view charge for the rooms on this floor. I did say something and no one cared at all and basically told me to stuff it! Needless to say, we won't be back there any time soon!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Sorry this report is taking me so long! Work is crazy, cross country and soccer seasons are in full swing, had to go Homecoming dress shopping, and I'm trying to keep up with all of Logan's clubs he's joined at Iowa! I will eventually finish it!

After dinner, we headed toward the front of the park to walk through some of the shops.
IMG_2475.JPG

IMG_2476.JPG

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2481.JPG

Then we stopped for some PhotoPass pics.
737731168.jpeg

737731178.jpeg

737737539.jpeg

Then this happened!?! He asked us to act like we were eating Lily's ears!
737731232.jpeg

Very weird! But, whatever, we got a good laugh out of it!!

Last edited:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Sorry this report is taking me so long! Work is crazy, cross country and soccer seasons are in full swing, had to go Homecoming dress shopping, and I'm trying to keep up with all of Logan's clubs he's joined at Iowa! I will eventually finish it!

After dinner, we headed toward the front of the park to walk through some of the shops.
View attachment 586490
View attachment 586491
View attachment 586493
View attachment 586494
View attachment 586495
View attachment 586496

View attachment 586487
View attachment 586488

View attachment 586489

He probably should have put her in the middle, then. 🤨

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
The only time we stopped in line was to find this hidden Mickey with the help of the CM. The kids couldn't see it until I took a picture of it and showed them on the camera.
IMG_2487.JPG

Then we headed back to Galaxy's Edge to check out the Droid Depot. (we didn't have a reservation, the boys just wanted to see the inside)
IMG_2494.JPG

IMG_2495.JPG

IMG_2496.JPG

IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2502.JPG

IMG_2503.JPG

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Logan ordered the Carbon Freeze
IMG_2551.JPG

Brian, the Yub Nub because he wanted the Endor mug
IMG_2552.JPG

I got the Fuzzy Tauntaun
IMG_2554.JPG

And Lily and Owen both got a Blue Bantha
IMG_2555.JPG

Everything was ok, but we went for the experience and not the drinks!

Then, the whole reason I got an after park close ADR, night time pics! (sorry they aren't the best)
IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2564.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

Songbird76

View attachment 586490
View attachment 586491
View attachment 586493
View attachment 586494
View attachment 586495
View attachment 586496

View attachment 586487
View attachment 586488
View attachment 586509

View attachment 586489

I hear you about being busy...I was spread so thin in high school I was transparent! I have to wonder if it's a good or a bad thing that they don't do that here with all the extra-curriculars. You have to join community clubs and pay for it. A does chess and tennis, and E has no activities for now, but her geography teacher selected her to do a program for extra challenge that involves workshops or something in some of the more obscure sciences, like philosophy, etc, and she's going to be a tutor for underclassmen this year, so she'll have plenty to do without outside activities, though I'm hoping they'll actually get to have Theater this year. She was so disappointed that they couldn't do it last year because of Covid. What all has Logan signed up for? Is he loving college? Do Owen and Lily miss him? I missed my brother fiercely when he went to college. We are only a year apart and had become really close in high school, involved in speech and debate, student council, drama, etc, together. We spent so much time together and had mostly the same friends, all in HIS class, that when he left, I felt really alone. Most of my friends had graduated with him and gone off to college, too, so I felt left out a lot of the time.

Are we going to get to see pics of Lily in the homecoming dress? (I'm assuming it was for Lily, but I guess I shouldn't make assumptions like that.)

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
I hear you about being busy...I was spread so thin in high school I was transparent! I have to wonder if it's a good or a bad thing that they don't do that here with all the extra-curriculars. You have to join community clubs and pay for it. A does chess and tennis, and E has no activities for now, but her geography teacher selected her to do a program for extra challenge that involves workshops or something in some of the more obscure sciences, like philosophy, etc, and she's going to be a tutor for underclassmen this year, so she'll have plenty to do without outside activities, though I'm hoping they'll actually get to have Theater this year. She was so disappointed that they couldn't do it last year because of Covid. What all has Logan signed up for? Is he loving college? Do Owen and Lily miss him? I missed my brother fiercely when he went to college. We are only a year apart and had become really close in high school, involved in speech and debate, student council, drama, etc, together. We spent so much time together and had mostly the same friends, all in HIS class, that when he left, I felt really alone. Most of my friends had graduated with him and gone off to college, too, so I felt left out a lot of the time.

Are we going to get to see pics of Lily in the homecoming dress? (I'm assuming it was for Lily, but I guess I shouldn't make assumptions like that.)
Logan is doing the triathlon club, waterskiing club, and several engineering clubs in addition to all of his honors classes. He is definitely busy, but absolutely loving it! He had a rough start with going out of state and not knowing anyone, but he's settled in nicely now. We go out to see him next weekend for Family Weekend and I can't wait to see him! The other two definitely miss him, but are also starting to settle into their new routines. Owen is having a hard time sleeping since he and Logan have always shared a room. Yes, the dress is for Lily and I can definitely post pics!

PolynesianPrincess

Epcot had an 11:00 opening the day we went, and we got to the Pop/AoA Skyliner station at about 9:30. The line into the International Gateway started moving at about 10:30. And we were in line by 7:30 for a 9:00 opening at DHS.

We just found out they won't have boarding groups the day we're going to DHS and they won't have started lightning lane yet either so if we want to ride it, we will have to get to the park before opening. Your pics of the crowds moving to GE at rope drop scare me because that was just for Smuggler's Run! Add in people who are going to be headed that way to get in line for Rise and I'm sure it's going to be CRAZY!!!!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
We just found out they won't have boarding groups the day we're going to DHS and they won't have started lightning lane yet either so if we want to ride it, we will have to get to the park before opening. Your pics of the crowds moving to GE at rope drop scare me because that was just for Smuggler's Run! Add in people who are going to be headed that way to get in line for Rise and I'm sure it's going to be CRAZY!!!!
Yeah, that stinks and I don't envy you at all! Hopefully it all works out for you!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Another brief pause, Lily got invited to Homecoming on Friday!
242254922_3007791429437828_7239389463163482557_n.jpg

Now, back to the report.

Saturday, July 17 Animal Kingdom

We were up and at the bus stop by about 6:45 for an 8:00 opening.
IMG_2593.JPG

We didn't wait long at all and were walking to the front of the park by 7:20.
IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2596.JPG

IMG_2598.JPG

IMG_2599.JPG

There was no wait to get in and we were soon seeing my favorite park icon!!
IMG_2604.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2606.JPG

IMG_2607.JPG

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
All of the rides were on our must do list this day, so we decided to head with the herd to Flight of Passage and get it over with. We were fairly near the front of the line up. They let us start getting into the actual queue at about 7:45. It was much more orderly than the Smuggler's Run herd!
IMG_2609.JPG

IMG_2610.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2613.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2621.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

IMG_2624.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom