Pre-Trip Our Journey to the Dark Side, June 2018

Shhh! Listen closely! Do you hear it? That's the sound of my heart being ripped apart because we are going to Florida, but NOT. GOING. INTO. ANY. DISNEY. PARKS!!!

First, let me introduce us! I'm Amy, and I'm (obviously) a Disney addict! I will be traveling with my husband, Brian, and our kids, Logan, Lily, and Owen. This is my family during out trip last June:
PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_403536330024.JPG

I had a kid free trip all planned out for our 20th anniversary in December that Brian had agreed to. We were going to stay at Caribbean Beach Resort since that is where we honeymooned, check out the Christmas decorations at all the resorts, enjoy some fine dining, and only go into the MK for a Christmas party. The no parks was a compromise, as I would have liked to see the new decorations at DHS, as well as the different countries at Epcot, but Brian was really worried about the crowds. We hadn't booked anything yet, as I was waiting to see what discounts came out and Southwest flights aren't out for December yet, but we had already talked about where we would book ADRs and which resorts we wanted to be sure to check out, etc.

Fast forward to last week when Brian says he wants to talk to me about this summer. We had decided we would just make a little weekend trip or two with the kids since we had our epic 2 week trip to Disney/Universal/SeaWorld last year, and two big trips just aren't in the budget this year, as Logan will be driving soon and will need a car and I can only imagine what our insurance is going to look like!! He says to me, "I've been thinking.." Besides me thinking to myself, "Don't hurt yourself"!!, I knew I wasn't going to like what he was going to say. He had decided that he would rather spend the money for a trip with the kids than us go alone to Disney. Ouch!! I really do understand, but 20 years is a big deal and I was really looking forward to this trip! So I sucked it up and started discreetly questioning the kids about where they would like to go. There was much discussion among them and the consensus was Universal. Ouch!! Once again, I understand because there really is nothing new and exciting at Disney for them this year (I don't count Toy Story Land, and don't even know if it will be open when we go!), but it still breaks my heart!!

We will, however, spend a little time at Disney Springs, and have dinner at 'Ohana so I can get a little bit of the Disney magic. I will be sure to report back about the Disney portion of the trip, as short as it may be, but I can also do Universal if anyone is interested!

Okay, so on with the details:
When: We will be driving down again this year. We got big groans from the kids when they heard this, but when given the choice to drive or stay home, they got onboard with the driving! We will leave early Monday morning, June 11 and return on Saturday, June 16.
Where: We will be staying at Hard Rock Hotel again, but this time in a deluxe room so we have a pull out sofa and a little extra square footage. The regular room last year was a little tight once we set the cot up for the third kid!
What: We got 3 park, 4 day park to park tickets, so we will be checking out Volcano Bay this year!
Disney portion: We are planning on doing Volcano Bay on Thursday, June 14 which shouldn't take all day, so the plan is to head to Disney Springs either before or after dinner at 'Ohana.

The really nice thing is that I don't really have to do any more planning if I don't want to! We plan to just eat when and where we decide once we get there! What a novel concept!! I do already have an ADR for 'Ohana, it is just later than I would ultimately like since we made it well into the 180 day window, but I'll keep checking back periodically.

The kids are most looking forward to:
IMG_1131.JPG

Anything and everything to do with Harry Potter!!

I am most looking forward to:
IMG_1116.JPG

Lunch at Three Broomsticks!! With frozen Butterbeer!!

Sorry about all of the dialogue and not many pictures, I just knew you guys would understand my angst!!

ELeigh

Shhh! Listen closely! Do you hear it? That's the sound of my heart being ripped apart because we are going to Florida, but NOT. GOING. INTO. ANY. DISNEY. PARKS!!!

First, let me introduce us! I'm Amy, and I'm (obviously) a Disney addict! I will be traveling with my husband, Brian, and our kids, Logan, Lily, and Owen. This is my family during out trip last June:
View attachment 262314

I had a kid free trip all planned out for our 20th anniversary in December that Brian had agreed to. We were going to stay at Caribbean Beach Resort since that is where we honeymooned, check out the Christmas decorations at all the resorts, enjoy some fine dining, and only go into the MK for a Christmas party. The no parks was a compromise, as I would have liked to see the new decorations at DHS, as well as the different countries at Epcot, but Brian was really worried about the crowds. We hadn't booked anything yet, as I was waiting to see what discounts came out and Southwest flights aren't out for December yet, but we had already talked about where we would book ADRs and which resorts we wanted to be sure to check out, etc.

Fast forward to last week when Brian says he wants to talk to me about this summer. We had decided we would just make a little weekend trip or two with the kids since we had our epic 2 week trip to Disney/Universal/SeaWorld last year, and two big trips just aren't in the budget this year, as Logan will be driving soon and will need a car and I can only imagine what our insurance is going to look like!! He says to me, "I've been thinking.." Besides me thinking to myself, "Don't hurt yourself"!!, I knew I wasn't going to like what he was going to say. He had decided that he would rather spend the money for a trip with the kids than us go alone to Disney. Ouch!! I really do understand, but 20 years is a big deal and I was really looking forward to this trip! So I sucked it up and started discreetly questioning the kids about where they would like to go. There was much discussion among them and the consensus was Universal. Ouch!! Once again, I understand because there really is nothing new and exciting at Disney for them this year (I don't count Toy Story Land, and don't even know if it will be open when we go!), but it still breaks my heart!!

We will, however, spend a little time at Disney Springs, and have dinner at 'Ohana so I can get a little bit of the Disney magic. I will be sure to report back about the Disney portion of the trip, as short as it may be, but I can also do Universal if anyone is interested!

When: We will be driving down again this year. We got big groans from the kids when they heard this, but when given the choice to drive or stay home, they got onboard with the driving! We will leave early Monday morning, June 11 and return on Saturday, June 16.
Where: We will be staying at Hard Rock Hotel again, but this time in a deluxe room so we have a pull out sofa and a little extra square footage. The regular room last year was a little tight once we set the cot up for the third kid!
What: We got 3 park, 4 day park to park tickets, so we will be checking out Volcano Bay this year!
Disney portion: We are planning on doing Volcano Bay on Thursday, June 14 which shouldn't take all day, so the plan is to head to Disney Springs either before or after dinner at 'Ohana.

The really nice thing is that I don't really have to do any more planning if I don't want to! We plan to just eat when and where we decide once we get there! What a novel concept!! I do already have an ADR for 'Ohana, it is just later than I would ultimately like since we made it well into the 180 day window, but I'll keep checking back periodically.

View attachment 262317

View attachment 262326

Sorry about all of the dialogue and not many pictures, I just knew you guys would understand my angst!!
When I was the age your kids are now, I definitely thought Universal was cooler than Disney so I don't blame them. I haven't been since they initially added WWH

View attachment 262314

View attachment 262317

View attachment 262326

I felt the same way about Disney vs Universal at that age so can't blame them, please do share all of your trip when you go! I haven't been to Universal since they first opened Harry Potter (and it was so packed I didn't enjoy it properly) and I am hoping to make time on my 2019 trip. The food from three broomsticks looks amazinggg

Zipadeelady

OH MY!! I totally understand your angst. My last trip was pretty much a no park trip but in the end I had a great time. When we first started planning I was hoping J would cave and we would go to more parks but in the end I'm glad we didn't.

I think you'll have a great time though at Universal. With DTD and Ohana you'll get a little bit of Disney in there. Hopefully it will tame the beast within :happy:

Last edited:

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
When I was the age your kids are now, I definitely thought Universal was cooler than Disney so I don't blame them. I haven't been since they initially added WWH

I felt the same way about Disney vs Universal at that age so can't blame them, please do share all of your trip when you go! I haven't been to Universal since they first opened Harry Potter (and it was so packed I didn't enjoy it properly) and I am hoping to make time on my 2019 trip. The food from three broomsticks looks amazinggg
I totally understand why they chose Universal over Disney! I'll be fine by the time we get there, just not too excited at the moment! And the food at Three Broomsticks WAS amazing!

OH MY!! I totally understand your angst. My last trip was pretty much a no park trip but in the end I had a great time. When we first started planning I was hoping J would cave and we would go to more parks but in the end I'm glad we didn't.

I think you'll have a great time though at Universal. With DTD and Ohana you'll get a little bit of Disney in there. Hopefully it will tame the beast within :happy:
I was actually really looking forward to the minimal park time once I got used to the idea! Universal will be fun, I just need a little time to get over myself and start looking forward to it!

No Disney parks--to be so close yet so far away is a bummer. At least you're getting in some Disney stuff though!!
Bless you for driving. I don't think I could do that. That's a long time in the car.

Looking forward to more!!
Definitely not looking forward to the drive! We swore we would never drive again after last year, but the cost for 5 people to fly is prohibitive at the moment since we waited so late to decide to go!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
I wonder if your report is a sign of me needing to change next year's plans LOL. I've been thinking of cancelling next year's Disney Cruise for a week at Universal. Hmm.....
Hmmm, that would be a difficult choice. I know I would love to do another Disney cruise, but the price gets me every time I look into one!

I am glad you will get to do some Disney things on your trip. I haven’t really read anything from people who have actually been to Volcano Bay. I am interested to hear how you like it compared to the Disney water parks. I do love the Harry Potter areas of both Universal parks.
I am definitely excited to check out Volcano Bay. I'm not really much of a water park person, but I am intrigued by the pictures I have seen! I will be sure cover it in my trip report!

LeighM

Hmmm, that would be a difficult choice. I know I would love to do another Disney cruise, but the price gets me every time I look into one!

!

I did the math and Universal would actually save us $1000. But then I think about the ever increasing prices of a Disney cruise and figure its better to do it sooner rather than later. We should've kept our cruise last year when it was less expensive. Never enough time or money to do everything LOL.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
No Disney??? Is your husband crazy!!!

At least you get some Disney magic, even if you aren’t going into the parks! I’m excited to read more!
Actually, my husband would have been fine with Disney or Universal, it was the kids who wanted Universal! Brian was just worried about the amount of people we would encounter in the parks the week before Christmas if we had gone then!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
I did the math and Universal would actually save us $1000. But then I think about the ever increasing prices of a Disney cruise and figure its better to do it sooner rather than later. We should've kept our cruise last year when it was less expensive. Never enough time or money to do everything LOL.
Yep, the cruises are fantastic, but way expensive, especially since there are 5 of us, so we have to either get one of the bigger verandah rooms or 2 rooms! I'm sure whichever you choose will be great!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
I am so sorry about your angst!!! But you will still get a little disney here and there and for that you must be thankful ;)

Do you want to hurt me right now?

Do they make Harry Potter lularoe? Haha!
LOL! Not wanting to hurt you! I am grateful that we are able to do this for our kids, and that I will get a little bit of Disney in!!

No Potter Lularoe, but I heard they are coming out with an Origami Owl line that I will have to check out for Lily!

amjt660

Premium Member
Hi Amy
I am glad you are going back to Florida and glad for your kids that they get to go too.
Brian owes you big time with something else for the 20th though (jewelry usual helps right?)

Enjoy your time at USF and try to sneak in as much WDW as you can

I hope Brian is doing better physically and will be ready for the next trip

Max

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Hi Amy
I am glad you are going back to Florida and glad for your kids that they get to go too.
Brian owes you big time with something else for the 20th though (jewelry usual helps right?)

Enjoy your time at USF and try to sneak in as much WDW as you can

I hope Brian is doing better physically and will be ready for the next trip

Max
Thanks, Max! Brian definitely owes me!! We will be discussing it as December gets closer! His knees are doing much better and he shoud be good to go this year!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
I am glad his knees are doing better
I have had 3 ACL reconstructions so I feel for him

But not enough sympathy to let him off the hook for your special present!!

T and I will celebrate 27 years in June

Max
They still bother him in this extreme cold we've had recently, but they are better than they were!

I'll let him know you have high expectations!!

Congratulations!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom